Kids Roaming free?!?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, no offence to those of you with kids....

I find it very annoying when clients with young children come into our office, and they just let the kids roam freely throughout the office disrupting anything or anyone that is working at their desks.

For instance, just now a woman came into our office and she was at the front desk talking to one of my coworkers. Her 2 small children, maybe 3 and 6came into my office which is in the back of our main office, and proceeded to ask me numerous pointless "kid" questions
Their mom completely oblivious of what they are doing or where they are going.

I do not have time for that, and I don't think its cute and sweet. Its annoying.

What do you all think of it?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That used to happen all the time @ my old job. It drove me nuts! They would come in for an estimate w/ like 2 younger children and they would always end up behind my desk with me!
I started to have balloons and little snacky things at my desk to give them, I'm a sucker for kids anyways

I figure if I could entertain the kid while their getting an estimate, they will leave quicker

When I have kids, I'm putting them on a leash

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a STRONG opinion on this: I think parents who do not control their children should be shot.

Well, ok, not shot maybe, just bull-whipped.

Out of control children who are out of control due to lack of parental supervision and/or poor parenting make me completely insane and hate all children in general.

I think appropriate disciplinary spanking needs to make a strong comeback, or society is in deep doo-doo.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i completely agree! My two year old would be one of those kids if I let him but for now he is confined to a stroller until he learns to stay next to me

My older kids 8 and 11 definately know better and don't wander while we're out. i have a look but don't touch policy with all of my kids when we go anywhere. i would feel awful if they broke anything or got into other peoples things

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mom shouldn't have let them come bug you.

I had to take Daughter everywhere when she was little, because I was a SAHM, and I didn't have anyone who could care for her when I had doctor appointments and such. BUT, I always had a little toy or coloring book to occupy her, and she knew she had to stay very near me.

I remember when we bought my car, I was sick when I went in to sign the insurance papers and pick it up and Husband was out of the country. Daughter wasn't interested in the toy I'd brought and was being particularly whiny, and a nice lady in the office started talking to her and occupying her and I was SO grateful; it was difficult enough to concentrate on what I was signing!

I agree with you, though, you shouldn't have to deal with them.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one of the things I love about my full time job. Never any kids in the building, ever.
That is the thing I hate the most about my part time job. Not only do we have to put up with the boss's little demon grandchildren, but people bring their brats with them and expect us to watch them while they get their hair and nails done. I have had them ask me to let them nap on my massage table, or even worse, want to change diapers on it. YUCK!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have a STRONG opinion on this: I think parents who do not control their children should be shot.

Well, ok, not shot maybe, just bull-whipped.

Out of control children who are out of control due to lack of parental supervision and/or poor parenting make me completely insane and hate all children in general.

I think appropriate disciplinary spanking needs to make a strong comeback, or society is in deep doo-doo.
EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS. Exactly.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't approve of it at all! If they are inconsiderate enough or just plain uncaring enough to let kids roam free around an office,what do they do the rest of the time? Do they lose their kids at the mall? At the grocery store? If they don't keep their kids close, they could end up being a statistic, and that would be tragic!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were not even allowed out in public if we weren't 100% on our best behavior.
We were brought up that children should be seen and not heard (unless directly addressed of course).

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree too...kids just aren't the same as they used to be...I guess cuz parents aren't the same as they used to be.

Hilda>^..^<

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever happen to those leashes for kids? I use to think that was the BEST thing invented for parents. I remember seeing them used in the malls 10 years ago.

I agree too...if they're running around not disturbing you, that's one thing. If they are disturbing you, deliver them back to their mother by their ears.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can usually tell a parent who is trying, and the kid is just having 'one of those days' and a parent who just doesn't care. The ones that let their kids run around places like restaurants really get me. Waiters are walking (sometimes at a fast pace) with heavy trays full of hot food. If the kid gets in the way and gets that dumped on them the parent would probably say it was the restaurants fault. Or parking lots. I've seen parents letting their little ones run ahead or after them. Not close enough at all. The person backing up will see the adult, but not the little one. Just makes me cringe. They seem to think that the whole world should be watching out for their children. And yeah, in a perfect world the driver of the car would see the little one, but this world ain't perfect. Mine ALWAYS held my hand in a parking lot. Period. That was one rule that was never compromised.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Whatever happen to those leashes for kids? I use to think that was the BEST thing invented for parents. I remember seeing them used in the malls 10 years ago.

