I need someone to talk to

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

At the moment I'm suffering quite badly from anxiety/panic attacks.

I thought I had it all under control and had been off my medication for over 5 months. Everything seemed to be going well, got married, bought a house and we've just moved in.

Then the bad little monster that lives in my brain and makes everything seem bad popped up again.

I just can't stand it - Everything feels like it going wrong - I feel like my heart is being ripped out of my chest. I know there is nothing wrong, my husband loves me very much, I have two fantastic kitties who love me very much, I have a supporting family, a good job, but the pain just won't go away.

I can't function - I haven't eaten for days and I've already lost 1.5 kilos.

Aaron's gone away for a bucks weekend - I made him go because it just wasn't fair to make him stay home, even though he offered to do so.

I have my Dad here to be with me so I won't be alone.

Why does it have to hurt so much??

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are feeling like this
Perhaps you need to go back on the meds for a little while.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am sorry you are having a hard time and having had anxiety attacks myself, I can imagine how scared you must be. I am glad your Dad is with you.

Have you though about therapy? Medication can help but as you know without looking into the root of this it can stop working after you stop taking it. If you already have a therapist maybe you can talk to them about another medication type?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
, its going to be ok,your not alone right?, your dad with you, and your cats. Is there anything you can do to relax and keep your mind busy? read a book, work aruond the house, a game?

If you need to then please call your doctor, and try the meds again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my doctor has suggested I go back on my meds and I'm going to see a psychologist as well.

I really hate feeling like this - Its just so awful

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys - It really helps to have people to talk too.

Anxiety/Panic attacks are just so scary - Especially as I know they are irrational thoughts, but I just can't stop them from haunting me.

I try to keep my mind busy, but just one second that I stop concentratiing and it just comes straight back.

ARGH!!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it does sound really bad.
do you think you can try to eat a little something?, maybe some soup, it would do you some good. have you been able to sleep?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad is making me some chicken soup
Hopefully I'll be able to get some of that down

Any food just makes me feel sick at the moment - Its a vicious cycle, my stomach hurts because I haven't eaten, but I put food to my mouth and feel like I want to vomit.

Sleeping comes and goes - Once I'm asleep its ok, but it can take me a while to get to sleep because obviously in the dark when its quiet, is when the little devil in my head comes out to play

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, i dont suppose telling him its nap time and go way, would do much good

hey, i remembered a old gf used to put headphones with some relaxing music, when she used to get those attacks, i would sit and read, how she would lay on the couch, she said that would help her to relax and sleep,.. with having me there, and the music.
dont know if that would work for you , but its a idea,

Well if you cant eat then maybe just the water part of the soup would be good

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could tell him it was nap time

Thanks - I might try that, at least give me something to distract my mind.

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this. I have suffered with HORRIBLE anxiety myself for the last 6 years, its still a constant battle. Unfortunately I did not get meds and started abusing pain killers as a result because it was the only time my irrational thoughts, racy heart and panick attacks subsided. I am now on zoloft and I still have anxiety but it makes it so that I can get through the day. I would highly suggest talking to a doctor about medication. When someone suffers from severe anxiety its often not something you can "talk yourself out of". Its chemical related, and it will affect your whole body.. trust me, I have physical symptoms and paranoia that still won't go away from the years I left myself untreated and I'm only 21 now. I have been trampled by a horse and spent 6 months in the hospital with a broken femur and torn arteries in my legs and it wasn't as bad as how anxiety feels.. I know completely where your coming from so please don't feel you are alone. Heres some tips that help if your not on meds, I know it won't take away the feeling but it may help to take the edge off. I know some may sound silly..
1. Take a hot bath
2. Make soup with ginger root or drink some orange juice
3. Spend time with your pets
4. Write a list of things you are thankful for
In general try to get your mind off of thinking about the fact you feel bad. I know thats impossible to do sometimes, especially during panic attacks but its worth a shot. I hope you feel better soon.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artharitis

I am sorry you are going through this. I have suffered with HORRIBLE anxiety myself for the last 6 years, its still a constant battle. Unfortunately I did not get meds and started abusing pain killers as a result because it was the only time my irrational thoughts, racy heart and panick attacks subsided. I am now on zoloft and I still have anxiety but it makes it so that I can get through the day. I would highly suggest talking to a doctor about medication. When someone suffers from severe anxiety its often not something you can "talk yourself out of". Its chemical related, and it will affect your whole body.. trust me, I have physical symptoms and paranoia that still won't go away from the years I left myself untreated and I'm only 21 now. I have been trampled by a horse and spent 6 months in the hospital with a broken femur and torn arteries in my legs and it wasn't as bad as how anxiety feels.. I know completely where your coming from so please don't feel you are alone. Heres some tips that help if your not on meds, I know it won't take away the feeling but it may help to take the edge off. I know some may sound silly..
1. Take a hot bath
In general try to get your mind off of thinking about the fact you feel bad. I know thats impossible to do sometimes, especially during panic attacks but its worth a shot. I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you

It's sometime nice to know that you aren't alone, and that others do understand how you feel - Its such a complex thing to explain to people, especially when there it nothing apparently wrong in your life!

