Wish me luck..

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to look at a new house today. I can't take the rental and the neighborhood anymore
We loose money all the time because of the rental, and the neighborhood becoming terrible. I found a house that looks ok from the outside and we are going to look at it at 4 today. It's in a nice neighborhood and close to some friends of ours. I hope it's what we are looking for.
Any quick tips on what to look for? We really didn't have anything to ask on this one since DH's Grandparents sold it to him.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oooo I love house-hunting
hope you like it !

things to ask ? do you mean like

does it have central heating, double glazing and that sort of stuff ?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the age of the furnace, what method is used to heat the house. Check the insulation-go up in attic if possible. Flush the toilets, run water in the sinks. Shut doors to see if they shut. Look for cracks in the foundation in the basement or on any walls. Any water problems in the basement, sumps pump if there is one-in good working condition.
Check electrical box. Check windows-open any rotting wood???
This is all I can think of offhand!!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

oopps sorry - maybe you have triple glazing - windows that have two or three panes of glass to keep the heat in & save energy !
Here we just call it Double Pane, or Storm Windows.

I don't have any other advice to add, but I wanted to wish you good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Here we just call it Double Pane, or Storm Windows.

I don't have any other advice to add, but I wanted to wish you good luck!!
AH! got it! Thanks!
I hope it's what I want. It looks really nice from the outside.
Has central air, gas heating, forced air, and it says the roof is in good condition, things like that (at least that's what it says on the listing.)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail had lots of good advice
best wishes that the house is as great inside as out!!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

AH! got it! Thanks!
I hope it's what I want. It looks really nice from the outside.
Has central air, gas heating, forced air, and it says the roof is in good condition, things like that (at least that's what it says on the listing.)
Coming from someone whose husband owns their own roofing company, ask exactly how old the roof is, and who put it on. You'll want to check to see if it is still in warranty. Pay attention to the ceilings in the house to look for water spots, if any are present have someone look at the roof, even if they tell you that they are old stains! Your roof is one of your most important parts of a house!

Good luck!!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! Looking for and buying a house can be one of the most stressful things a person will go through, but in the end it's worth it.

Some things we looked at:

1) Furnance and Oil Tank. These aren't cheap to replace, so as when the last time they've been serviced was. If you see any leaks, tell the seller that they have to get it fixed before you'll even consider.

2) Roof. Roofs generally last about 20 years or so, so if you can notice any buckling, lifting, or anything that looks like it's in rough shape, again negotiate that to be fixed. Find out how old it is. When you go for insurance, they'll want to know before they'll insure you. Even if it's an approximate age it's fine.

3) Electrical. Not sure about wattage/voltage, but it's best to find a house that has upgraded electrical to circuit breakers especially if it's an older house.

4) Mold. Especially up in the attic, check to see any signs of mold. If there are, you may want to reconsider.

5) Structural/wood damage. Anything that might be a sign of termites.

6) Water damage or signs of water entry, especially in the basement. There should be a sump pump if there is any history of water entry, and if there isn't a sump pump, I'd personally stay away. I felt wary even looking at houses that had them just knowing that water did come in. Every basement has some water issues, even if it's condensation from pipes (which we have), but look for any visible signs or an overly musty smell.

7) What method of heating is used, oil, gas or electric. It's good to ask around and research how much it would cost to heat/use the stove using each method because some are more than the other. You'd hate to move in and find out that you could've saved $200 a month if the house had only had one method over another.

8) This is sometimes overlooked, but check to see how clean the house is. This is a good indication of how well the house was taken care of. We looked at houses that still had dirty dishes in the dishwasher, food in cabinets, and just all unkept appearance.

9) Water Pressure. You don't want to find out that you have no water pressure and it'll take you an hour to take a shower

10) Lead Paint - Some older houses still have lead paint, and you can pay for an inspection to find out if they do have it. It doesn't have to be removed, but if you have kids, even if you have hungry kitties, you could have problems. I believe some insurance policies may not look well at a house that still has lead paint.

11) Town Sewer or Septic - It's important to know because you'll have to either pay for the sewer on your water bill, or you'll have to pump out your septic tank every few years. If it's septic, ask when the last time it was pumped. There is another thing my dad said to ask about with this but I can't remember what it is.

12) Remember to have an inspection by a private inspector, not one the seller sets up and not one recommended by the bank, one you pick out. He'll point out all these things anyway.

Other than that, look at things that might have to be replaced or redone like carpeting, other flooring, wallpapering, painting etc.. because you'll have to factor all those things in cost wise. I wouldn't get hung up on things like doors that might be sticky or not close all the way. All those things can be fixed rather easily, and things change with the weather anyway. Windows, unless they are severely drafty, can be changed eventually and they can be written off on your taxes. It's still not a bad idea to ask how old they are, just to know.

Remember that every house has it's little imperfections unless it's brand new, and to not get hung up on the little things. They can be changed over time.

Make sure that you get a house that is large enough for what you need right now, or as long as you think you may be in the house. You might have to compromise if price is an issue, but it's something you really have to think about. We put an offer down on a house that we wound up losing that now that we think about it, if we had gotten it, would've been too small and we would've been miserable.

That's all I can think of right now, all the things I learned from when we bought our house and I knew to ask when I looked.

Good luck!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope it's wonderful! If it isn't - I hope you find exactly what you want, where you want, and when you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sending lots of positive vibes your way!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They all were icky. Only one was nice but it had dogs in the yard behind it outside 24/7 and they barked the whole time we were there. We don't want that if we can avoid it at all costs. But the house was cute, huge for just two poeple but cute none the less. The cats would be in Heaven in that house. But like I said, I don't want to live behind dogs that would be outside 24/7 barking.
I basically have that now so why would I pay for something new (and more expensive) that we wouldn't be happy with right after we got it.
But we have time to look so I'm not worried.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

They all were icky. Only one was nice but it had dogs in the yard behind it outside 24/7 and they barked the whole time we were there. We don't want that if we can avoid it at all costs. But the house was cute, huge for just two poeple but cute none the less. The cats would be in Heaven in that house. But like I said, I don't want to live behind dogs that would be outside 24/7 barking.
I basically have that now so why would I pay for something new (and more expensive) that we wouldn't be happy with right after we got it.
But we have time to look so I'm not worried.
Yeah one thing I had to learn is that you just have to be patient. The next house you look at could be the one, you never know.

You were good to consider what neighbors you'd have too and the location. Alot of times people overlook that.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well happy looking then! We looked at homes off and on for over a year before we settled on this one.

Good luck with your search!
Hilda>^..^<

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Barb, sorry to hear those houses weren't to your liking, but do what Jerry and I did. We would just take drives in the neighborhoods we wanted to live in and look for houses for sale....you just might come across your dream home!
And of course take pics of the ones you look at so we can see too!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't impressed with the homes. In the meantime, here's something else to keep in mind when househunting. Two things that are important to me as a homeowner that other people sometimes don't think of:

I will not purchase a home in which the front door is not covered (i.e. there must be some sort of structure protecting it from the rain). It's not much fun to have to stand in the rain or snow when you're trying to open your front door.

I have terrible allergies so I always look for a home that does not have forced air heating. I prefer hot rad heating (radiant heating) because it does not blow the allergens around the air.

Also, when you find the home you like, I strongly suggest hiring a company to do a thorough house inspection, as they may spot potential issues and problems that you didn't see.