I agree too...if they're running around not disturbing you, that's one thing. If they are disturbing you, deliver them back to their mother by their ears.
I had one of those and I used it on my two year old son when we went to the state fair. He didn't mind it one bit, in fact he kinda liked it. Our daughter didn't love it so much, but she still wore it places like that, where there was a huge chance of getting lost. I did hear a few nasty comments about how the kid was not a pet, but the fair, while a very fun place, was very crowded and dangerous for a little one to get lost in.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

I did hear a few nasty comments about how the kid was not a pet, but the fair, while a very fun place, was very crowded and dangerous for a little one to get lost in.
I'll have to admit that when I first saw those harnesses/leashes for kids, I was appalled! However, since then, I've seen many a parent who should have had a better handle on their child/ren or had them secured with a leash either for their safety, as you did at the fair, or because they just had no control over them.

Sad to say...

Hilda>^..^<

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And this wasn't a harness. It was a band that went over the wrist of the child linked to a similar band that went of the wrist of the parent. The harness was a little much for me. And we still held his hand and watched him. But with so much going on and so many people it would only take a few seconds for a child to wander off. *shudder*

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No you're not alone on it, I agree 100%. I also can't stand it when I'm in a restaurant and a kid is running up and down the isle or walking around and the parent takes forever getting to the kid. It's like they're sitting there "Oh he'll/she'll be back". Forget tripping a waiter/waitress and possibly getting hurt, all it takes is one second for some pervert to snatch up the kid and run out the door with them.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I asked for one of those leashes and was told by the snooty guy at the store "we have a strict anti-leash policy". Obviously he has never had a 2 year old take off on him and had to run after the kid through a store.
I wanted one cause she always took off on me and man she was fast!

I think parents need to have control over their children and mine knows she better behave. When she was about 2, we went to the mall and she was really unhappy about the fact that I had said no to buying her a toy and she started pitching a fit. I mean a hurl-yourself-on-the-ground screaming and kicking fit. I told her she better knock it off or we're leaving.
So what did she do? She screamed louder....so i took her, held her under my arm and we left and she screamed the entire way out to the car.
And yes, she got spanked too.

I totally belive in spankings..if they work for your child.

There was a time where that stopped working and time outs worked better so that's what we did.

Now it's loss of priviledges. That works wonders.

I think the key is going through with your threat. If you say you're going to do something..then do it.
I always tell my daughter "it was your choice, you knew the consequences, you're the one who decided. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at yourself for making a bad decision".

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Mark was little, I tied a sash to his back belt loop and the other end to MY belt loop. When walking through parking lots, I ALWAYS held his hand.

Too many times, I have been almost knocked down by small children careening into me. In a restaurant, if the hostess tries to seat me near a table with small children, I will ask for a different one.

I have NO patience and badly-behaved children annoy me - I want to smack their mothers.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

I always tell my daughter "it was your choice, you knew the consequences, you're the one who decided. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at yourself for making a bad decision".
That is genius.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

minus the "hate all children in general"... but I can't stand the ones that act that way...

Originally Posted by Rosey

I asked for one of those leashes and was told by the snooty guy at the store "we have a strict anti-leash policy". Obviously he has never had a 2 year old take off on him and had to run after the kid through a store.
I wanted one cause she always took off on me and man she was fast!

I think parents need to have control over their children and mine knows she better behave. When she was about 2, we went to the mall and she was really unhappy about the fact that I had said no to buying her a toy and she started pitching a fit. I mean a hurl-yourself-on-the-ground screaming and kicking fit. I told her she better knock it off or we're leaving.
So what did she do? She screamed louder....so i took her, held her under my arm and we left and she screamed the entire way out to the car.
And yes, she got spanked too.

I totally belive in spankings..if they work for your child.

There was a time where that stopped working and time outs worked better so that's what we did.

Now it's loss of priviledges. That works wonders.

I think the key is going through with your threat. If you say you're going to do something..then do it.
I agree with everything here...we never had to spank Jasmine, but we have hollered/lectured & punished her....plus she hasn't done anything bad enough to warrant a spanking imo. And while I am not an owner of the child leash, I would not knock it....whatever works for you. My SIL has a tough enough time with a 6 week old infant in a carrier, if her 2yo took off, what would she do, drop or run with the baby?