Pate Style Food

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a pate style food that is not one of the brands being recalled? I know it's the cuts and gravy that's being recalled, but I'm suspicious of anything under those brands now.

My finicky princess was eating Authority Ocean Fish, occasionally Nutro Pate, and occasional fancy feast medly. The Fancy Feast has wheat gluten, I'm not sure about the Authority since I had just run out of it.

I have tried fancy feast styles that don't have wheat gluten or by products, Meow Mix that she used to love before I weaned her off it, Whiskas, California Natural, Chicken Soup. She licks on some of them, but usually will just look at me with those eyes as if to say, where's my regular stuff!

I'm at my wits end. She'll starve herself before she'll eat something she doesn't want. It's not lack of appetite either, just her fussiness.

I've sent away for Evangers, Eagle Pack, and Solid Gold, but who knows when they will get here, or if she'll eat any of them. I've spent a lot of money on a lot of good quality brand food that she turns her nose up at.

Thank heaven for my little Swanie Doodle who will eat anything I stick in front of him.

Any advice or help will be appreciated. Thanks!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like Natural Balance and Avoderm. I stocked up on both today.

I'm also continuing to use Innova and Evo. These two foods are made at a facility in North Dakota that the parent company, Natura, SHARES with Menu Foods. Natura states that the North Dakota facility has its own suppliers so there would be no cross contamination with other Menu Foods facilities. See the following for more information:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...119446&page=38

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

My cats like Natural Balance and Avoderm. I stocked up on both today.

I'm also continuing to use Innova and Evo. These two foods are made at a facility in North Dakota that the parent company, Natura, SHARES with Menu Foods. Natura states that the North Dakota facility has its own suppliers so there would be no cross contamination with other Menu Foods facilities. See the following for more information:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...119446&page=38
I think we now have 4 different answers from Natura Pet so I am not sure how much I believe that anymore, also from my research it seems that the Menu Foods plant in that area is in South Dakota there may be one in North Dakota or the person I spoke to could have confused the two, or perhaps I misunderstood her). It is also plant responsible for 100% of the Iams cans according to this so seen as there is a recall on Iams cans someone is not telling the truth (it could be that the website I just gave is wrong, but they were given that info from someone) because the recall affects NJ and Kansas.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
natural balence
solid gold
avoderm
sheba tubs
meow mix
evanger s
eagle pack
felidea

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For awhile my KD cat wasn't eatting his prescription Pate style food. I was able to get him to eat it though once I nuked it on a plate for 10 seconds (makes the scent of the food stronger so it's more appetizing), put some water in the dish, and smashed the pate into it, and stirred it around mixing it all together (You want a consistency sort of like cooked hot oatmeal. If it's too watery and it'll be snubbed, so if there's puddles, spoon the excess water out.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

natural balence
solid gold
avoderm
sheba tubs
meow mix
evanger s
eagle pack
felidea
What kind of Meow Mix is pate? I can't find any.

Is Sheba okay to try? I looked at in the store last night, and saw it was manufactured in Thailand. Which I have to admit concerns me a bit.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

What kind of Meow Mix is pate? I can't find any.

Is Sheba okay to try? I looked at in the store last night, and saw it was manufactured in Thailand. Which I have to admit concerns me a bit.
I'm not sure about the Meow Mix question.

I *think* the Sheba is kind of "shredded" but...ingredient-wise it's very simple, like 4 ingredients, 3 of which are meat - that's it. No wheat gluten that I know of.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more question.

Is Pro Plan okay? Other than being a crappy quality, I mean. I know she will eat certain flavors of that and it's very easy to find.

Thank you all so much on this board, I couldn't get through this mess without you all.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not EXACTLY pate, but one that always goes over real well with my group is Merrick's. It's a "minced" slightly "soupy" consistency...very small bits of food (not "chunky"). I only have one cat that won't eat it...Sir Leopold. Go ahead and say it, Sharky

When you get your hands on that Eagle Pack food, I think she will like that too. The texture reminds me of Nutro Pate...just a wee bit more moist.

