What am I doing wrong

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Dino is on Desk Buddy duties and enjoying the sun

then Teddy wants to take over - heres a video of how it all worked
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/MOOFIGIRL/?action=view&current=videohell007.flv

Before you watch the video - heres what I am now wondering

I give Teddy time-out for being over zealous, usually its with Miss Moofi, now every time he comes into the house and spots Miss Moofi he goes into stealth mode and hunts her down, she has a bit of a go back but he usually wins, she either runs off or I intervene and put him back out.

So is this tactic wrong - by seperating them all the time, does it mean he's is gonna fight with her.

Feliway aint helping and Teddy's neuter op. isnt until early March

You can see he's more than half the size of Dino and he still goes in, you can see Teddy is the aggressor. Dont worry it sounds worse that it was, Teddy backed down and ran off, lets face it Dino has got his weight on his side

arrggghh help
any more ideas folks ?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry but it's an entertaining video.
Things like that happens all the time at my home. Between the young ones it starts as a play session and whoever wins gets to be king/queen of the game only. Between the older cats it is really a fight for the alpha post and as you know, the alpha cat position is never permanent.
Teddy is definitely dominant. Hopefully he'll calm down after he gets neutered or I should say less demanding for the top cat post. I would not interfere too much since they do settle it among themselves.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Teddy is all kitten!!! You can see that he responds to your voice when you scold him, but the kitten in him doesn't give him any self control.

What I find is that the young-uns in my house eventually get manners from the oldsters and it takes a more than a few pounces like this for the adults to put them in their place. If they don't work thru it, they won't get their order established.

By the looks on Moofi's face, I'd say she is annoyed and probably won't tolerate Teddy's antics for long.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that looks so much like what Wickett does to Frankie. I don't step in or scold him uless it gets bad. Usually after Wickett lunges at Frankie she'll either smack him down, get up and chase him or run off herself. If he runs after her I usually step in then too because I know she's leaving to escape the situation.

When is Teddy being neutered? You said early March but that can't be right unless you mean next year?! Anyway, I'd let them have it out as long as no ones really being hurt and I bet as he gets older and also fixed that he'll calm down some.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww...Teddy thinks he's a big bad panther.

I agree - as long as there is no blood, I'd just let them duke it out. They have to establish the proper pecking order, and Teddy may NEED to get put into his place a couple of times by the older cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

When is Teddy being neutered? You said early March but that can't be right unless you mean next year?! Anyway, I'd let them have it out as long as no ones really being hurt and I bet as he gets older and also fixed that he'll calm down some.
oo yep meant April ! 4th to be exact, so quite a few days still to go

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ming Loy does that all the time to our other kitties. How they respond depends upon who she's jumping: Tuxedo waps her back, bites her ear, she flops on her back with all her paws out - Tuxie often ends up with a scratch on his nose.

The others usually just give her a wap and run away.

BTW - it's really cute video! I don't think you're doing anything wrong.
Just make sure you don't physically intervene - they do have to work it out. I think it's primarily that Teddy's young! Perhaps giving him some extra play time will help. Kitties sometimes bother each other just because they're bored. Especially when they're young, have lots of energy..... they're just looking for something to do.

Laurie

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ the end lol. I wanted to see what happened!!

It reminds me of Saki when he terrorizes Zoey
Usually you just have to let them work it out but if it gets too much I clap my hands loudly so they'll break it up.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's tame compared to what happens in my house!
We have lots of "boxing" and romping, rolling and hissing! Most of it's just play, but sometimes it does become a bit obsessive so I make some noise and distract them. I've learned that Callie is a big wuss and hisses at the drop of a hat for no good reason, so I don't give much credit to that when they're in "play mode".

Stephanie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My observations- the direct stare is an invite to a battle. But because the cats are facing each other, they can't see directly in front of them, therefore they are responding to scent. Neutralize the scent by dabbing them three times a day with pure vanilla extract. You only need a bit on the end of your finger, put it under their chins, on the shoulder and the base of the tail.

The ears back are a warning that this cat wishes to be left alone. Flattened means that the war is imminent. Cats either jump into battle and go airborne, or they roll over and rabbit kick, claw and bite each other.

You should back out of the equation. Make no sound when they are in confrontation, they will respond to any stress you feel or uneasiness. Have a dark blanket nearby or a wooden chair. If they go into intense battle then toss the blanket over them, or gently insert the chair into the middle of them, taking care not to catch a paw or a tail. NEVER under any circumstances do you pick up a cat that has been in battle with your bare hands. Use the blanket, or a broom to guide the cat into a room, shut the door and leave him be. Only approach him once he starts grooming himself. They stay hyped up a long time and trust me, cat bites hurt!

The bottom line is when we intervene, it stops the process from happening. What you more than likely have is two alphas both wanting to be control. Outside in the world in a colony, the strongest will drive away the weakest by fighting with them. Inside, they don't have that luxury because our homes are nothing but large padded cages.

Be sure that you have levels where you cats can get off the floor. Top of the :censor::censor::censor::censor:, clear off a bookshelf, buy cat ramps and cat condos. Also make sure you have three litter pans and separate eating plates for both of them.

It looks scarier than it is, and growls can be unnerving. But just from the short piece I watched, it looks like you have a new alpha on the block and he isn't taking any guff. They will work it out=

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

That's tame compared to what happens in my house!
We have lots of "boxing" and romping, rolling and hissing! Most of it's just play, but sometimes it does become a bit obsessive so I make some noise and distract them. I've learned that Callie is a big wuss and hisses at the drop of a hat for no good reason, so I don't give much credit to that when they're in "play mode".

Stephanie
LOL Zoey is the same way! She hisses and growls at Saki when he 'attacks' her or even starts to get near her! But she's all talk
Then she'll run away like she's had enough, but then 2 seconds later turn around and chase HIM instead. It's pretty comical, and no one ever gets hurt even though it sometimes 'sounds' worse than it actually is.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's almost normal in my house with the exception of hissing and fighting. When Daisy is sun bathing and Jumpy wants her spot, he just walks all over her until Daisy gets annoyed and walks away. I do my best in providing various sun spots so they don't need to fight over it. In this case, it's always Jumpy that hogs meanwhile Daisy is the mellow one. This goes the same with toys so I try to get them in pairs.

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww bless him! Teddy is a duplicate of Humphrey!!!!

I want to get another cat but I think Humphrey would respond in exactly that way every time!

They are both very beautiful cats

Claire

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx