Shoulder Pain.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
January 2006 I was told that I had a rotators cuff injury. I went on medications that never worked. Around summer time I think it healed, but I retore it late summer.

It's been doing really well until this past Friday.
It was a bit sore.. not bad.
But Saturday is was really sore. I spent all day at the rescue, and whether it was because I had alot to do that day, and over did myself, maybe retore it again, I'm not sure.

But today is horrible.

I went to the rescue this morning, got home and went back to bed instead of tkaing a shower like I normally would do. Woke up and went online. Shoulder was sore, not too bad.. it's always best after I just wake up. I went to rub it when I noticed how swollen and hard it was.
It's not visably swollen, but you can tell by touch it is.

I had my mum rub it with some Icy Hot stuff, it hurt so bad that I had to hold back tears.

I don't want to go back to the Drs unless I absolutely have to. There is no Walk-in Clinic here, and I don't feel like waiting in the ER for hours unless I can't take it anymore.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to help relieve the pain? Advils don't work for me, and I can't think of anything.
Someone told me to let the hot hot water in a shower to run over it for a few minutes. I did that this evening.. but it made no difference. And showering and washing my hair only made it worse I think.

I'm thinking aobut buying a sling and using that to remind me (and other people) that I can't use that arm.. but I don't know if it's worth it? Would not using it for a week or so help?

Any help is appreciated.

krispie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a sling or know how to wrap your shoulder with an ace bandage, that may help. If you do indeed have tear in your rotator cuff, then ice is what should be using, not heat. You need to get the inflammation down( it won't be comfortable though
). The less stress you can put on it( no lifting or raising your arm past 45 degrees) will give it time to heal, so that's why a sling or something is a helpful reminder not to use it. As someone who has torn her rotator cuff in two places 3 times and refuses to have surgery, I feel your pain!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krispie

If you have a sling or know how to wrap your shoulder with an ace bandage, that may help. If you do indeed have tear in your rotator cuff, then ice is what should be using, not heat. You need to get the inflammation down( it won't be comfortable though
). The less stress you can put on it( no lifting or raising your arm past 45 degrees) will give it time to heal, so that's why a sling or something is a helpful reminder not to use it. As someone who has torn her rotator cuff in two places 3 times and refuses to have surgery, I feel your pain!
Exactly - can you take NSAIDs? That would be best, plus immobilizing that arm. But your profile says you're 19. I imagine that there will be a surgery in your future, sorry. Someone like me, at the age of 44, would expect shoulder problems eventually, but it sounds to me like you're on the "fast track".

I know it sounds cliche...but you should probably go to the Dr., and do some physical therapy. (I truly know how totally sucky this is, because I'm going through the same thing with my hip.) Hugs - Kim.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good suggestions so far. Just want to add that for OTC pain meds you need to be careful with acetaminophen, it is toxic at lower levels then aspirin or ibuprofen and has less anti-inflammatory properties then other NSAIDS.

I don't use acetaminophen for soreness type pains at all, it's useless. Probably why the darvocets the doc gave me did nothing at all for my hip.

No matter how much you hate it, consider making an appointment to see a doctor, this won't just go away. Had I went sooner, when I was a teen or younger, I probably wouldn't have the problems I do now.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
The sling is a good idea to give yourself a rest, but going to the doc should be done soon as well. I developed rsi in my thumb about 4 months ago, and i keep doing stuff, txt messaging etc and i keep forgetting to put something over it to give it a rest, so ive made it worse. Like everyone has said, make an appointment as soon as you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whats NSAIDs?

The meds the Dr had me on back in Jan06 was Naproxen. Went on it again late summer. I know the Naproxen is an anti-inflammitory.

I was told to do Physio... but I can't afford it. I don't have a job due to the on and offness of the shoulder, and the difficulties of finding a job around here that doesn't require me lifting alot of weight.
And my mum is on Welfare waiting for disability. They turned her down so she has to apeal or whatever.

Thanks guys.

I know surgery was there.. and I've been trying my best to avoid it. But I don't know. :\\

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Whats NSAIDs?

The meds the Dr had me on back in Jan06 was Naproxen. Went on it again late summer. I know the Naproxen is an anti-inflammitory.

I was told to do Physio... but I can't afford it. I don't have a job due to the on and offness of the shoulder, and the difficulties of finding a job around here that doesn't require me lifting alot of weight.
And my mum is on Welfare waiting for disability. They turned her down so she has to apeal or whatever.

Thanks guys.

I know surgery was there.. and I've been trying my best to avoid it. But I don't know. :\\
Oh, sorry. Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. Ibuprofen, aspirin, aleve, etc. Naproxen is one.