The Census Bureau - Invading Your Life for over 70 Years

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*rolls eyes*

I got this employment census thing in the mail last week and naturally I threw it out. Well the doorbell just rang about a half hour ago (which sent Reeses flying off the kitchen table, down the hall almost knocking me over, and into our closet where she could hide) and standing at my door was a woman with a laptop. She said that I should've received the census (which I told her no *lol*) and that because it wasn't filled out, I was randomly selected to have her take it in person...joy. So she's standing there with the door open, letting all my heat out and says "Ok so lets start, it'll only take 5 minutes". Well I didn't want to be rude, but I didn't want to let my heat out either, so I let her in and had to sit there for about 5 minutes while I took this thing.

Apparently now they'll be calling me the week of the 19th every month for the next 4 months.

Joy.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why? I thought the Census thing was only 10 years.

Are you being investigated for fraud???
J/K

That's really odd though. Maybe they're worried about your siggy with Nip abuse and they think you're a drug dealer...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No the complete census is a 10 yr thing ... My mom used to do that ladies job ... but she only had to check back two times 3 months apart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Why? I thought the Census thing was only 10 years.

Are you being investigated for fraud???
J/K

That's really odd though. Maybe they're worried about your siggy with Nip abuse and they think you're a drug dealer...
*slaps forehead*

That's why Reeses ran so fast when the door bell rang. She thought it was the Feds and she had to go hide her stash.

It would explain why she's been passed out on our kitchen table in the sun most of the afternoon...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

*slaps forehead*

That's why Reeses ran so fast when the door bell rang. She thought it was the Feds and she had to go hide her stash.

It would explain why she's been passed out on our kitchen table in the sun most of the afternoon...

Oh, Reeses, you naughty girl...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah you know the FEDS would try to take her stash ... they are trying to prosecute a dying woman for her pot stash;;;;;;

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*slaps forehead*

too funny!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yeah you know the FEDS would try to take her stash ... they are trying to prosecute a dying woman for her pot stash;;;;;;
Well then for sure they'd prosecute a kitty with the munchies.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well then for sure they'd prosecute a kitty with the munchies.
Time to go to a Catnip Anonymous meeting...

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone who had depended on census records for her research - I like the census!

The last census released for general perusal was the 1930. They release them every 70 years, so most are dead by the time it is public.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's great! I've been meaning to say how much I love your sig... and now your poor kitty thinks there are G-men kicking in your door! We're all howling here...

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Ew, how annoying. Can't you just say no??
Isn't the answer to that obvious?

I was watching Montel about "Women Who Snap" and I thought "Oh god, that little old lady could've held me at gun point!"

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here in Canada you can be given a fine for not compleeting a cencus. I was between apartments when the cencus was sent out and never got one. I was contacted by the government on a daily basis for about a week until I filed it electronically via the government website.
Another way that the government keeps tabs on us all.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - so you filled it out now. Why do they have to check back every month? To make sure you're not an illegal alien?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. It's actually a federal offense punishment by a huge fine and/or jail if you don't fill out your census form.

I think our census was done last year or the year before. We have 2 that are sent out at random. One is a really long one that takes a couple hours to fill out and asks questions such as your sexual orientation, colour of skin, languages that you speak etc. The other one is a short one which takes about 5 minutes to fill out that is basically just general information like income level, how many children are in the household etc.

The one I got was the long one. I always seem to get the long one. I kept putting it off and putting it off and the deadline came and went. About a month later I got a visit from the census people asking if I had received my census form. I played dumb and said "what census form?" She gave me a short one and had me sign to say that I received it and told me that I had to have it filled out and submitted within 48 hours.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - we got the long form here too - I filled it out and sent it back. They have his info now though, so I don't understand why the repeat follow-up visits. I've never heard of them doing that in Canada!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

OK - so you filled it out now. Why do they have to check back every month? To make sure you're not an illegal alien?

It was an employment census, so they want to see if I'm still employed. Of course I had to explain to death that I DO have a job, I'm just on disability for a few more weeks. By the 5th time, she understood

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It was an employment census, so they want to see if I'm still employed. Of course I had to explain to death that I DO have a job, I'm just on disability for a few more weeks. By the 5th time, she understood
Oooohhhhh - now I understand!
Yeah - I think they do that here too if you're getting benefits!