POSITIVE VIBES needed ASAP for me and my furbabies

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Due to this horrible recall, I am a NERVOUS WRECK. I couldn't focus at work (which is very bad since this is peak time and I am already behind) cuz I was worrying all day about my cats, I kept getting online to see any updates regarding the recall, etc. I left early to go home to make sure my cats were okay.

I have made an appt to have 3 cats tested by my vet (Tango, Buddy and Pepper) Tuesday (tomorrow) at 3:15. I won't know for at least 24-48 hours the results and I am already crying NOW cuz I am TERRIFIED of what the results may be...

I just don't know if I am being paranoid or if there IS something really wrong with some of my cats. Tango and Buddy seems lethegratic sometimes but not all the time. I found vomit several times over the weekend but it could be cuz I brought pet grass for them to eat.

I just NEED vibes to get me through the next couple days until I find out the results and then I'll know what to do next.

This is so frightening for me and I'm sure many others are going through the same emotions as I am but I just feel so alone!
My cats are my babies. I feel like I cannot even trust my judgement in buying FOOD for them now! What IS safe now for them to eat??

What will I do if I find out any of them HAVE been affected PERMANENTLY by this? I'll be devastated!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs*
I think they'll be okay. When did they eat the food? How much did they eat? How long ago was that? It sounded to me like the pets that have died had severe, acute renal failure... something that can kill within a couple days. I hope that is the case and that your kitties are okay.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok CALM DOWN!!!!!!! The amount of kitties being affected is very small compared to the number of kitties eating the food. There is absolutely no reason to get so worried.

Feed them just dry food if you're that worried, and wait until this has all passed before you give the wet food again.

If they were sick from the food you'd know about it by now. I honestly think you're overreacting a wee bit, and you have nothing to worry about.

Generally cat food is quite safe. Occasionally things do happen - just like the spinach scare recently - there's one bad batch that affects a tiny percentage of people/pets and everyone freaks out. It's important to get rid of any affected food, and then continue as normal while watching your cats.

The symptoms sounds pretty bad and I honestly do think you'd have seen a lot more strange behaviour if something was wrong.

Your kitties just sound normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

*hugs*
I think they'll be okay. When did they eat the food? How much did they eat? How long ago was that? It sounded to me like the pets that have died had severe, acute renal failure... something that can kill within a couple days. I hope that is the case and that your kitties are okay.
I stopped immediately when I found out which was SUNDAY. I have no idea how much they've eaten because I tend to give them 2 cans of fancy feast (which is fine) and 1 packet of nutro for dinner every night so who knows how long this has gone on for??

I've talked with some vets, some friends, etc and really the symptoms and the time frame varies- it depends on how weak/strong the tainted food were, how much was ingested, etc so it could be a couple days or a couple weeks...

Thanks for the vibes- I just can't focus on work or school or anything... I can't even go to sleep for heaven sake!

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~calming vibes~ you're not going to do you or your kitties any good becoming a wreck. So take some deep breaths and focus....you've done all you can do at the moment and you need to just relax and spend some quality time with your kitties without getting them upset....they sense these things and its not good to any of you to stress out....I understand your worried but you'll end up getting yourself sick, and if your busy at work it won't help you any to miss time due to sickness...it will only compound your situation. ~healthy vibes~ sent your way too. Hang in there - until you get the results and find that it was all for naught.
We're here for you....but you need to keep calm. :eek:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ok CALM DOWN!!!!!!! The amount of kitties being affected is very small compared to the number of kitties eating the food. There is absolutely no reason to get so worried.

Feed them just dry food if you're that worried, and wait until this has all passed before you give the wet food again.

If they were sick from the food you'd know about it by now. I honestly think you're overreacting a wee bit, and you have nothing to worry about.

Generally cat food is quite safe. Occasionally things do happen - just like the spinach scare recently - there's one bad batch that affects a tiny percentage of people/pets and everyone freaks out. It's important to get rid of any affected food, and then continue as normal while watching your cats.

The symptoms sounds pretty bad and I honestly do think you'd have seen a lot more strange behaviour if something was wrong.

Your kitties just sound normal.
I'm continuing with feeding them Fancy Feast at night time- I KNOW they'll KILL me if they get NO wet food. I may be overreacting to this (I HOPE SO) but it's hard for me to be rational about this. I know of one person whose cat graduatelly got sicker over a couple weeks before being diagnosed with ARF and the food they used was on the recall list..

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

O.K., one step at a time. Don't jump to conclusions, wait for the results, and take things from there. I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for you and your sweeties!
I know- I keep telling myself to think positive and try not to jump to conclusions but it's HARD!!!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think you're over-reacting a little, but I would probably feel the same way in your shoes. Just have the emergency vet's number close by just in case you notice any more symptoms before their appointment. I'm no expert on cat health, but they sound pretty normal to me from the way you described it... but it's very good that you're getting them checked out.
I think it would be unwise not to.

*hugs*

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HUG, I am more then willing to bet you kitties are going to be ok.
just keep a eye on them. You are doing everything you can do right now.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
mum told me about it last night even though you guys posted the link days ago. is it just in the u.s? im not at animal aid anymore but i know they use only eukanuba and iams for the cats and dogs. we dont use them at home because they are a bit expensive for us. we use whiskas and snappy tom.

i am sure your kitties will be ok. as they said in the news only a small amount had been affected so it should be alright

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending positive {{{vibes}}} for your babies. Try to stay calm until the vet appointment where I think you will hear they're ok.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pamela, you're being a great kitty mom, showing this concern for your babies. Sending many good (and calming) vibes to you and the kits and anyone else who may have been affected by this situation {{{{{}}}}}

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a furmeowmy it is our job to be worried scared and paranoid that is how we are with the human kids right. Our cats are no different but they have fur and 4 legs. Take it easy and am sure it will all work out. I am sending tons of vibes ok

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pamela...I can understand your worry, I had tainted food here but I never fed it and it was for my new kitten
...I can only imagine what you are feeling but try to trust and have faith that everything will be alright...it is out of your hands now and you have all of us praying for you and your babies

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've been feeding them for awhile.. and they're showing signs that you only *think* they're showing... in other words.. if they're not showing more definite signs that you could be absolutely certain are signs.. then the probability is (positive thinking here), that they are either very slow to be affected, which means they've got a great chance of getting past it and are probably not in serious health risk currently and/or they will get better very fast... or, they're probably not in serious danger? So, keep a positive attitude, chin up, and keep calm. Those lil ones can sense your mood and you don't want to stress them. Go take a nice long hot bath or shower, with some candles, relax yourself, and then cuddle your kitties and watch a movie or something. Keep yourself busy.

I know how you feel, though. I have to take my other two to the vet. I've already had the first two over there this week.
One for spaying, one for foot surgery (but they had bloodwork done and all signs are normal), and now I need to get the other two checked out because they've got a few symptoms that I'm not entirely sure are normal. I'm being a little paranoid, though, but.. so be it!

Chin up and
You've got to be positive!!!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates? You can't just post like that and not let us know what happened.
I guess it's possible you don't know yet, but at least tell us if they are any worse.

I found some kitty vomit today and now I'm freaking out.
We didn't feed the Authority that is on recall, only hard food and pate-style soft food...

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking that I bet a lot of vet's offices are getting some good business this month...