Cat Tree Plans/Design Ideas?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a search but everything I came up with was old and not particularly useful.

Now that I know that I can work with wood a bit, and use tools and still have atleast 9 1/2 fingers left, I think I may want to build Reeses a small cat tree. One that's maybe 6' tall or so.

Are there any sites, or do people here have any plans/ideas for cat trees? I'd preferably like it to be as inexpensive as possible, but I know I can only go so far with that
I'd really like to build something that has alot of scratching areas, places she can hide in, climb on, swing on, and just get alot of uses out of.

Thanks for any help!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH and I have made a couple of them. I find a style that I like and simply plan it out before I buy supplies. What are you looking for - plans, construction tips or materials?

The simplest that we've made is a tall scratch post. Use a 1" thick, 20" square piece of plywood as the base (covered in carpet), and bolt on a 3 foot (straight) tree branch that is about 5" in diameter. Top that with a carpeted perch and wrap the branch with sisul. Took us about an hour to whip that one up.

Go to a carpet store and buy remnants. For the branch, I just trimmed a tree in my yard.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you mind sharing how you attached the sisal? My husband is interested in making Abby a tall scratching post.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Do you mind sharing how you attached the sisal? My husband is interested in making Abby a tall scratching post.
I wrap the cut end of the sisul in 1" masking tape (think of the end of a shoe string) then nail it into the post with a broad head nail. I wrap it without any glue and repeat the process at the other end. The tape prevents fraying and helps the nail hold it in place. My cats have never pulled out any of these.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought about this alot too... and have always decided that in the long run it'd be cheaper for me to just buy one.

Did you see the tree that TiffanyL got from ebay. With shipping she paid something like $55 for it and it's factory direct so it even came w/ a warranty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah just looking for plans and a material list. Atleast something that I can get a clearer idea of where to start with a basic design and then I can expand from there. I did remember CritterMom made one, I looked at that last night. But that just shows her process, good, but not as detailed as I was looking for.

I actually want to build it myself more for just building it myself than for saving money.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Yeah just looking for plans and a material list. Atleast something that I can get a clearer idea of where to start with a basic design and then I can expand from there. I did remember CritterMom made one, I looked at that last night. But that just shows her process, good, but not as detailed as I was looking for.

I actually want to build it myself more for just building it myself than for saving money.
Post a picture of a tree that you like and I'll bet we can all come up with the plan and material list! My DH and I have a knack for recreating things from pictures.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Post a picture of a tree that you like and I'll bet we can all come up with the plan and material list! My DH and I have a knack for recreating things from pictures.
Ok I'll do that

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a HUGE cat tree off of Ebay for under $100, it came with a hammock, lots of levels, a hole for hiding, and toys. I believe it was around $70-80 dollars, shipping and all.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I got a HUGE cat tree off of Ebay for under $100, it came with a hammock, lots of levels, a hole for hiding, and toys. I believe it was around $70-80 dollars, shipping and all.
That's my only fear is that I'll spend that much in materials and then I'll have a condemned structure when I'm done

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They really don't cost all that much to make and they will be sturdier than anything you can buy online. If you have the time and are willing to learn, then by all means make one!! I for one haven't built a real tree in a long time cause we have too much other stuff going on.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

If you will PM me with your Email address I would be happy to email you copies of some simple trees that are 4 ft to 6 ft in height. Your cost should be under $25 if you can find carpet remnants for free. DO not buy new carpet. try to get looped instead of pile.
Carpet stores will sometimes throw away perfectly good carpet remnants or previous installs that have no stains. it takes some time looking, but its worth it.
Sisile rope is great too. you can get that at home depot in 100" lengths. Get the unbleached natural kind.

it can easily be built in hour with the correct tools and material.
If you want something with cubbies and swings and other things,
You can modify this design with your imagination. but i would stay simple at first then progress when you feel confident.
If you have questions, feel free to ask.

you will really really enjoy seeing your babies play on something you made for them.

I build these for my shelter and sell them for 100% precedes to other rescue centers.

Ric