Dying my hair black

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I came across the red head thread when i did my hair a few hours ago, so i thought i'd add to the 'my hair has been coloured' day lol. I've been dying it black for a few years and trying to get my hair really long. I have really thick, curly hair and the hair strands themselves are also thicker than normal. I haven't done my hair in about 6 months and actually tried going lighter, but sun-in doesn't work on black dyed hair lol. Only prob is that i still have some colour on my neck and ears, and im hoping tomorrows shower will get it off before i go out *eeks*

Just thought i'd share
oh and i painted my fingernails and toenails black while the colour set

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had luck with using rubbing alcohol to scrub dye off skin. Though that was only semi permanent veggie dye.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've dyed black in the past, but I go for the "no way is that natural" Blue-black.
I'm lucky in that I have a medium complexion, so I can get away with pretty much any color.

So where are your pics?

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do the blackest black with electric blue highlights. I have a girlfriend do the black and the bleaching at her salon but I do the blue at home. I have to do it once a week to keep it blue or it fades to this weird green, my hair starts to look like a Tahitian ocean, cool, but not what I want. Last time I did it I turned my whole bathroom blue, th eshower, sink, areas of the floor, everything.

I discovered 91% alcohol will remove any stain from anything. Works like a charm. It has to be 91% anything less wont work, it burns but it works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've had luck with using rubbing alcohol to scrub dye off skin. Though that was only semi permanent veggie dye.
This is a permenant Loreal dye. I usually colour 2 days before i go out anywhere to give the colour time to get washed from my scalp and look more natural. But ive been putting it off and desperately wanted to get it done. So ive only given myself half a day. Whoops

Originally Posted by Arlyn

I've dyed black in the past, but I go for the "no way is that natural" Blue-black.
I'm lucky in that I have a medium complexion, so I can get away with pretty much any color.

So where are your pics?
Lol, i just used blue-black :p but my hair is naturally brown and i can get away with it because ive been dying it for ages lol.

Erm pics....well i cant very well show you pics of my blue neck :p

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe I haven't gone black since my 16 year old niece was just a baby.

Now I'll have to see if I can find one of the photos to scan, and post it with one of me with my normal hair.
It's such a huge difference.
Been platinum blonde a few times too, but it only looks good on me when my hair is very short, easier to keep up the roots.

As for the dye on your skin, as harsh as it sounds, I use my fingernail brush and a good facial scrub to get it off in the shower.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss my black hair
I decided time for red for a little bit, i went to a solan and got my hair stripped once and well it ruined my hair (they left me under to long adn my head started burning
so I will do bleach at my house
and I like to change often and everything but I so miss my black hair I am a natural blonde but I am mostly italian with alot of other things in there and well I have dark eyebrows
which i cant figure out at all
I miss my hair black
all these hair dye threads keep reminding me that I need to dye my hair...imma have to do a poll for the wedding I will need to dye it before May 12
and I am in the wedding so its gonna be between red and black with a purple/blue dress
hmmm...highlights

but
congrats on ur new hari color, I cant wait to see pics of how it turned out
!!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just talked with my girlfriend, she informed me that the best and sure fire way to get black dye off skin is cigarett ash. It is an old school method, from way back when smoking was okay anywhere. You take ashes, make a paste with water, scrub it on and rince off. She said she uses it every once and a while when clients have dry skin and it soaks up color. I know it sound odd but apparently works.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

II have to do it once a week to keep it blue or it fades to this weird green, my hair starts to look like a Tahitian ocean, cool, but not what I want. Last time I did it I turned my whole bathroom blue, th eshower, sink, areas of the floor, everything.
I gave up on blue ages ago, I did not like fading to green.
There's still a small blue spot on the carpet where I dripped. To clean up the tub, sink, count... and mirror I used bleach and water. Kills the nose but it does work.

I did try black to cover up the faded blue green color. It does not look right on my skin tone (or lack there of) at all. I've given up bothering to dye my hair now, it's all grown out and is back to my rather boring dark blond/light brown.

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

This is a permenant Loreal dye. I usually colour 2 days before i go out anywhere to give the colour time to get washed from my scalp and look more natural. But ive been putting it off and desperately wanted to get it done. So ive only given myself half a day. Whoops
Scrub your scalp thoroughly with your nails (is that one reason you painted them black?
), it helps get some of it out. I can't remember if I used alcohol when I went with black. I think I might have and it was loreal dye as well. Salon supply though, not store box.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to dye in bright, colors, obviously not natural tones.
Fuschia, bright blue, apple green, purple.
My niece was a toddler when I was doing it.
I was not her Aunt according to her, I was her Fairy Godmother

When my hair was green I had it in dreadlocks.
I went with a friend to a Jerry Garcia memeorial service.....the hippies were scaring me the way they were eyeing my hair.
I did away with the dreads the following week.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
poo sticks my bateries are dead and they take 12 hours to charge!!! i kept pressing the button on the cam and it kept turning off on me! im SOOO sick of charging them, they aren't cheap and they take forever!!!

WARNING: NO MAKE-UP AND JUST WOKE UP!!
this is my hair before the colour, you can see how thick it is and its grown out probably 3 or 4 inches. Now imagine a black blue sexy colour and patches of colour on my skin and a blue scalp that are not so sexy
and me wearing makeup!!!

Well i needed to add a recent pic anyway, ill charge my batteries

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

I just talked with my girlfriend, she informed me that the best and sure fire way to get black dye off skin is cigarett ash. It is an old school method, from way back when smoking was okay anywhere. You take ashes, make a paste with water, scrub it on and rince off. She said she uses it every once and a while when clients have dry skin and it soaks up color. I know it sound odd but apparently works.
Um...no one in this house or Tristans house smokes

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dyed my hair black once a few years ago. It actually didn't look too bad, I got lots of compliments on it. But I've gone back to my natural hair color. I'm too lazy to be dying my hair all the time.