Anyone had to repo a cat before?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so
right now. Even with all the checking in the world you do...seems like you always get burned..

Anyways to make the story short as possible, toms new parents picked him up on thursday paid in full with a check. I deposited it on Friday, it said it cleared but that was the intial clear..

Yesterday night while checking my online banking tomake sure all was in order..i see the check is being returned! Called the bank, yup..it bounced.

So as soon as i noticed this, i politely called and informed the woman of this, she was very appologetic, explained what likely happened, ect ect ect that they would get me cash today,and would call me at 11am to verify ect.

11am came and went..no phone call

Noon I call them, the husband picks up (who i have never delt with up to this point) said something happene to his wife last night, she cant talk...but he is just leaving anoka now. and has the cash, hes working at larpenture and macfee (just up the road mind you) that he will stop by the house right away and drop the cash off..

Ok..fine i say. I have a meeting i wont be heremy husband will you have the house phone number, call if you need to.

So i go to my meeting..

I get back about 5 mins ago..

Surprise..Surprise..No money

And my hubby said he tried to call and shock shock..they arent picking up the cell phone.

So at this point, I am livid. upset, and my bank account is a mess too. (yeah i got charged for their bounced check ontop of other stuff)

SO..anyone else had to get a cat back before? I am about to call my local PD and see what steps I am oging to have to take. just thought i would see if anyone has any experience.

I have my fully signed contract, and I stopped by the bank on the way home and got a copy of the NSF check. any other ducks i need to cover? She has his papers, do i need to call CFA?

ugh.No more personal checks

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you got cheated! I hope you can get this all straightened out. Poor Tom, stuck in the middle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah. I know. I mean the explanation she gave me was legit i know how the bank works (we bank at the same bank) so i was cool and stuff about it. I mean I know stuff happens.

But when you start acting fishy..i am gonna treat you fishy.

Finally got them to pick up the cell phone. final chance to meet a time, he said he was about..45 mins away getting stuff loaded for work..

He did give us the cross streets, and i know where it is. its about 30 mins away lol..but..traffic...

I amgiving them an hour. last chance. than thats it.

ARGH.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stick to your guns! Last chance is a last chance. Have you spoke with the police? What did they say?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they dont come tonight with the money IH ave to file a offical PD report. He said since ih ave a contract and the NSF check i might not have to do anymore than file the report get a fast judgement and go in and get my cat.

Yup..this is the last chance. period.no sense in letting it drag on..this is just so upsetting..

poor tom in the middle

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have their address (on the check) you can pay a visit and find out what is going on. Either they give the money to you or give the cat back and make them sign a paper of NO refund and they turned over the cat to you.

Next time, get a post office money order or cash. I gave Charlie's breeder a deposit check and the rest in cash when we picked him up.

Thank goodness those that got my kittens all paid as promised with no problems.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah this is the first problem I have had. I am starting a new policy as of today reguarding personal checks. I aint taking them. this is the first problem I have had with one. But its only gonna take one problem for me to learn.

Luckily i was able to cover our bank mess with my ER vet fund cash which I hated touching but what can ya do. i got a nice cush still built up in there though. Just makes me so mad

I have two more meetings I cant cancel tonight, than I will be going up there to get money or cat, and I will be with their Local PD so they cant call it harrassment. I called their Local guys already and they said they would have a squad go with me no problem.

Ugh..well..live and learn.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Yeah this is the first problem I have had. I am starting a new policy as of today reguarding personal checks. I aint taking them. this is the first problem I have had with one. But its only gonna take one problem for me to learn.

Luckily i was able to cover our bank mess with my ER vet fund cash which I hated touching but what can ya do. i got a nice cush still built up in there though. Just makes me so mad

I have two more meetings I cant cancel tonight, than I will be going up there to get money or cat, and I will be with their Local PD so they cant call it harrassment. I called their Local guys already and they said they would have a squad go with me no problem.

Ugh..well..live and learn.
Gotta love small town PD s ....I hope that the kitty is okay ...

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup..well guess my call to the local guys helped. Just had the money put in my hand a short while ago......

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

yup..well guess my call to the local guys helped. Just had the money put in my hand a short while ago......
Did you charge them a service check fee! They need to pay that fee too!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It makes you wonder if they are that way, how they will treat the cat... If it took that much trouble to get the money that was rightfully yours, are they going to be good parents to Tom? I hate people who are dishonest.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to read that you got the money. When I didn't catch ya in IM I was worried you were on your way to get Tom! But now you need to make sure the fees get paid and such.

Hugs!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you got the $$ I hope they are better caregivers than payees

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Did you charge them a service check fee! They need to pay that fee too!
Oh yeah i charged the fee. He had no problem..paying either.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah i dont like it either. I did get a little more of the story from the husband which i wont share here cause its his buisness. but i was able to verify it with the local public pd records too..So..

Long story short. I know Tom will be taken care of. With all this drama I was very worried about that too. I feel a bt better about the siutation having the story..

Just wish he hadnt been so dang FLAKEY...that ticked me off.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad it worked out okay! (Huge sigh of relief!)

That is a big reason why I have no interest in breeding my Sphynx - finding the best & perfect homes for the kittens is a lot of work I am sure! You could always accept checks in advance, and wait until they clear (or in this case -don't) before the new owners get to take the kitten.

Oh, and also the fact I would get attached to the cute kittens for one reason or another and want to keep them all, or at least one or two..

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad this worked out for you too.

In my contract I have balance due and forms of payment accepted but people forget. When it's time for the family to pick up their kitten I send an email reminder. Remember your carrier, set up a Vet appointment and I remind them of the balance due and payment forms accepted and the date and time we expect them. Families are so excited about adding a new member to their family that they sometimes forget some of the details.

They have all been very understanding that I don't accept personal checks at pick up.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup...well i am no longer acceptingthem either. I have gotten some pictures of tom and he looks good.but this whole things been a mess. Ugh. So yup..more personal checks at pick up

dulce2u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The breeder that I used let me know, ahead of time, that she does not accept checks. She shared with me that she was given a check that bounced in the past and since then refuses to accept checks. I understood and happily paid cash for my new baby.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well that seems to be what happened here too,LOL like i told my husband. Bite me once shame on you. Bite me twice,shame on me.