Aaaargh!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, today I told my boss I quit and he thinks I`m joking!
He employes 3 other people where I`m working at the moment and while we all have different roles, one of them works hard and the other 2 sit around watching tv all day.

It is making me really miserable because why should I work my little butt off every day while they sit there and do nothing?
So I told him I will finish what I`ve started and then thats it because I cant deal with it anymore. I know I`m going to regret this but he doesn`t take it seriously.
Do you think I`m over reacting? It`s been going on for months and is driving me crazy!

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think you're overreacting. That is soooo frustrating and unfair. Does the boss know the other 2 are goofing off? Always seems like the best workers are taken the most advantage of and given the most to do. Good luck.

When you don't show up for work, maybe the boss will realize you weren't kidding.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did your boss not try to discuss this with you? If you've been employed there for a while, he should at least talk to you about the reasons you are leaving. If he hasn't done that, or hasn't any interest in doing that, then you are definitely not overreacting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.

Yeah, he knows. I feel like such a grass but I told him and the other girl does it when he is there but he says nothing! I like them I just dont like what they do. I feel bad if I have 5 minutes over my break time!
The thing is that he is also my landlord and it`s all a bit complicated but before this job I hadnt worked for 3 years because of illness.
But yeah, he pays me peanuts because he knows I don`t have the confidence to work anywhere else.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two rules of being employed:

1. Never quit a job unless you are filthy rich or have another job lined up;

2. Never burn bridges, meaning never just up and leave your employer in a lurch. Stuff like that can follow you for years and could end up costing you a dream job in the future because no one wants to hire someone who has a history of walking out on their job.

My advice to you is to go and sit down with your boss and apologize for being so hot headed earlier. Then sit and seriously explain to him/her what the working situation is like. Tell him that you are feeling really stressed with having to do the work of 3 people everyday. Tell him that you want a raise to compensate you for the additional work duties that you are expected to take on in order to keep the place running.

If he doesn't take you seriously, then secretly start to look for another job. Once you have a job, give your notice and tell your boss why you are leaving.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Two rules of being employed:

1. Never quit a job unless you are filthy rich or have another job lined up;

2. Never burn bridges, meaning never just up and leave your employer in a lurch. Stuff like that can follow you for years and could end up costing you a dream job in the future because no one wants to hire someone who has a history of walking out on their job.

My advice to you is to go and sit down with your boss and apologize for being so hot headed earlier. Then sit and seriously explain to him/her what the working situation is like. Tell him that you are feeling really stressed with having to do the work of 3 people everyday. Tell him that you want a raise to compensate you for the additional work duties that you are expected to take on in order to keep the place running.

If he doesn't take you seriously, then secretly start to look for another job. Once you have a job, give your notice and tell your boss why you are leaving.

This is VERY good advice. But I feel your pain, having busted my hump at some jobs while the slackers got all the glory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know I should have something lined up before I go. Thats why I feel so torn. It`s either leave with nothing or stay and feel totally worthless.
It`s making me so depressed and I don`t want to go there again.
The boss didn`t come in today. I think I will have to have sit down chat with him tomorrow.
Thank you for your input.