TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Cat Bites Man: Another Frivolous Lawsuit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat Bites Man: Another Frivolous Lawsuit

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Read about it here.

Stupid people make me CRAZY. And the fact that he was given ANY kind of award just makes me MORE crazy!

So much for family!
post #2 of 21
wow--what a total jerk! poor lady, i hope she doesn't end up having to pay that...
post #3 of 21
Why is it frivolous? Cat bites can be serious and cause infections...you all know that. I think cat bites should be taken just as seriously as dog bites! Just as somebody who has a dog known to be aggressive shouldn't have that dog around other people, I don't think a person who has a cat known for having attitude should let that cat around people either. At least you can put a leash on a dog and have some control. You can't control a cat!
post #4 of 21
It doesn't say whether the man seeked any medical treatment directly after the bite. I'm going to guess that he didn't since the swelling and infection got bad enough to put him in the hospital.
post #5 of 21
that just makes me mad, and on top of it it was his sisters cat, and at the end he said that she still has the cat she loves it dearly and named it after her late husband, and what kind of brother would do that and put a sister through that this just makes me so mad, the cat had to of bite him for some reason u know !!!
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Why is it frivolous? Cat bites can be serious and cause infections...you all know that. I think cat bites should be taken just as seriously as dog bites! Just as somebody who has a dog known to be aggressive shouldn't have that dog around other people, I don't think a person who has a cat known for having attitude should let that cat around people either. At least you can put a leash on a dog and have some control. You can't control a cat!
Why???

Did you read the article?

A.) It was his SISTER'S cat
B.) He was warned that the cat bites, and did not heed the warning

I can see a brother suing a sister over an estate issue, but over a cat bite? C'mon, now!
post #7 of 21
As much as I love cats, I gotta take the brother's side here. First of all, her insurance should have paid the claim. Secondly, I think people have a right to visit without fear of being attacked for no reason. But the man should have washed his wound right away, and put some neosporin on it or something.

My cat does not like strangers very well, but she hides upstairs. I don't believe she would ever bite unprovoked. But she scratched me really bad once when she was on my lap and a noise scared her. It was summertime and I was wearing shorts. Her claws went deep enough to cause scars. I did disinfect the wound immediately and used neosporin, and didn't have a problem.
post #8 of 21
I got the impression that Sabo is after the insurance company that refused to pay his damages. Since the insurance company denied the claim, Pabst said his client had no choice but to sue. It seems he meant to sue the insurance company, not the sister. "Pabst said the insurance company would be expected to pay the jury award for medical bills, lost income and compensation for pain and suffering."
post #9 of 21
Well, I know these things are complicated. I hope it's the insurance company who foots the bill. Still, suing your sister! That should make for some fun conversation at Thanksgiving.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
But the man should have washed his wound right away, and put some neosporin on it or something.
That works well for scratches but deep bites need soaking in iodine/betadine and saline solution, and a doctor visit to get antibiotics. Worse bites may even need drains and surgery if they get badly infected. If a person gets a serious infection, and they likely will since cat bites are very dirty, they need antibiotics.
Smaller bites don't seem to be as bad and some people are ok without a visit. Having been through a bad bite myself, I say better safe then sorry. Or in this case, better a doctor visit than a hospital stay.
post #11 of 21
Cat bites do get infected very quickly, very badly, and maybe this sister could have done something more to prevent the bite - but maybe somehow he provoked the cat, and the lawyer isn't including that in part of the story. Who knows. I will say that, had I been the sister, I would have offered to pay for the hospital bill (provided the cat really did bite him unprovoked) and would have been pretty mad at my insurance too if they didn't pay. But I can understand why their relationship is strained - its a pretty nasty thing for a brother to sue his sister. The best scenario would have been both of them suing the insurance company together, I guess.
post #12 of 21
Last year I was bitten on my right thumb by a cat at work who was not too pleased with us taking xrays of him... It was 5:30pm and I decided to wait and see how it looked in the morning... By 9pm that nigh it was swollen and I knew it was going to get infected... Sooooo the next day I filed a workers comp claim and went STRAIGHT to the doctor. I had a pretty good infection in the wounds. I had draining tracts going all the way up my arm. I got a shot of antibiotics and some oral antibiotics to go home on. Within a couple of days it cleared up just fine....
My point being... I'm betting he waited several days to go to a doctor. Many people dont realize that 80% of cat bites get infected because cat have over 400,000 differant types of bacteria in their mouths...
Ignorance is not an excuse...
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty14788 View Post
I had draining tracts going all the way up my arm. I got a shot of antibiotics and some oral antibiotics to go home on. Within a couple of days it cleared up just fine....
A "couple of days" I was lucky I didn't have to have anything more than the initial soak, oral antibiotics, and then regular epsom salt soaks. But it did take around a week and a half to heal and for the pain to go away. My arm was one big bruise. Not volunteering for that sort of stupidity again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty14788 View Post
Ignorance is not an excuse...
Apparently the jury's ignorance worked in his favor. At most the sister or her insurance should have had to pay for what an emergency walk in doctor or hospital visit would have had to cost, around $500, the amount for the damage her cat caused. The rest is his own fault.
post #14 of 21
well the lady was lucky even though everything was prewarned that nothing happen to the cat with all this camotion.I got bit by a cat pretty bad when I was grooming. 4 puncture woons on my forearm that broke the skin real good and they bruised around each puncture. I was forced to stop what I was doing and go get a tetnus shot...I could barely groom for a week my arm was so sore
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
As much as I love cats, I gotta take the brother's side here. First of all, her insurance should have paid the claim. Secondly, I think people have a right to visit without fear of being attacked for no reason. But the man should have washed his wound right away, and put some neosporin on it or something.

