News from the orthopedic surgeon

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My appoint with the orthopedic surgeon was today. The x rays very clearly and obviously showed where the problem area was. The area is actually referred to as pelvis and not hip.

So far the good news is no surgery. However the bad news is that there's not much that can be done, some due to the fact that my lower vertebra are fused as well. For now I'm on feldene 20mgs to help prevent inflammation and waiting to be called for my psychical therapy schedule. I'll need six weeks of it.

If this doesn't help the doctor did mention injections into the joint.
So it looks like I'll just have to live with it and hope that medication helps.
It will get worse but maybe in the future there'll be more that can be done.

Those reading that have pain, go to the doctor. At the very least medication can slow down the damage being done or possibly catch something more serious before it's too late to help.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, that is too bad. I guess its good you don't need surgery, but a life of pain would be hard
I hope the meds help!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a shame they can't get in there and fix it.
I hope the physical therapy helps.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had hip pain for last 7 years and it's not getting better. I have tried physical therapy and numerous pain meds, all to no avail. I hope the meds work for you!!! I'm just glad they can tell you what is wrong! They still can't tell me.
I'm going back this friday. I can understand and relate to your pain. I really hope the meds work. I have also had injections. Those did help me in one area where I had hip pain.
Please keep us posted. I'm so glad you don't need surgery!
I know that can be scary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Originally Posted by Ellen13

I have severe osteoporosis and my lower spine is fused together and I also ruptured 2 disc in my back last year. I didn't have to have surgery but I did have physical therapy and that made a world of difference.
I'm glad that was able to help you. What do I have to except with therapy? What type of exercises and such. The doctor did say that strengthening the muscle should help some, though if it's to learn how to "work through" the pain I think they're wasting their effort there, I do know how to do that.

Originally Posted by Duchess15

I've had hip pain for last 7 years and it's not getting better. I have tried physical therapy and numerous pain meds, all to no avail. I hope the meds work for you!!! I'm just glad they can tell you what is wrong! They still can't tell me.
That's awful.
Is it your hip or in your pelvis? As the doctor was saying hip pain tends to be felt more in the groin area, wheres SI joint/pelvis is more in the lower back.
I've had pain problems my entire life though it didn't start in my lower back/hip area until I was around 10. These were just occasional flare up so I did my best just to get through them. Now it's progressed to at least 4 to 5 days out of a the week.

I'm going back this friday. I can understand and relate to your pain. I really hope the meds work. I have also had injections. Those did help me in one area where I had hip pain.
I hope they can find the problem.
The feldene is a once a day anti-inflammatory, have you been put on anything like that before? I don't feel quite as stiff as I did earlier or usually do in the evening, and who knows, maybe it will help with my shoulders too. I was told that it could take 4 to 5 days to have a noticeable effect. However it was rough on my stomach the first hour after I took it.
Where the injections painful? How often did you have to have them?

I did find one bit of information kind of funny, because my a couple of my lower vertebra are fused and my pelvis isn't normal some of my range of motion isn't normal either. That's why I can't touch my toes! And here all those years in school P.E. teachers just thought I was being lazy.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

That's awful.
Is it your hip or in your pelvis? As the doctor was saying hip pain tends to be felt more in the groin area, wheres SI joint/pelvis is more in the lower back.
I've had pain problems my entire life though it didn't start in my lower back/hip area until I was around 10. These were just occasional flare up so I did my best just to get through them. Now it's progressed to at least 4 to 5 days out of a the week.
Mine started because during off season for tennis I would run 4 miles. Well, after feeling pain, I should have stopped but I ran through it, which caused an injury. It went away for a while, but would always start again when I tried to run. I no longer run anywhere close to 4 miles. I'm luckly if I can do 1-2 miles. Now the major pain I have is literally in my butt (pelvis). It's a very specific spot and the pain is very deep.
My pain was right on the side where the socket was, I only needed one injection and also took oral steroids and it got better. I thought it was bursitis. The injection does hurt, but only because the needle is so much longer. It doesn't hurt for long. The worst part is how sore you feel after the injection.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hope they can find the problem.
The feldene is a once a day anti-inflammatory, have you been put on anything like that before? I don't feel quite as stiff as I did earlier or usually do in the evening, and who knows, maybe it will help with my shoulders too. I was told that it could take 4 to 5 days to have a noticeable effect. However it was rough on my stomach the first hour after I took it.
Where the injections painful? How often did you have to have them?
They have already done two MRI's and a bone scan. They can find nothing wrong with the bone. They think it might be a nerve or muscle problem. I have not taken feldene. Any anti-flammatory meds I have tried, do nothing. They have put me in pamelor which is a anti-depressant(I thought he was nuts at first, why would I need this?), but the doctor said they use these meds at low doses to relax the nerve. It seems to have gotten better, but it still hasn't gone away. The pain is on both sides in the same area. Someone has to know what's wrong. I'm just frustrated at this point. It took me a long time to decide to even go in because I have only been disappointed.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs* i hope it goes well

unfortunately pain is inevitable for my hip and im only 23. i had a femoral osteotomy when i was 5 so i can empathise with anyone who has any joint problems.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww hun I'm sorry to hear of your pain and problems. I work in orthopaedic surgery and it can be a blow to hear that having an operation is not going to be suitable for you. We have so many patients who come with such hope that there will be a cure for their pain, when sadly, sometimes there isn't.

Cortisone injections (if that's what they are) can be very beneficial, and so can conservative treatments like physiotherapy and exercise. There is a vitamin called Glucosamine (in Australia - not sure what it's called where you are) that has been found to be very beneficial in the treatment of osteoarthritis and other disorders that are surgically untreatable. We recommend it all the time, and it really can help.

I feel for you, I hope that the measures planned will help, and I'm thinking of you

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

*hugs* i hope it goes well

unfortunately pain is inevitable for my hip and im only 23. i had a femoral osteotomy when i was 5 so i can empathise with anyone who has any joint problems.
Aw - hugs.
I've had the pelvic osteotomy, so I can empathize with YOU!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mind and body is very good at doing things that you wouldn't think possible. I think with a positive outlook attitude, you may be able to overcome this more than you think.

I wish the best for you. I'm going through things of my own now with my hands and wondering if I'll get past it, so you're not alone

*hug*

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that it will get better for you and that the medication helps. I went and saw the physical medicine doctor today to get a higher dosage of medication so I don't have to take so many little pills. I am going to stick with it and continue stretching, excercising and see if it will improve. Afterall, it can't really get worse at this point.

Keep us posted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

The mind and body is very good at doing things that you wouldn't think possible. I think with a positive outlook attitude, you may be able to overcome this more than you think.
I consider myself more of a realist, but occasionally everyone gets down now and then. It doesn't last long though, I'm too stubborn or maybe just used to dealing with it.

I went and saw the physical medicine doctor today to get a higher dosage of medication so I don't have to take so many little pills. I am going to stick with it and continue stretching, excercising and see if it will improve.
I hope it helps. Keeping track of all the "little pills" can be hard sometimes.. in fact I need to go take my multivitamin. Maybe swimming would be good for you too?

I go in Tuesday morning for psychical therapy

Does anyone know what sort of stuff I should expect while there?