Catnip Tea - Am I nuts?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to get Beandip to drink *something* to wash his pills down. After 3 pills, coming at him a 4th time with a syringe of water is not much fun. He's a good boy, but the 3rd pill is usually his limit.
I tried tuna water...he wasn't enthused. Occasionally, he will accept chicken broth. Today I got this crazy idea.

I have these catnip "sachet" toys ...a piece of fabric bundled with catnip inside. So I boiled some water and dropped the toy in to "steep". It had a pretty good catnip smell when I got done. So I offered it to him and he did at least try it...which was better than the tuna water, and certainly better than the syringe.

Am I nuts?
Has anyone done this?
Is it a harmless treat, or can it hurt him?
Any other ideas for a tasty beverage?

Answer any and all that apply.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think you're nuts; that sounds like a pretty good idea. Lots of kitties actually eat catnip, so I'd think a diluted version of it would be ok.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I mentioned this to you in another thread but that cat milk stuff worked for us (and was even better when she gave us a liquid medicine)

Catnip tea sounds fine too though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I think I mentioned this to you in another thread but that cat milk stuff worked for us (and was even better when she gave us a liquid medicine)

Catnip tea sounds fine too though
Ahh, I think you're right. I forgot about the cat milk stuff.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I've been trying to get Beandip to drink *something* to wash his pills down. After 3 pills, coming at him a 4th time with a syringe of water is not much fun. He's a good boy, but the 3rd pill is usually his limit.
I tried tuna water...he wasn't enthused. Occasionally, he will accept chicken broth. Today I got this crazy idea.

I have these catnip "sachet" toys ...a piece of fabric bundled with catnip inside. So I boiled some water and dropped the toy in to "steep". It had a pretty good catnip smell when I got done. So I offered it to him and he did at least try it...which was better than the tuna water, and certainly better than the syringe.

Am I nuts?
Has anyone done this?
Is it a harmless treat, or can it hurt him?
Any other ideas for a tasty beverage?

Answer any and all that apply.
You are definately not nuts. Anything that works as a matter of fact is brilliant. Many brilliant people throughout history were labeled as nuts.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...thanks for the replies and compliments
. After I did it, I couldn't help but think I was *definitely* a crazy cat lady.

Icklemiss...the cat milk stuff worked - he liked it the first time...sort of ignored it today, though. I'll have to work on my technique, as we (Beandip and myself) had a pack of hungry lions rushing in to get a taste. There's no sneaking around here...just can't get away with it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to be safe, I would make tea with just the catnip -- not the toy itself. The fabric, stuffing, glue, etc., could exude dyes and such into the water...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I am with Carol about the glues and stuff ... But My vet did recommend green tea for my girls so ????

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Just to be safe, I would make tea with just the catnip -- not the toy itself. The fabric, stuffing, glue, etc., could exude dyes and such into the water...
Thanks. Yes, the dyes occured to me later. There was no glue, though
It was a simple homemade thing. But you have a good point about the dye.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Well I am with Carol about the glues and stuff ... But My vet did recommend green tea for my girls so ????
Now green tea would be a lot simpler...got the tea bags already. Now just to get him to drink on cue...that will be the trick

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Now green tea would be a lot simpler...got the tea bags already. Now just to get him to drink on cue...that will be the trick
I use it to make "gravey" for the raw

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried catnip tea yourselves ever? its not bad. they sell it here at the market.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

have you tried catnip tea yourselves ever? its not bad. they sell it here at the market.
I tasted a bit of my 'home brew' and it wasn't bad. I'll check around. I wouldn't have thought it would be available like that. Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I tasted a bit of my 'home brew' and it wasn't bad. I'll check around. I wouldn't have thought it would be available like that. Thanks!
yup local herb growers wanted to sell me some...lol

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
great idea!
I have seen it in the grocery store for humans and never would have thought of trying it for the kitties.

Another tip - I buy a big ole bag of small gelcaps (500 for like $5) and put the 3 pills in 1 capsule for my cat. Just make sure they can all be given at the same time.
Of course the pills have to be small enough, but mine are 1/4's and 1'2's so it works out.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

great idea!
I have seen it in the grocery store for humans and never would have thought of trying it for the kitties.

Another tip - I buy a big ole bag of small gelcaps (500 for like $5) and put the 3 pills in 1 capsule for my cat. Just make sure they can all be given at the same time.
Of course the pills have to be small enough, but mine are 1/4's and 1'2's so it works out.
Thanks
That's sort of what I already do. I have the small gelcaps...but one of the pills is a big 500mg human sized supplement. I empty that powder out and it takes up about 2.5 gelcaps. The other 2 very small pills fit in the space leftover.

It's a good idea for anyone though...I love the gelcaps because there's no yucky taste.