Male cat sexually aggressive toward male kitten and also making poopy on my bed

lemasa82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a 3 month old male kitten a little over a week ago to add to our family. We already had a 7 month old male. At first they fought and I saw it as normal because of the whole territorial thing.

However, I noticed yesterday. after hearing the kitten meowing louder than usual, that the older one was grabbing the little one's neck and mounting him. The baby would cry while he did this because of the force of his jaws on his scruff.
I saw him doing it today too. Both times I lifted him off by the scruff of his neck (which took some force because of his gripping the pther kitten tightly) and put him in my face and said "No" to him.. I then set him down on the ground and patted and talked softly to him so that he wouldn't be scared of me or hate me. (Was that wrong?)

A little while later I went upstairs and was greeted by a horrendous smell.. I did a quick inspection and found that the older one had pooped and peed on my bed. The basement door (where the litter box is kept) was shut for a little while this morning, but once I noticed I opened it. Can anyone give me some advice as to A) how to stop the sexual aggression, and B) why he crapped on my bed, and how to get the pee smell out of my mattress.???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are both of your males neutered? If not, that's the major problems and can be cured by getting them neutered now. The older one is becoming sexually mature if he's not neutered.

And the innappriate peeing is his way of marking territory.

I would separate the males and get them neutered and then reintroduce them slowly. Did you just turn the kittne loose in the house when you brought him home?

As far as the pee in the mattress - that is why we have a plastic cover and the soft mattress cover under the sheets

You might try some of the Nature's Miracle cleaner that is good for urine and throw up stains.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been having very similar problems as you describe, my 2 kittens (now 10 months and 4 1/2 months) play fight and while the little one (Sonic) is happy with this for a while, the older one (Radar) just won't let up when Sonic signals that he has had enough! Part of the problem with my 2 is that Sonic will not submit to Radar, I think when he gets big enough he will be the dominant cat but he's not physically large enough yet to tell Radar to stop. I am hoping that having the little 'un neutered will help a lot (can't get it done until 6 months so roll on May!)

Anyhow, with us it was the younger one, Sonic, peeing on the bed and on our clothes - the bedroom was 'his' territory and it could have been that he was marking it as 'his', or it may have been insecurity - but either way we have dealt with an awful lot of wet sheets, duvets, and damp patches on the mattress!

You need a cleaning product that contains enzymes to dissolve the proteins in the urine (or the cat will still smell it and associate it with somewhere to go to the toilet), if you are in the US then 'Nature's Miracle' is the recommended product, stupidly I can't remember the name of the one we got here in the UK, spot-off or something like that!

For sheets and quilts - spray onto the bedding until the area is quite wet, with quilts make sure it has soaked through, leave to dry, and then wash with biological detergent.

For mattresses - I'm afraid this isn't so easy, but you have to pour the stuff onto and around the area that has been peed on and let it soak right into the mattress. Then let it dry - the surface will dry out naturally, once that is dry-ish, you need to use a hairdrier on the mattress to help dry out the inside.

Once this is done, get yourself a machine washable mattress protector - these aren't the horrid rubber sheets that they used to be, you can get ones that are waterproof but not crinkly and horrid and have a washable fleecy top, they are actually quite comfy and even for normal use will extend the life of your mattress so are a good investment

ETA: I forgot to say that a 'black-light' will show up any areas you have missed (cat urine fluoresces in UV light), you can get small hand held ones - try your pet store or e-bay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemasa82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You guys are awesome, thanks for the advice! I knew that them being neutered would help out a lot but I never knew that it would cause so much sexual tension. He is only 7 months old... So I am going to take this as my warning and get the big boy fixed asap. I will try the solution for the mattress problem, but as for the sheets and blankets, I soaked them in a wash of bleach in the washer and then washed them with regular detergent. Hopefully that will work.

And yes I did just let the kitten loose when I got him. I didn't know that it would be such a big problem.. but now I don't know what to do because there aren't really any places in my house where I can keep them separated from eachother. Any suggestions for that? If I lock one in a room for one day and then switch them every day then won't they get all angry and start peeing everywhere when they smell the other ones' scent in the rest of the house?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually that's the BEST way - lock one in the room with food/water/litter pan and then switch places in 2 days.

You can get BOTH done (neutered now) - the younger one is old enough - they do early neutering now at 10 weeks and up. Charlie was done at 3 months old

Since you will be getting them done, it would be a good time to do the introductions all over again. It will take about a month for the hormones to be out of the big guy's system, so you might want to really prolong the introductions and not let them play unless supervised. At nite, maybe separate them.

It took us about 2-3 weeks of slowly introducing Charlie to Ling (a few days for the dog) - Charlie did not have total freedom for a few weeks unless we supervised the cats together.

lemasa82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! Too bad I didn't know this beforehand. I feel so bad for my kitties. I guess that was Percy's way of telling Dippy to stop sleeping on the bed with me huh... This is going to be really difficult because the cats already know the house and are used to it... What do I do about interaction with the cat that is in the room at the time? I know it isn't healthy for them to not have human interaction, but would two days at a time really make much of a difference? Oh, and how long of an interval do I let them out to be around eachother? This is really helpful, I just joined this forum a few hours ago and am learning a lot already!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would let them together but only under supervision when you were home - and at nite separate them.

