Cat coughing

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As posted in another board:

My cat has been coughing rather funny in the past couple of nights. Last night, my mom thought she was choking. I heard her cough a couple of times the day before like that, but it only lasted a couple of seconds, so I thought it was a random cough. Didn't worry too much about it. But last night, it sounded like there was at least SOMETHING going on. At first, I thought maybe it might be hairballs. But then again my brother and I also caught her sneezing. What confuses me most is that she acts normal most of the day, except for the coughing that comes from nowhere.

About six weeks ago, she had a severe coughing spell that was diagnosed as bronchitis. She got x-rays and medicine. It did go away after a few days. But I don't know if maybe she has some sort of chronic condition (the vet also thought she might have allergies).

I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow, but what should I do in the meantime?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should I try to give her hairball remedy?

I also should mention that I had the unfortunate timing of switching to her wet food a few weeks before this recall went out. Even though I didn't see anything she ate on the recall (except for that pouch of Eukanuba she ate at the very beginning (actually served her only a small portion of it), I am still very worried for her.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Try a steamy bathroom for her
Darn! Just finished my bath a few minutes ago (and they're always hot). Should of taken advantage since she loves to hang around! Someday, I wonder if she will jump in and take a swim.

Won't be able to take her in till after 6. On ther other hand, she always sleeps in my bedroom with the door closed since she isn't allowed to roam, so if she coughs I should hear her.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DO YOU have access to a ER or after hours clinic??

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, but I am still paying on the loan I just took for her last illness and so I'm in a really tight spot. I have her on Banfield's wellness plan and if I take her there after work, I will only have to pay if she needs any medicine. This month was a REAL bad month moneywise. This cat gets sick at the worst times! Always after hours and/or when "mommy" is really broke! Thank goodness I at least have a little I can use for medicine.

Just wanted to add that I hope I'm not sounding cheap. The little money I do have left after bills mostly goes towards feeding her the best food I can get for her. I'm working on getting her to eat almost exclusively Innova EVO. She does compete in cat shows and I am trying to get her in better shape.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EVO canned I hope ... well okay at this time I am unsure of any canned ...

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the canned.
For some reason, when I tried introducing the Innova EVO dry the past couple of days, it gave her dark soft stools. Really stinky ones. So I am concentrating on her eating the canned. She seems to have more energy with the canned stuff.

Edit: She just started making this gagging sound as if she is going to vomit. I just hope if she does, it's not on my bed. No coughing since a few hours ago, though.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just came back from the vet. After listening to her chest and looking at her x-rays from the previous vet that checked her it seems that she may have asthma. He gave her a shot to see if it helps. Now she has to come back in two weeks to see if her coughing stops.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Harvey has asthma. It's unfortunate, and it's a chronic condition, but it can be controlled. We recently switched him to an inhaled medication rather than the steriod shots.

Here's a link to a web site that had a bunch of information on feline asthma that was very helpful to me: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

I hope your girl's feeling better soon!! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

My Harvey has asthma. It's unfortunate, and it's a chronic condition, but it can be controlled. We recently switched him to an inhaled medication rather than the steriod shots.

Here's a link to a web site that had a bunch of information on feline asthma that was very helpful to me: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

I hope your girl's feeling better soon!! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks! I've checked it out. It's a great site.
Now I wonder if her visit a few weeks ago was due to asthma, not bronchitis.