Went to look at a car last night...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I have the itch!!!

I am going to test drive it again on my lunch today so I can take it on the highway..

It is a 2000 Honda Civic SI coupe, and it is sooooooo zippy
Way faster than my crappy car..I am kind of in love with it..

What is the problem you ask? Well its been in a little fender bender...it has been fully fixed, but I still am not sure if I should buy it when it has been in an accident. The lady at thte dealership told me straight out though, she could have not told me and I wouldn't have known...

I dunno, but its soooooooooo cute
Frick!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh it sounds great, and That's a good sign that she was honest with you, are there any other ones comparable that haven't been in an accident?
How many miles are on it??

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, my dad told me never to settle with the first car you look at, especially used. Test drive 2 or 3 and compare.

Have fun test driving though!! I love doing that! There's actually a BMW dealership on the corner from where I work and even though I'm not looking for a car I thought it would be fun to test drive one day!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Ohhh it sounds great, and That's a good sign that she was honest with you, are there any other ones comparable that haven't been in an accident?
How many miles are on it??
The problem is, there are NO automatic Honda Civics in London in my price range
I have been looking for weeks, so this one is looking pretty attractive. There are 166000 kms on it..Thats about 20000 over the average for that year.

Originally Posted by lunasmom

Yea, my dad told me never to settle with the first car you look at, especially used. Test drive 2 or 3 and compare.

Have fun test driving though!! I love doing that! There's actually a BMW dealership on the corner from where I work and even though I'm not looking for a car I thought it would be fun to test drive one day!!
Yeah, I wish there were more to test drive, I can't stinking find any.

Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Oh and get like a month of unlimited carfax and run every VIN you test drive. That will tell you if it has been in an accident or not.
Have fun! I love test driving cars!

Oh and here are the reviews from Edmunds if you haven't read the reviews for it yet!

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/hon...56&dcr_usein=u
Thanks Brandi!! Does anyone know if Carfax works for Canadian cars too?

I have checked the reviews..they are always rave reviews for Hondas

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In Canada you are entitled to get the complete history of the car and I do believe it is through Carfax. I'd have to confirm that with my hubby though. The lady was being honest with you because she is required to - not just because she's necessarily a nice person.

166,000 miles on a gas engine is a lot of mileage. If it were me, I'd keep looking.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Yosemite about the mileage on the car-if you plan on financing it many lenders would be hesitant due to the amount of miles on the car. If you do plan on buying it I would really think about getting extended warranty coverage.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

166,000 miles on a gas engine is a lot of mileage. If it were me, I'd keep looking.
Thats Kilometers, and thats not high at all for a Honda
Its only 20,000 over average for that model year.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I agree with Yosemite about the mileage on the car-if you plan on financing it many lenders would be hesitant due to the amount of miles on the car. If you do plan on buying it I would really think about getting extended warranty coverage.
The kilometers is no issue for the financing company..For another car it might be, but they do not take as bad of a beating as domestic vehicles when it comes to engine wear and tear..so 166000 kms is not bad at all

That isn't even my issue at all..my issue is the accident thing

Eep!! Used car shopping is so iffy

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Thats Kilometers, and thats not high at all for a Honda
Its only 20,000 over average for that model year.
I realize it's kilometres but it is high for a gas engine. Granted Honda's are great cars and last well (I have had 2 in my lifetime that were like the energizer bunny
) but at an average of 24,000 kms per year that is like almost 1 year over the average for that model year.

We never buy new cars as my hubby is handy and knowledgeable. Do you have a mechanic you trust that can check the car out before you sign on the dotted line? It's worth it if you can get that done and the seller should have no objection if they are sincere and honest.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I realize it's kilometres but it is high for a gas engine. Granted Honda's are great cars and last well (I have had 2 in my lifetime that were like the energizer bunny
) but at an average of 24,000 kms per year that is like almost 1 year over the average for that model year.

We never buy new cars as my hubby is handy and knowledgeable. Do you have a mechanic you trust that can check the car out before you sign on the dotted line? It's worth it if you can get that done and the seller should have no objection if they are sincere and honest.
Yep, I will get my dad and my mechanic to check it out on the hoist and everything before I sign...I have to I know nothing about buying a car..

I even drove the thing to my exes place last night so he could look at it for me
We haven't seen eachother in months and I just popped in and buzzed him down to look at the car
Good thing he has patience...Dang, I am going to miss dating a car guy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Yep, I will get my dad and my mechanic to check it out on the hoist and everything before I sign...I have to I know nothing about buying a car..

I even drove the thing to my exes place last night so he could look at it for me
We haven't seen eachother in months and I just popped in and buzzed him down to look at the car
Good thing he has patience...Dang, I am going to miss dating a car guy.
Excellent. I hope it all works out for you since it sounds like you have already fallen in love so to speak.

My last car (Passat diesel) had a tree fall on it and it was written off by the insurance company. Somebody fixed it up, re-registered it and when we bought it we drove it for 5 years and it is still running. I got a Jetta TDI last summer but the old Passat is still in our driveway. We use it for a back-up car if one of the other cars are in the shop for any reason.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it works out for you. I'd definitely be having it checked out before I decided. That a lot of clicks for a 2000 model and the fact that it was in an accident may or may not have affected it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took it on the highway today at lunch, and brought a friend so she could test every little do hickey in the car. Everything works, and it drives beautifully

The asking price was $6995, and I offered $5800, so I should find out this afternoon if I get it or not...

If my offer gets approved, its still getting checked by mechanic, to make sure there are no lingering affects from the accident that it had.

I hope it all works out..I am nervous
I actually have anxiety thinking about spending all that money

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got anxiety too when I signed the papers for my new car too... best of luck to you!!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat i hope it works out for you!! Sounds like a good deal!! I bought my honda (1992 Prelude) for $3000 with 160,000 + miles on it last year. She is still going *knock on wood* even though I ran her hot and had to have the engine rebuilt!
but that was my fault!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder when she'll call to tell me if my offer has been accepted or not...

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything works out for you! Buying a car can make you anxious, I sure was the second time I got one. I was putting more money down into another car because I hated the one I had, so I can understand how you feel about putting so much money down and not being sure about the reliability of the car especially since it was in an accident.
If she doesn't call you back within a certain time period, I would call and ask about the status. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you
Show us some pictures if you do get it! Good Luck! And do get a carfax on it!