You might not have to do it too long.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lemasa82

Great! This is going to be really difficult because the cats already know the house and are used to it... What do I do about interaction with the cat that is in the room at the time? I know it isn't healthy for them to not have human interaction, but would two days at a time really make much of a difference? Oh, and how long of an interval do I let them out to be around eachother? This is really helpful, I just joined this forum a few hours ago and am learning a lot already!
Hi & welcome to TCS!
I know it sounds like a pain in the butt to keep them separated, but it is totally worth it! Even if the only place to keep them separated is to keep one in the bathroom, you should do it. Make sure they have food, water, litter, and something to sleep on (especially if in a bathroom). GoldenKitty is right, they should both be neutered as soon as possible.

As far as how long they should be allowed to interact is up to them. As long as they can be peaceable, it's fine, but when they get aggressive, separate them...don't let it escalate.

Make sure to spend lots of time with both of them, even if they are segregated. They really do need to spend lots of time with you.

It can be done...when I first got JinJin (in my sig), she was a pregnant, flea-ridden feral. Because I couldn't effectively treat her fleas until the kittens were old enough, and I had another feral boy that I was socializing in the main part of the house, I kept her and five kittens in my bathroom for over a month!

Good luck!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used a product called Nok-Out or Nokout on my mattress and sofa. For the sofa I rented (and eventually bought) an upholstry cleaner from the supermarket. I filled the machine with Nokout. My sofa smells like new now. It's really quite incredible how well Nokout worked (plus in supposedly environmentally friendly). Mattress is fine to.
Clean the smell out as soon as possible (don't use bleach).
http://www.nokout.com/
I would keep the door to your bedroom closed when your not there for the next while to avoid a habit of peeing there. Another option is to buy a big puppy training disposable pad at Petsmart to put on the bed when you're not in it. You could also try the sofa scram mat (you'd probably need two). I posted a link in behaviour forum about this product (I have a love/hate relationship with it).
I think it's okay for the kitties to fight a bit when they meet, as long as no blood is drawn. It helps your older cat establish a relationship and hierarchy with the newbie. Mine play fight all the time. Fred used to mount Nermal and still tries to. Once Nermal grew big enough, he would take none of it.
I think neutering will help and also keeping them apart for a few days. Let them sniff each other under a closed door. I did this at first and Fred couldn't wait to meet Nermal. Despite some bullying on fred's part, they became fast pals.

lemasa82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow, thank you so much. That sounds so much more doable than what I was beginning to do. The kitties get along fine when I am watching and they play fight a lot, sometimes with Percy mounting Dippy, but Dippy just submits now. I will stomp my foot if I see it, and Percy runs. They sleep together and often look like they are hugging, with Dippy as the hugger and Percy as the huggee, so he must not be *too* scared of the big guy. I have begun to let Percy outside some, hoping that he may find what he is looking for during the time that it takes for me to scrape up the $$ to get him neutered.

Sometimes when I am going out I will put one in the basement and shut the door, or stick one in a room, same with at bed time. I have also been keeping my bedroom door shut when I am not in it. The boys seem to be ok now and I just keep a good watch on them. The hardest part in separating them is that the kids love to play with the cats and they are young so I don't want to isolate the children too just because they each want to play with a different animal. I think Percy has had a change of heart toward Dippy, because I have started to go past the kitten sometimes and make a beeline for him instead. He seems a bit in shock from all of my pampering, and possibly a little scared :p

I will NOT give up because I love both of my kitties very much. Someone told me just to give one away, but not only would that deflect my whole reasoning in getting the second cat (a companion for the first cat while I am out), but I love them like I love my children, and no one would dare tell me to give one of THEM away!!! Besides, the cats are cheaper to feed and easier to take care of, haha, when they aren't peeing on my bed.

Quick question though, why shouldn't I use bleach on the pee sheets? It's the peroxide kind, not the chlorine. Thanks!!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have begun to let Percy outside some, hoping that he may find what he is looking for during the time that it takes for me to scrape up the $$ to get him neutered.
Hi
Welcome!

Please do not let Percy outside to mate. This creates unwanted kittens - thousands of them. In addition, Percy will fight with other males to defend what he sees as his territory. Fighting not only leads to injuries (very expensive and painful) but he can also get a host of diseases from fighting - some of which there are no vaccinations for. Cats won't stop once they have mated, they are not "satisfied". They just keep going.

So glad you want to do the right thing by your little guys! If you have pics, post em

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sometimes with Percy mounting Dippy, but Dippy just submits now. I will stomp my foot if I see it, and Percy runs.
That is what this is, dominance. It is not sexual in thei situation. He is doing this because he isn't neutered, but many cats will do this anyways to show dominance over the other one.

I have begun to let Percy outside some, hoping that he may find what he is looking for during the time that it takes for me to scrape up the $$ to get him neutered.
NO!!

He will just get other cats pregnant, get into fights with other intact males, pick up diseases like Leukemia and AIDS!! This is NOT the solution!
I am glad you are going to get them done though. Males can become mature and get females pregnant as young as 4-5 months old, so at 7 he is perfectly capable of intact male tom cat behaviors!

Good luck! Look around for low cost clinics if money is a problem.