Spring?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today is supposedly the first day of spring. Right! It's 9 below with a windchill of -18.

That being said, yesterday my hubby saw 2 robins in the cherry tree by our deck and this morning on the way to work I saw my very first red-winged blackbird of the season. I'm so very partial to red-winged blackbirds and cannot explain why. Each time I see one I get this euphoric feeling that I just cannot understand or explain.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crap it's cold by you!!!! We're a tad bit warmer in our part of the world and the daffodil's are already in bloom. This winter has been warm enough that the Robins never left. Red winged blackbirds are very common here. They tend to take control of our bird feeders.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Today is supposedly the first day of spring. Right! It's 9 below with a windchill of -18.
It's way too cold for it to be spring. It's currently -6 here and it's the middle of March. My theory is that Canada is too close to the North Pole. The North Pole has 6 months of darkness and 6 months of light because of the earth's tilt. Canada seems to have 6 months of winter and 6 months of summer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Crap it's cold by you!!!! We're a tad bit warmer in our part of the world and the daffodil's are already in bloom. This winter has been warm enough that the Robins never left. Red winged blackbirds are very common here. They tend to take control of our bird feeders.
Our RWB's tend to stay around the marshy areas. If I thought putting out bird feeders would bring some around, I'd have many feeders in my yard.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My calendar gives the 21st as the Equinox, so according to this, Spring starts tomorrow, not today.

However, the weathermen all said that it starts today, so I'm a little confused.

We still have snow all over the ground, so I guess it really doesn't matter anyway.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well according to the weather network, its supposed to warm up tomorrow and stay warm until April 1, when it is supposed to snow again.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought tomorrow was the first day of Spring too. *scratches head*

Either way, it's a dreary day outside, kinda rainy/drizzly... but looking out my classroom window, the leaves on the trees are turnng green so it looks like Spring is here/coming!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first day of spring is not always on the 21st. It officially happens (apparently) tonight at around 8:05 pm. Let's hope it warms up by then.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm so very partial to red-winged blackbirds and cannot explain why. Each time I see one I get this euphoric feeling that I just cannot understand or explain.
Me too!!!
Except I know why... When I was in 6th grade, we went to "outdoor school", where we stayed at a BEAUTIFUL nature center, camping in cabins, studying nature, the works, for a week. While there, we were constantly being visited by red winged blackbirds, and they always bring back fond memories...

As for us here in the SF Bay Area (CA), we had gorgeous spring weather!!
...until today. I woke up this morning to cloudy, rainy, ickiness!
So much for spring! Ah well, you know what they say about March- "In like a lion, out like a lamb." Guess we're actually a bit late with the "lion"ing this month! Hurry with the lamb!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The first day of spring is not always on the 21st. It officially happens (apparently) tonight at around 8:05 pm. Let's hope it warms up by then.
You know, as soon as I read your reply I realized it probably has to do with the rotation, etc. Far too complicated for me!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My calendar gives the 21st as the Equinox, so according to this, Spring starts tomorrow, not today.

However, the weathermen all said that it starts today, so I'm a little confused.

We still have snow all over the ground, so I guess it really doesn't matter anyway.
We still have snow here too. I'm thinking that for me spring won't start for at least another 3 weeks.

Originally Posted by catlover19

Well according to the weather network, its supposed to warm up tomorrow and stay warm until April 1, when it is supposed to snow again.
Ya but we can't really trust the weather network. At least in Saskatchewan we can't. They might be more accurate in Ontario considering that they are stationed in Toronto but here their 14 day forecast changes at least 3 times every hour and they have a tendency to get everything wrong a number of times on a daily basis.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOH!! Thats too cold for me!! Thankfully its been Spring here for a week or two.
Today though its rainy and a bit cooler~

Sending many rays of warmth and sunshine to you all!!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until I can see my lawn again, temps start cracking 60 degrees, and you can just smell it in the air, it's not spring. I don't care what the calender says

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

We still have snow here too. I'm thinking that for me spring won't start for at least another 3 weeks.

Ya but we can't really trust the weather network. At least in Saskatchewan we can't. They might be more accurate in Ontario considering that they are stationed in Toronto but here their 14 day forecast changes at least 3 times every hour and they have a tendency to get everything wrong a number of times on a daily basis.
What do you expect when you live in Saskatchewan!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"The date (near March 21 in the northern hemisphere) when night and day are nearly the same length and Sun crosses the celestial equator (i.e., declination 0) moving northward. In the southern hemisphere, the vernal equinox corresponds to the center of the Sun crossing the celestial equator moving southward and occurs on the date of the northern autumnal equinox. The vernal equinox marks the first day of the season of spring. The right ascension at the vernal equinox originally was in the constellation Aries and the point of crossing was known as the first point in Aries (now actually in Pisces because of precession Eric Weisstein's World of Physics).

The date of the vernal equinox shifts through the Gregorian calendar according to the insertion of leap years.

Hows that for a scientific explanation!!

Anyhow we still have a little bit of snow on the ground and thunderstorms predicted for the next two days-I hope the upper couple of inches of the soil are not frozen to this rain can be absorbed!! It was a dry fall and ave snow for winter so any moisture would be good.
Its gonna be a while until any flowers pop up around here!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The temperatures really dipped this afternoon around here and the wind picked up. My crocuses are trying to pop up, but they keep getting frozen!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You probably don't want to hear about all the cherry trees, magnolias, our own forsythia, quince tree, daffodils, rhubarb and 10-degree (celsius) sunny day. It got up to 15 on the weekend. I've been going to get out and take some pictures, but available time, available camera and sun have not coincided yet. Soon.