No-sorb... has it worked for anyone?

kristin23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet just gave me som No-sorb (black plastic pellets) for Gus's urinalysis. It doesn't even cover the bottom of the litter pan and he looked at me like "you've got to be kidding..."

If we're trying to rule out a UTI, making him hold it in because this new "litter" freaks him out seems more than counter-productive. I don't want to make it worse.

Any thoughts?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow never had a problem using the No-Sorb. I'd give him a couple of hours unless he is showing signs of distress. You might also check with the vet to see if you can use the plastic bag method--cover the normal litter with a plastic bag so you can capture the urine without it being absorbed, but so that the kitty can still feel like there is litter under his feet. However, the most accurate method is to have the vet draw out the urine via cystocentesis--it is the least likely to be contaminated that way.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got some from the vet several years ago, but couldn't get any of my cats to use it.

The plastic bag sounds like it might be a good idea.

Bailey needed to have a UA last week and rather than pack him up and take him into the clinic, I just stuck a cup underneath him while he peed. I know that's not possible with a lot of cats, but I've been able to do it with several of my cats of the years. Do you think Gus would let you do that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristin23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DebsKats

I got some from the vet several years ago, but couldn't get any of my cats to use it.

Bailey needed to have a UA last week and rather than pack him up and take him into the clinic, I just stuck a cup underneath him while he peed. I know that's not possible with a lot of cats, but I've been able to do it with several of my cats of the years. Do you think Gus would let you do that?
If I could catch him doing so, that would be great. I'm pretty sure he would stop as soon as I got near him though. I have classes and work during the day, so I can't be here to wait for him to go to the litter box. I'm able to come home for brief minutes between class and work to check on him, but...

I'm frankly just a little beside myself right now. I got less than three hours of sleep last night worrying about him and monitoring him. (He acted fine, but I found three small puddles of pee on the floor and only a tiny bit in the litter box in 36 hours). I'm going crazy with preps for finals of my first year of graduate school. On top of it, I'm fretting about my kitty dying overnight. I mean, he's a vocal cat --always has been. His meows sound like whines --always have. He's a quirky cat. So it's hard to tell what's significant and what's not. The vet didn't feel blockage, so I guess that's a good thing. I keep telling myself that if she thought it was anything hugely dangerous, she would have taken bigger precautions... right?

Anyway, I'm trying to sneak in some sleep when I can tonight. Thanks so much for all the input, everyone. I'm sorry I'm being so weird about this here and in the other post. Grad school, finals, sick(?) kitty, not being ablt to communicate with him to know what's wrong and just tell him to pee, three hours of sleep... Rainy days and Mondays...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a regular (no lid) litterpan, and I set the small (cheap) pan with the charcoal in it in the regular litterpan (on top of the regular litter), and that seemed to work pretty well
. Good luck!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DebsKats

i've had the same trouble. mine won't use no-sorb. i ended up using the cup method too.
raven just looked at me like i was completely nuts.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

i've had the same trouble. mine won't use no-sorb. i ended up using the cup method too.
raven just looked at me like i was completely nuts.
I'm glad Bailey wasn't the only one. He kept looking over his shoulder, and I could just hear him thinking . . . "What the heck do you think you're doing!" If looks could have killed, I'd have been a goner.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going thru this right now with my baby. I had the vet get the urine because I knew I wouldn't be able to. I dropped him off at 7:30am this morning and they gave him fluids. The vet just called me at 1:00 and said they were able to get some urine and I could come pick him up. This was just easier for me then trying to get it myself.

I can sympathize with the no sleep and monitoring. I've had several of those nights myself over the past month. If he is going a little bit - like a quarter size or the dribbles, he probably isn't blocked. My vet showed me how to feel under the belly area to see if they are blocked. She said it would feel big and hard, but I don't know that I'd be able to tell. I do monitor mine very closely to make sure he is going. I'm probably a little anal about it... I actually keep a log on the kitchen counter and write down when he goes, how much, and the time.

Hang in there... it can be frustrating. I'm hoping to have the results of my Simba's urinalysis back by Thursday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristin23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm taking Gus in tomorrow for them to try to get it themselves. I don't know if they're using a syringe in his bladder or not. Initially, they said his bladder was too small, but now they're going to try? Maybe they just meant it wasn't full enough to be large enough to try. Anyway, Gus's results should come back Thursday as well. Let me know how Simba's turn out.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That Smart Box is interesting, I hadn't heard of that before.

I just did the ole cup method when I needed to get some urine from Pushy. It was enough for analysis, however next time he had to have the cystocentesis for an accurate analysis.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't know if i'd be able to use the cup method - stoli and luxor have really low squats.

taima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

i don't know if i'd be able to use the cup method - stoli and luxor have really low squats.
My cat does as well. What I've done that's worked with him is take a small plastic bowl and cut the bottom off it and that's easier to slip under him. A few times he has stopped going & looked at me like I was crazy. I've been able to get it this way several times though. He would not use the no-sorb, an empty pan, or with the plastic. He's very stubborn.

jules13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just used NoSorb for my cat and he seems not to be bothered by it even though it is black and there is not much on the bottom.  I stay away while he is in the litter box.  I have used it several times.  I also got pH strips so I can check the pH myself.  I just took his urine into the vet to be tested, so I will see if my pH strips match his pH.  I was looking on line to see if I could get it cheaper, but it is actually cheaper at the vet.  They probably get a big bag.