ETA: just saw your post about Pro Plan...I'm not sure really. The only Purina food that was pulled was a mighty dog pouch product...it comes from Menu Foods, not sure about other Purina products, really.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

It's not EXACTLY pate, but one that always goes over real well with my group is Merrick's. It's a "minced" slightly "soupy" consistency...very small bits of food (not "chunky"). I only have one cat that won't eat it...Sir Leopold. Go ahead and say it, Sharky
I should have mentioned I've tried every flavor of Merricks on Cindy and she won't eat it. She won't eat Innova either. I also tried Natural Balance, and neither of them would eat that one.

I should have kept a spreadsheet of her rejects
I also should get a picture of her face when I give her something she doesn't want. It's adorable. Frustrating, but adorable. I've always heard the term "finicky cat," but never really knew one before.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I should have mentioned I've tried every flavor of Merricks on Cindy and she won't eat it. She won't eat Innova either. I also tried Natural Balance, and neither of them would eat that one.

I should have kept a spreadsheet of her rejects
I also should get a picture of her face when I give her something she doesn't want. It's adorable. Frustrating, but adorable. I've always heard the term "finicky cat," but never really knew one before.
I have seen some of those priceless looks
With all of that in mind, I may take back the encouragement I gave about the Eagle Pack. Although, the Merrick's and the Innova have a little bit of a sweet smell to them, maybe that turns her off. I don't know.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have seen some of those priceless looks
With all of that in mind, I may take back the encouragement I gave about the Eagle Pack. Although, the Merrick's and the Innova have a little bit of a sweet smell to them, maybe that turns her off. I don't know.
Thanks. I've located a store locally that carries Eagle Pack, so I'm going to go get a couple cans to give it a try. She has eaten the Meow Mix shredded stuff, so who knows with her. She doesn't eat that much to begin with at any given time (we call her Cindy Three-Licks), she just likes to have her meal times more often.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks. I've located a store locally that carries Eagle Pack, so I'm going to go get a couple cans to give it a try. She has eaten the Meow Mix shredded stuff, so who knows with her. She doesn't eat that much to begin with at any given time (we call her Cindy Three-Licks), she just likes to have her meal times more often.
My guys like the Nutro and they like the Eagle Pack, so you might be OK. The smaller cans (5.5oz) seem to have a litte "stickier" consistency than the really large cans...not sure, could be my imagination. Mine turned up their nose at the turkey/barley flavor, but they liked the other ones.

My Beandip "three-licks" might get along well with your Cindy.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My Beandip "three-licks" might get along well with your Cindy.

Then I have Swanie who will sidle over and say "Hey, babe, you gonna finish that?"

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Then I have Swanie who will sidle over and say "Hey, babe, you gonna finish that?"
LOL. I have a few of those smooth talkers too.

You've probably already looked, but most of the food co. websites have a "store locator", in case that helps.

Another note...re. the eagle pack food

The other day I checked the eaglepack.com site and it DID state that ALL of their products were made in their own plant. As a matter of fact, I quoted their OLD text in another thread. Now it says something different http://www.eaglepack.com/

" All Eagle Pack dry products are made in our own plants. Our canned foods are NOT involved in the Menu Foods recall. All of our products are safe and we will continue to take every measure to ensure their safety. Eagle Pack products are 100% guaranteed. "

I added the emphasis on dry.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PetGuard makes pate style food. I find it at Whole Foods and other organic/health food type markets, as well as smaller pet stores.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
with pro plan and pet guard read the labels as some contain wheat or wheat gluten

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

with pro plan and pet guard read the labels as some contain wheat or wheat gluten
One thing I noticed about PetGuard: the varieties containing wheat say "Wheat" in the name ("Chicken and Wheat Germ"). But maybe that won't be of comfort to those worrying about different foods being made with the same equipment. I personally feel comfortable buying the non-wheat varieties.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe any pate foods have been on the recall list at all. Another thing is... just because they suspect the source of the wheat glutten they purchased doesn't mean all wheat glutten is suspect or bad.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still have some cans of Iams in my cupboard but they are not the chunks in gravy kind, they are the pate. Should I be worried? I'm not going to buy any more cans of Iams. In fact I'm boycotting everything produced by menu foods. I just don't trust the pet food industry anymore.