My cat does not like strangers very well, but she hides upstairs. I don't believe she would ever bite unprovoked. But she scratched me really bad once when she was on my lap and a noise scared her. It was summertime and I was wearing shorts. Her claws went deep enough to cause scars. I did disinfect the wound immediately and used neosporin, and didn't have a problem.
Hold on everyone, this is far to ridiculous to support or side with, there is absolutely not enough information to validate either side! The cat jumped onto his lap, and after that? When did he finally realize he needed medical attention, $122,000 later? That is ridiculous! Even $20,000 later....come on!
post #16 of 21
I think it's a shame that he had to go to court, but I also feel that it's a little unfair to have to pay thousands in medical bills because a cat bit you!

The sister had a responsibility to keep the cat away from people if it were a cat that bites. Same with dogs who bite. The brother had a responsibility not to let his bite get so out of hand that he required thousands of dollars worth of medical treatment to fix it.

I'd imagine the court ruling also took into consideration loss of income from being hospitalised, but it's a LOT of money.

In Australia, at least, impairment and disability assessments are based upon part-of-body impairment or percentage of whole body impairment, and a set sum is allocated. Therefore, his hand may have been 20% impaired which led to an equivalent assessment of, say, 5% whole body impairment, for which the payout would be `set' amount of dollars. But that may not be the same where this happened, and once lawyers get involved then the sums can vary hugely.

All-in-all, I think that it should have been treated the same way dog bites are. Obviously it was a serious injury in the end, and he should have had his medical bills paid and his loss of income recompensed. Whether that came close to what he actually got paid, well, I guess we'll never know!

I think the bottom line is that people need to be responsible for their animals if they are known to be aggressive - cat, dog, horse, bird, rat - whatever. And if you are warned that an animal is aggressive, you stay away from it! I think this is one of those situations for which there are definitely `two sides'.
post #17 of 21
Wow!! I dont blame the guy for getting mad for the bite, but he WAS warned that the cat would bite. D'oh! Hello..........

And that much $$$, come on....thats just messed up!
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
I think the bottom line is that people need to be responsible for their animals if they are known to be aggressive - cat, dog, horse, bird, rat - whatever.
The sister knew the cat was a biter, she should have kept it in a bedroom so nothing could happen.
post #19 of 21
In case you didn't know this, Democratic presidental candidate John Edwards made his millions as the style of lawyer that represent the brother in this case. These lawyers aren't stupid, they know what works. And it has propelled some of them into legendary status.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty14788 View Post
Many people dont realize that 80% of cat bites get infected because cat have over 400,000 differant types of bacteria in their mouths...
Ignorance is not an excuse...
Sorry but every one is ignorent about something. Just because someone may or may not know something like a cat bite can be infected fast doesnt meen that they dont have a right to defend themselves. Not everyone owns cats. If it was a bad enough wound he has the right to have his medical bills taken care of. It doesnt matter if it is his sister or not. Yeah I agree it is kinda meen of him but he still has the right like I said if it was really bad anyway.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazycatlover View Post
Sorry but every one is ignorent about something. Just because someone may or may not know something like a cat bite can be infected fast doesnt meen that they dont have a right to defend themselves. Not everyone owns cats. If it was a bad enough wound he has the right to have his medical bills taken care of. It doesnt matter if it is his sister or not. Yeah I agree it is kinda meen of him but he still has the right like I said if it was really bad anyway.
See i semi agree with that, because well he was warned which tells u stay away or have the sister move the cat if he comes near, or simply why didn't he ask theres more to this story to really judge u know, the sister may have warned him and asked him if he wanted her to put the cat up and such, we will never know the real story is what it comes down to!!! But it was also his ignorance to wait to go to the doctor, if it got red and swollen that night y wouldn't u go to the hospital or to the doctor or anything? It to me is common sense if a scratch/bite/wound whatever gets swollen and red its getting infected and to get it taken care of right away! I would want someone to take care of it but if u wait so long then really whos fault it it u know what i mean!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Cat Bites Man: Another Frivolous Lawsuit