New Cat

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a new cat from the shelter. He is a sweet cat. I have two questions.

1) He walks around the house meowing at times. Is he stressed and/or getting used to his new home?

2) Why do cats kneed? He is constantly kneeding (me, his bed, etc.). It's pretty cute, but I was just curiuos why they do this. I have had cats that do this before, but he does it almost all of the time!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's just adjusting to being in a big new environment, without hearing the other cats (friends) at the shelter, so is calling for them, but will get over it (ever consider getting another one?). The kneading (like bread making kneading) is what kittens do to their mothers to stimulate milk. I wouldn't actually give him any, because unless it's cat milk it's not really good for them, but be sure he is getting enough food (kittens need more, more often that adults).

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

He's just adjusting to being in a big new environment, without hearing the other cats (friends) at the shelter, so is calling for them, but will get over it (ever consider getting another one?). The kneading (like bread making kneading) is what kittens do to their mothers to stimulate milk. I wouldn't actually give him any, because unless it's cat milk it's not really good for them, but be sure he is getting enough food (kittens need more, more often that adults).
I agree 100% on what Larke told you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my cats are nearly four and I have had them since they were kittens and they will still knead. One more so than the other one. It makes me keep their claws clipped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love to have another one, but my husband is allergic to cats. He can tolerate one, but getting any more is pushing it.

He does have enough food. He is not eating much, but he is eating some, and I think that is also a matter of him getting used to his new environment.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Larke

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Larke - have considered getting a little buddy for your new cat to have as a companion? Two cats are really not that much more work. As to kneading - I have heard that the kneading can be a sign on contentment
or a sign of nervousness ( I have heard that purring can also be because of contentment or fear)

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

Well my cat still does that now and he is a year old!!! It is quite sweet but I also unable to get another one although working on that with hubby. Might just get one cos once it here im sure hubby wont be able to resist!!

Claire
xx