TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Trader Joes brand wet food
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trader Joes brand wet food

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
For those who feed their cats and dogs Trader Joes wet foods. I got the email from my Captian. Corporate has looked into the situation and has said not to worry. Our supplier is NOT Menu Foods and has its own plant. They did not say who the manufature is but that the food is safe to feed our pets. So there is no reason to stop feeding it to them.

Karma is getting her wet food again, poor baby, no more human tuna.
post #2 of 11
thanks for the info, the label says corn gluten, not wheat
post #3 of 11
Thank for the info....
this recall is a nightmare.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Update on the Trader Joes food. THis came in this afternoon while I was at wokr. My captain pulled me aside and told me. She gave me the official statement and said I could put it up for all of you. It turns out that some of the ingrediants in the food does come from Menu Foods. Even though the food syle is patte and not cut or sliced meat they have pulled it for safty precations and will be independently testing the food. Here is the official statement.

"According to the FDA, Trader Joe's Pet Food products are NOT the same foods that are currently being recalled by Menu Foods. However, since safty is of the utmost importance to us, as extra precaution we have voluntairily pulled all canned pet food items manufactured by Menu Foods from our shelves until we can test the products and be 100 percent sure they are safe for your pets. The products are
Cat Food - Turkey/Giblets, Salmon and Rice, Chicken, Turkey and Rice.
Dog Food - Chunkey Chicken, Lamb and Rice
If for any reason you would like to return Trader Joe's canned pet food products, please bring it back to any of our stores for a full refund or exchange."

My Captain appoliged for the notice yesterday. I have already returned all my canned food and will continue to feed Karma human tuna. She does not mind, she loves it.

So disregard the above statement. Feel free to ask me anything about Trader Joes food. I will keep you up to date and inform you when it comes back.
post #5 of 11
Is there a date range on the foods they are pulling? I fed Trader Joe's cat foods until Odo's tummy couldn't handle the fish and he started throwing up on it. I kept a couple of the cans to feed to Willow, but I'll stop doing that if they are in the same date range as the ones being pulled.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_shade View Post
Is there a date range on the foods they are pulling? I fed Trader Joe's cat foods until Odo's tummy couldn't handle the fish and he started throwing up on it. I kept a couple of the cans to feed to Willow, but I'll stop doing that if they are in the same date range as the ones being pulled.
No date specifics are being pulled. They are pulling everything. They would much rather be safe than sorry. If I were you I would stop feeding it to Willow and return the cans. The store is having no problem taking them back. In this case its better to be safe.
post #7 of 11
I just purchased cat food at trader joes yesterday. when did they or are they going to pull it. my reference above to corn gluten in the turkey and giblets is wrong, I must have been looking at the science diiet, there is no gluten in the trader joes, I have a bunch of cans , i will just hang on to them. OF course all I have is science diet which is also from menu foods. Don't know what to do. Maybe we will go totally dry for a while.
post #8 of 11
Yeah, I was at Trader Joe's yesterday, and all the canned cat food was still on the shelves. I expect that it will be removed today. I did buy a can of the tuna food, but as stated above it's not on the list (it's made it Thailand).
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuckleberry View Post
Yeah, I was at Trader Joe's yesterday, and all the canned cat food was still on the shelves. I expect that it will be removed today. I did buy a can of the tuna food, but as stated above it's not on the list (it's made it Thailand).
When you go back in if the food is still there tell them that you are friends with an employee at the Hillcrest store in San Diego and they have pulled all the food. The only food left was the tuna for cats and the kibble. I am sure they have pulled it by now. We did not get the email untill 3pm or so California time, so by the time your store got it they would have been near closing.

Monkey(Karma's nickname, not a new cat) won't eat the tuna for cats. I don't know why, she loves human tuna.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmasMom View Post
When you go back in if the food is still there tell them that you are friends with an employee at the Hillcrest store in San Diego and they have pulled all the food. The only food left was the tuna for cats and the kibble. I am sure they have pulled it by now. We did not get the email untill 3pm or so California time, so by the time your store got it they would have been near closing.

Monkey(Karma's nickname, not a new cat) won't eat the tuna for cats. I don't know why, she loves human tuna.
I was there yesterday around 6:00 pm, eastern time obviously, so they probably got the notice shortly after that. (But yes if I stop by and still see it I'll say something).
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
At our store they usually check the emails once in the morning and once at night. Right now they have been checking in the afternoon, mainly for me because they know I will flip my lid if Monkey got sick. Just go up to the Captains desk and voice your concern if the food is still there. Its part of the vibe at Trader Joe's, we ALWAYS listen to the customer. There is a chance they just had not got around to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Trader Joes brand wet food