I have gone back on my meds, but it unfortunately takes time to kick in.

I so wish there was an easy solution

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to get occaisonal panic attacks as a teen, but have managed to control them for the last 15 years. My trick is to recognize them at the onset and know them for what they are :irrational, physical reactions to pent up stress. Now i deep breath (try taking some Yoga classes that focus on breathing), or distract myself with something, or worse comes to worse close myself up in a dark room with my boyfriend, (my mom in high school), or a friend on the phone and calm myself down with rationalized talking. The trick is to stop your brain from spinning around and realize that nothing terrible is happening (you're not having a heart attack).
This sounds corny, but has worked for me. Go for a walk and focus on the beauty of nature. Or focus on how beautiful your cats are. Take some photos of either.
Have you considered a psychotherapist or behavioural therapist. They don't rely on drugs to cure. Another option is a good hypnotist. Sometimes just realigning your thought patterns can do wonders.
As an adult in the modern world, we take on tons of stress that we don't even realize. When I'm overloaded, simple things like excess phone voicemail messages and emails, can trigger me to feel anxiety. Gone are the days of spending your free time baking an apple pie and feeling relaxed. I wish it were still that way, but all our modern demands and immediate connections to the outside world actually bring a bundle of stress.
You're certainly not alone. I have a few friends and family (both men and women) who suffer from bouts of anxiety attacks. I sometimes thinks it hits people without kids or whos kids have left the nest, more frequently. They don't have all the baby/child problems to wear them out ie. leaving them with more 'me' time to worry about stuff.
One more tip. If you can come up with some activities in your life that put you in control, this could help. I've always found that the more control I have in my life, work etc, the less panicky feelings I have. Wierd, but true. It's still stressful having control, but less stressful than not knowing you have control. Even if it's something like knitting or pottery or drawing or cooking. OK, an apple pie may help

Good luck and I hope you feel better. Can you talk to your dad about this stuff? Family support is helpful.
In regards to going to bed, do you have a DVD player and TV in your bedroom. I have insomnia due to worrying, and I find watching a movie to be a great distraction at night and helps me fall asleep. If I fall asleep and the movie is still playing, at least I'm in bed and not on the couch!
Reading a good book at night helps to. Try a mystery that totally takes your mind off of stuff.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through this you are not alone though....everyone here has had good advice, and sadly bi polar disorder and such runs in my family my brother both suffer it and my one brother is so bad that he has to take alot of meds, he also gets really bad panic attacks! I have gotten them, I have been depressed, I have gone through alot of things, and I am untreated for it, I started showing signs for all of this in 7th grade so its been 6 years. (my guidence counselor at my jr high told my mom she made an appointment for me to seek anger management because of my moods
my mom was really mad and didnt make me go) But what I usually do is try to think of good things when ever i get depreesed or when a panick attack comes I try to get busy and my mind off of things, I go find the kitties play with them, take pictures! Luckily I have photoshop now so I usually mess around with that, or if i have to cry I just let it all out and usually I am fien but not always, also try a good funny movie, I know when its hard to sometimes even get into a movie then but find one you like that is funny and make you laugh. Call someone, alot of my friends had helped me through panic attacks and alot of other things and make me laugh! It is sometimes hard to concentrate I understand completely but try your hardest to not think about it and get a good laugh somehow, and when u are thinking at night before bed try to have those good thoughts and memories or remembe a part of a movie or tv show u like ! I watch my charmed dvds often when I am down but thats my favorite show
but you are not alone at all
hope u feel better soon!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are just too good

I'm getting in touch with a psychologist - Hopefully she will be able to help me better control these feelings.

My Dad is really good, he's there for me whenever I need to talk, so it my Mum.

Aaron is also the best husband I could ask for - He has put up with so much but is always there for me - Thats why I didn't stop him from going away, its not fair to always burden the people around you.

I'm really bad with being alone at these times, so being able to talk to you guys and having my family around me really helps

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how they are. I wouldn't wish them on anyone. I have socail anxiety disorder and agoraphobia and suffer from panic attacks. They are horrible. I started taking meds though and they seem to be helping a little.

What I try to do is go into a quiet room (for some reason lots of noise makes mine worse) and just try to breathe. I take a deep breath in through my nose, keep it in for a few seconds and then breathe out through my mouth. Sometimes laying down when I start to feel them coming on helps. I can't lay down when I am having one though....I usually can't sit still too long. I have klonopin now too so when I start to feel that way I take my klonopin. It has been a big help.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Night time is just so difficult - I think I'm ok, only to have the silence quickly kill that.

Ugg

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artharitis

1. Take a hot bath
Great advice- I'd suggest giving the medication another go and consider discussing a course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with your psychologist

Hoping you will be okay

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you get some rest. I know it has to be hard, but you got some good ideas here, maybe something will work for you.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SilentNate - I think the Cognitive Therapy was something the psychologist was going to do - Hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment sooner rather than later

Thanks Neetanddave - I've got my kitties and my teddy from when I was a little girl, so I'll just hug them all extra tight