need suggestions for feeding time, a real pain.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike is a good eater, chows down on his wet, (1/3 can twice a day) and then continues with the handful of dry I put in the dish. I feed the other two the same stuff, and they will take a few bites and leave. Then Spike of couirse goes to theirs to finish it, at which time I pick it up. Then a little later fang or pansy come into the kitchen, I put it down take a few bites, leave, and there's spike again. I go through this over and over, it is driving me crazy. Spike will even barge in on Pansy and start eating his fooe, I am sure just out of a dominance thing, he can't possible be hungry. Spike is going to turn into a big fat pig if he keeps this up, and I want the other two to eat a decent portion of wet daily.
Suggestions? Do you have this problem? I don't want to separate them at feeding time, that won't work.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did have this problem ...it's almost completely solved now. I eliminated the dry food, not because of this but - as a consequence my "passive" eaters are a bit more bold (because they're hungry!) so it's calmed down the aggressive ones. That's probably not the answer you're looking for...but I can relate.

One thing that helped a little was lining them up facing the kitchen cupboard to eat. That cut down the plate swapping behavior a little.

Does Spike eat more than his share of the dry?

I guess my first instinct would be to cut back on the dry and increase his wet, if that seems to be his preference. Maybe he would fill up and leave the other 2 alone?

I know it's frustrating. And I tried separating mine for meals and it was a disaster...so I can relate to that too.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I did have this problem ...it's almost completely solved now. I eliminated the dry food, not because of this but - as a consequence my "passive" eaters are a bit more bold (because they're hungry!) so it's calmed down the aggressive ones. That's probably not the answer you're looking for...but I can relate.

One thing that helped a little was lining them up facing the kitchen cupboard to eat. That cut down the plate swapping behavior a little.

Does Spike eat more than his share of the dry?

I guess my first instinct would be to cut back on the dry and increase his wet, if that seems to be his preference. Maybe he would fill up and leave the other 2 alone?

I know it's frustrating. And I tried separating mine for meals and it was a disaster...so I can relate to that too.
So how often do you feed them now?

I would try this, but I'm not home during the day and they usually get their wet food at night between 8-10 p.m., depending on the night. I free feed dry during the day, but Ferris is a little piggy, and at 11 pounds and 10 months old, I'm worried about him getting too fat once he stops growing.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

So how often do you feed them now?

I would try this, but I'm not home during the day and they usually get their wet food at night between 8-10 p.m., depending on the night. I free feed dry during the day, but Ferris is a little piggy, and at 11 pounds and 10 months old, I'm worried about him getting too fat once he stops growing.
I have a girl that age and weight
...could be OK, but not on her frame.

I feed them a "big" meal at about 7am and 9:30pm. I think they would survive with just that, but for now to help the transition I've been giving them a small snack at about 2pm. They were accustomed to free feeding 24/7 before this. I worked up to it by increasing the wet more and more, to get them used to eating it...until I finally pulled up the free feed bowls. They were devastated at first, but it's getting better and better as the days go by.

They tested every ounce of my patience at first, and we did "fall off the wagon" once, but now it's working out better. I think the times I chose to feed them have helped, it took some experimentation (on my first attempt I think I was feeding them too often, and too much in the middle of the day).

Part of my reasoning behind the feeding times was so that it would leave the whole day free for when I need to be gone for some reason...I figure if they miss the "snack" it won't be such a big deal.

Maybe you could achieve the same thing (small snack mid day) by using one of those timed feeders?

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is the reason behind not wanting to seperate them? i had a medical overeater(towards end he had a few things wrong and was always hungry) and i always kept him in a crate to eat when the others were getting a special treat other wise he would upset the balance by pusching the rest away from thier bowls. he had plenty on his own plate tho
. it is possible they are cats who prefer dry and limited interest in the wet. my cat teddy was known to go up to bowl and take one lick...how big is can your splitting?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put my little piglet eaters in a separate room when they get their wet food at night. After about 15 minutes, they are let loose and by then the others have finished what they want. If there is too much food leftover, the dogs get to lick the bowls and that is how I control the amount the piggies get. It's just easier that way.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Maybe you could achieve the same thing (small snack mid day) by using one of those timed feeders?
Can't do it - they are made of plastic and both my babies have white chins; Ginger has already had one bout with kitty acne, so I would not want to use a plastic feeder.

What I have been doing is putting out a measured amount of dry per day and that is it - if they eat it all before 24 hours, they don't get any more until "refilling" time. This seems to be working ok so far, but Ferris still tries to finish off Ginger's wet food, as she never eats it all in one sitting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how big is can your splitting?
They split a 5.5 can twice a day. They will all eat their portion, it's just that Fang and Pansy take their good old time, and while they are lollygagging, Spike is scarfing it down.
I was wondering if it had anything to do with him being alfa, the king of the pride, and gets to eat first.
It is already a pain, and separating them will be even more inconvenient.
I want them all to eat the wet food for urinary tract health. I think pansy and Fang might be content with all dry, but I don't consider that healthy,.Especially for Fang, who has had crystals in the past and presently takes a acidifier.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alpha's do tend to gobble pretty fast, and then have a need to keep other's away from their food. While I keep my piglet eaters in a separate room (they are bottle feds with poor manners), I keep my alpha male and female separated from the rest of the gang also.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate to the problem. Eric gobbles up his wet food then eats from the others bowls when they finish their first round. He doesn't shove them out of the way to eat their food. The others always come back for seconds and thirds and are getting enough food. I don't pick up the food but I do try to move Eric away and discourage him from dish swapping.
It's not entirely successful as he is gaining weight. He's not overweight yet but I don't want him to gain more.

I do line my cats up against the wall to eat as beandip mentioned doing. It does cut down on the initial bowl swapping. Each one knows his/her own dish and goes to it at meal time. When they return for second or thirds they go to any bowl that looks right at the time.

That really isn't a solution for you. I just want you to know someone else understands the problem and empathizes.