Fired?

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

So my job right now is reception/accounts payable. Well the other day a person came in for an interview. I was politely making conversation (as she was waiting for a while and I hate leaving them in silence for so long) and asked her what position her interview was for. Well she replies "reception/accounts".

Now my supervisor hasn't said anything to me regarding firing me or moving me to a different department. There has been talk about adding more desks in our area, but nothing about moving me away from the front.

What do I do?? Do I confront my supervisor? If I do, what do I say?

I have tried to talk to her about it, but every time I even just think about bringing it up with her my whole body starts to shake and I feel very panicky. So I end up sitting back at my desk with nothing said. Part of me just wants to let it be, but the other part is demanding an explanation.

What do you think? I am very confused!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kiki_585

Hello,

So my job right now is reception/accounts payable. Well the other day a person came in for an interview. I was politely making conversation (as she was waiting for a while and I hate leaving them in silence for so long) and asked her what position her interview was for. Well she replies "reception/accounts".

Now my supervisor hasn't said anything to me regarding firing me or moving me to a different department. There has been talk about adding more desks in our area, but nothing about moving me away from the front.

What do I do?? Do I confront my supervisor? If I do, what do I say?

I have tried to talk to her about it, but every time I even just think about bringing it up with her my whole body starts to shake and I feel very panicky. So I end up sitting back at my desk with nothing said. Part of me just wants to let it be, but the other part is demanding an explanation.

What do you think? I am very confused!
Maybe send her an email?

THey might be trying to suprise you with a promotion?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is just going to eat away at you and you have to find out. But you don't want to look insecure to your boss and assume you're getting fired. Perhaps you could ask about them adding new desks?

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The email idea is good....just be HONEST. Tell her the girl told her what position she was applying for...and that you are worried.

However, as I am writing this....perhaps you should not have asked the girl why she was there...and telling your supervisor you are worried, might give her reason to think you don't think you are doing a job well.

I say....stick it out....continue good work...but in the meantime....put your feelers out for other jobs.

Toomany

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Perhaps you could ask about them adding new desks?
thats what I would do,
make it go "so are we adding more desks, there was this nice young lady in the other day interviewing for a job and It got me wondering when were getting those new desks in?"
That way you sound confident in your positon! like you know your doing an awesome job, when are you gonna get some company to sit by!

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

thats what I would do,
make it go "so are we adding more desks, there was this nice young lady in the other day interviewing for a job and It got me wondering when were getting those new desks in?"
That way you sound confident in your positon! like you know your doing an awesome job, when are you gonna get some company to sit by!
Agreed. Thats a good way of putting it.

Its your right to know!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling you're talking about -- it paralyzed me for years. One thing that helped me overcome it was something Dr. Phil said (I don't always agree with him, but often). He said that most of us spend a lot of time worrying "what if," but we don't carry it far enough -- we need to think the question all the way through to its logical answer.

So you're worrying "what if" they're planning to let you go. Okay -- what if they are? You'll want to update your resume and have it ready to run with; you'll want to know why they made this decision and what they will say to prospective employers who call for references; and you'll need to be sure to keep documentation so you can apply for unemployment compensation if you don't find another job before your severance pay runs out.

And that's about it, really. Emotionally, it can be tough... but logistically, it's manageable. And once they've made the decision to let you go, just or unjust, you don't want to work there any longer, anyway. Pooh on 'em!

So the best that can happen is that it turns out they're just adding someone to the staff, not planning to lose you. And the worst that can happen is that you get a chance to start fresh in a new company where people may appreciate you more.

Try not to let it scare you. Even if the worst happens, there's a silver lining!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally don't think that you're being fired. For one, its silly to bring the person in for the interview without telling them hush/hush.

I know that I've been on interviews that were like that. The person didn't know they were being let go, so I was told to play it off and "joining" the crew.

It could've been a mistake on her behalf too...sometimes you think you're being interviewed for one job title, but the description has nothing to do with the title.

Still if it helps or reassures you, talk to your supervisor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice... it's definitely got me thinking. I never thought that asking could make me look bad in my supervisor's eyes. So far I haven't said anything and it's almost been a week. In fact I think it has. The people around me and my supervisor talk to me as if nothing is going to change, so maybe nothing is?

I think I will ask about the desks and casually bring up the girl that came in the other day like suggested. It might be easiest that way. It's just my supervisor has been really busy and kind of testy lately so I don't want to go poking around trying to find an answer and only have her mad at me.

Maybe I will let it go another week or so and then see what's happening. But in the mean time I will update my resume and go job searching. I don't want to be caught off guard. Plus the thought of starting somewhere bran new is kind of exciting.

Thanks again everyone!