terrible morning

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got some bad news from the dentist.. I don't even want to go into what it is.. but on top of that I feel like she didn't listen to me, I have a medical condition that will affect my treatment and it's like she doesn't even hear me, I asked if she had a plan in place if my heart started beating too fast ( I have heart problems ), and her reply, no lie, was "well we'd just stop and wait for it to slow down." Yeah, THATS reassuring. That doesn't work with me, if my heart starts beating too fast I'm already in trouble - I"ve had to go to the ER for it before.

Add to that a dental assistant with the bedside manner of Nurse Ratchet, and some idiot cutting me off in the pouring rain on the way home (I was lucky not to hit him), when I got home, Wonton trilled hello to me and I just burst into tears. I picked him up and just cried into his fur... he's such a good boy, he just made himself comfy in my arms, rested his head on my shoulder, and started purring. I really do believe he knows how I feel. He's on my lap right now.

Could I get some encouraging words, or something.. anything? It's been a really bad morning.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps you should have any dental treatments done at a hospital for both your benefit and the dentist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys... I just got off the phone with my boyfriend, and I feel a bit better now. He had the presence of mind to call me after my appt to make sure I was ok
He can drive me up the wall on occasion, but he's there for me, too.

Originally Posted by lookingglass

Can you find a better dentist?

I'm sorry you are having a bad day honey.
thank you <3 I may switch dentists - I think I'm going to look into it.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Perhaps you should have any dental treatments done at a hospital for both your benefit and the dentist.
I'd do that in a heartbeat if I had the money, or my insurance covered it.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

All I've got is one great big
!!!
thank you <3

Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Another real big hug for you!!!
thanks <3

Meh, what a morning. It's stopped raining though, and the sun has come out.. I'm going to take that as a hopeful sign that the rest of my day will be better

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with finding another dentist and getting a second opinion. I've had a few root canals. One dentist gave me something intravenously during it and told me that I could get a very rapid heartbeat. The dentist I have seen since has not done that.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I agree with finding another dentist and getting a second opinion. I've had a few root canals. One dentist gave me something intravenously during it and told me that I could get a very rapid heartbeat. The dentist I have seen since has not done that.
can I ask you about the root canals? how much did it hurt afterwards.. and the teeth that had root canals - what do they feel like now.. I mean do they "feel" just like normal teeth, or do they feel different somehow? I'll need two or three root canals, he said.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Can you find a better dentist?

I'm sorry you are having a bad day honey.
Thats what I was thinking..I would seek out another dentist. I'm sorry you had a rough day hun

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't stick with this dentist! You have a special situation that requires special precautions, and if she doesn't understand that, she's not equipped to provide the care you need.

What you might do is talk to your doctor about it. Tell him what the dentist said and ask if he can recommend someone else who has experience in treating patients with cardiac issues and other complicating conditions.

Gosh, I'm sorry you had such an awful day! But I know just what you mean about those bright, beautiful eyes and furry little faces that greet you when you get home. We're all so lucky for having discovered the joy that kitties bring to our lives.

Take care of yourself, okay?

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me too like you need to find another dentist for yourself.

I'm sorry you had such an awful morning sweets, but I'm so glad Wonton was there for you...they just always seem to know, don't they?

Here's a great big ol' Hilda-hug for you hun...
Hilda>^..^<

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

can I ask you about the root canals? how much did it hurt afterwards.. and the teeth that had root canals - what do they feel like now.. I mean do they "feel" just like normal teeth, or do they feel different somehow? I'll need two or three root canals, he said.
The one root canal I had didn't hurt afterwards at all (if the nerves are gone, there shouldn't be pain), but I had to have a crown put on because the filling that was in the tooth prior was really big, and the tooth would be too weak on its own. So, the crown feels normal, lol.

The only thing that was bad was the fact that they had to drill through a metal filling, and it hurt. Once they got the tooth open to the root, they injected novocaine right into the tooth, and the pain was instantly gone.

Btw, a lot of dentists now are using a novocaine mixture that contains epinephrine, and I imagine that intravenous anesthetics could have epi as well. Is that what the dentist could be referring to?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

I've had one done. It did hurt, like any dental work does, but I don't remember it being particularly traumatic. Just long.
The tooth feels normal to me, even though it is in fact now dead.
The problem I have with it is that the filling on top is so large that every couple of years it breaks and I have to get replaced. What I need is a crown, but I can't afford that. Also, my last x-rays showed the beginnings of an abcess underneath the tooth.
Obviously everyone is different, but I'd suggest asking about the possibility of getting crowns to cover these teeth if the work done is extensive you may need them.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

The one root canal I had didn't hurt afterwards at all (if the nerves are gone, there shouldn't be pain), but I had to have a crown put on because the filling that was in the tooth prior was really big, and the tooth would be too weak on its own. So, the crown feels normal, lol.

The only thing that was bad was the fact that they had to drill through a metal filling, and it hurt. Once they got the tooth open to the root, they injected novocaine right into the tooth, and the pain was instantly gone.

Btw, a lot of dentists now are using a novocaine mixture that contains epinephrine, and I imagine that intravenous anesthetics could have epi as well. Is that what the dentist could be referring to?
yeah - I can't have the epinephrine - it would make my heart beat like crazy and possibly give me a heart attack. I am very, very, very sensitive to any stimulants. I can't even have a can of soda that has caffiene in it. I have put off dental work because of this, and am now finally starting to get it done. I'm just really afraid that they won't listen to me or take me seriously, and will use the wrong drug on me. My dentist said that they have a drug they can use to numb me which will not affect the heart, but it's still just scary for me. I can't help wondering - how does she KNOW it wont? What if it does?

I go to an oral surgeon to have extractions - he took out my wisdom teeth and one other tooth - and he used a numbing agent on me, and I was fine. I got th ename of that drug from him, but my regular dentist doesn't carry it. I'd feel a lot safer if they could use the drug I've already been given and know won't affect my heart. I'm not being paranoid here, I never know what's going to affect it - to the point where I do not take any drugs that I've never taken before - I mean OTC meds ect, because I never know how it will affect me. I"ve had to call an ambulance and be taken to the ER because my heartbeat was dangerously fast. It's just... scary. And my worst fear is that she'll inject the numbing agent, my heart will start beating too fast, I'll tell her, and she'll say "ok, just relax and it'll go away in a moment"... and it wont. Once my heart starts beating too fast, I have to take my medication - I take a pill for it twice a day, and extra if it acts up). All that goes through my mind is what if, what if, what if. I'd rather not die at the dentist, you know?

I think I'm going to look around and find a different dentist, one who will actually listen to me. Maybe I can find one who uses that specific drug that I know I don't react to.

pushylady - I already know I need crowns on the teeth that need root canals.. it's just a matter of having the procedure done.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I must say I'm really surprised at your dentist's attitude. She sounds rather unprofessional. And considering you live in the land of lawsuits, you'd think she'd be way more concerned about your possible adverse reaction to painkillers.
Good luck finding a new dentist. It's really important that you feel confident under their care; it's unpleasant enough at the dentist's without that contributing to your stress.