Cleaning My Steam Iron...???

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdie y'all...

My steam irons usually have that handy self-cleaning feature but this one doesn't. I know I can use vinegar to clean out the water deposits/built up inside. What I'd like to know is how much vinegar? Full strength? Half vinegar half water?

Does anyone know?

Does anyone iron anymore?

Does anyone even know what an iron is?

Ok, just kidding. But I'd sure like to know what the correct way to clean it out is, if any of y'all know!

Gracias amigas y amigos!
Hilda>^..^<

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually there are instructions in the booklet that comes with it! I certainly wouldn't go full strength or even half strength.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok Colleen I think we understand

I agree I wouldnt go full strength but I think someone already said that

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually buy such cheap irons that if the time comes that it becomes clogged from ??, I just buy another....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!!!! I was soooo excited when I saw soooo many replies to my thread already!
Thanks Colleen! Thanks Pami!

My instruction booklet is long gone, that much I'm certain of. Maybe I can look it up online...yeah...think I will! But just in case, if anyone else has a suggestion, please post it here!!!

Gracias...
Hilda>^..^<

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hee hee hee - didn't realize mine went in twice! Deleted the second one - no you weren't seeing things!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use vinegar full strength in our electric kettle and it does a great job. I personally would think diluting the vinegar would cut it's cleaning properties.

It's not like the clothes will "taste" like vinegar
I would fill the reserve with undiluted vinegar and let it sit overnight, then rinse repeatedly and thoroughly.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We use vinegar full strength in our electric kettle and it does a great job. I personally would think diluting the vinegar would cut it's cleaning properties.

It's not like the clothes will "taste" like vinegar
I would fill the reserve with undiluted vinegar and let it sit overnight, then rinse repeatedly and thoroughly.
That is what I was going to write!!
But there are products made esp to clean steam irons?? (*Runs to look*)

EUREKA!! I have "Whink steam iron cleaner" Looks like I've had it a while-the cap is dusty. I also looked on my CLR bottle but it didn't mention iron but you can use in coffee makers.

Also to prevent clogging use only distilled water in your iron!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

That is what I was going to write!!
But there are products made esp to clean steam irons?? (*Runs to look*)

EUREKA!! I have "Whink steam iron cleaner" Looks like I've had it a while-the cap is dusty. I also looked on my CLR bottle but it didn't mention iron but you can use in coffee makers.

Also to prevent clogging use only distilled water in your iron!!
I like CLR and Limeaway for some things, but prefer to use vinegar as it is more environmentally friendly and it's cheaper than those "specialty" products.

I use distilled water in my iron as well.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use CLR. It works great. I use it in the toilet, in the coffee maker, in the shower head, down drains.

Just make sure you rinse really well when done.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it! I was planning on using the vinegar, but I hadn't thought about letting it sit overnight
, what a grand idea! I was just going to pour it in and while holding the iron over a sink, press the steam button repeatedly until all the water/vinegar got used up. I figured if I do that 2-3 times, it should clean out the innards pretty well. However, I will leave it overnight instead and see how that helps! Gracias!

I'd love to be able to use CLR but because of our aerobic septic tank, I'm not even gonna try it...too dangerous. But thanks for the suggestion...I know CLR is awesome for lots of stuff since I used it at our previous home. Thanks again!

Hilda>^..^<

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it! I was planning on using the vinegar, but I hadn't thought about letting it sit overnight
, what a grand idea! I was just going to pour it in and while holding the iron over a sink, press the steam button repeatedly until all the water/vinegar got used up. I figured if I do that 2-3 times, it should clean out the innards pretty well. However, I will leave it overnight instead and see how that helps! Gracias!

I'd love to be able to use CLR but because of our aerobic septic tank, I'm not even gonna try it...too dangerous. But thanks for the suggestion...I know CLR is awesome for lots of stuff since I used it at our previous home. Thanks again!

Hilda>^..^<
Sounds good. You might want to give it a little shake from time to time to get things moving.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm...I haven't ironed in about a year probably and I never used the steam feature...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

Hmm...I haven't ironed in about a year probably and I never used the steam feature...
Thanks for posting this! I was wondering when some brave soul would admit to not ironing much!
Actually, I don't iron anything other than the hubby's clothes he wears to work, but I do like to steam them & starch them and all that jazz.

Hilda>^..^<

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Thanks for posting this! I was wondering when some brave soul would admit to not ironing much!
Actually, I don't iron anything other than the hubby's clothes he wears to work, but I do like to steam them & starch them and all that jazz.

Hilda>^..^<
I actually look for clothes that I won't have to iron!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm one of those strange people that loves to iron. I really do. I even press my hubby's work jeans.
Unfortunately our daughter bought one of those "wrinkly" skirts and when I washed it, I couldn't stand seeing all the wrinkles so I ironed it. She has never let me forget that I ruined her skirt by ironing it.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm one of those strange people that loves to iron. I really do. I even press my hubby's work jeans.
Unfortunately our daughter bought one of those "wrinkly" skirts and when I washed it, I couldn't stand seeing all the wrinkles so I ironed it. She has never let me forget that I ruined her skirt by ironing it.
Well I'll have to admit that the thought of ironing makes me upset, but yep, once I get to doing it, its really very relaxing. My hubby too wears jeans to work these days...although he prefers wearing dressier clothes...and yep, I've got to iron them...those creases have to be clean and sharp...lots of Faultless Starch! LOL! Have you tried the one that is lavendar scented? Oooooo, very nice!

I also remembered that I have to press all the doillies, napkins and stuff I have around the house...so yeah, I actually LOVE pressing those because they look so pretty when I'm done
!

For my niece's wedding a few years back, I wore one of those wrinkly dresses. It was almost floor length and made of lace. Well, from the long trip down south (about 5 hours) and being packed up, I wasn't happy with how it looked when I unpacked it....so....I IRONED IT!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! Actually, it didn't look half bad after all!

Hilda>^..^<