Originally Posted by Namrah
Just to follow up on my postings, the vet e-mailed me the numbers for Mali's recent blood-work (Tuesday):
She is on Ursodial til I talk to her specialist - her liver crashed a few months ago but has been solid for a month now, so we're weaning her off the liver meds and getting her on more kidney support.
Just reading this email exhausts me, and the numbers aren't new, Mali has had problems for 2 years now, though her diagnosis is more recent.
Is my vet accurate in that this may not be CRF yet, but just kidney insufficiency? Am I just best to wait til I get to Oregon and get other opinions?
Thank you again to everyone for your comments. Mali's specialist has said it's renal failure; it's an interesting situation - my vet, whom I love, is an eternal optimist - the specialist is a pessimist. The specialist has said I have a few months, 1-2 years maximum with Mali; whereas my vet tries to keep things hopeful.
But given the reading I've done, my specialists comments (which matches the reading, other than the maximum timeframes) and information presented here - I sometimes wonder if my vet is not just trying to keep me going, but is just under-experienced with this.
Anyhow, they're not opened on the weekend, so on Monday I will call and fill in the missing values. I was told her phosphorous is totally normal, but not given a number, so I don't know if it's under 4. Those other values I am not sure of either, and those numbers will help ascertain if she is suffering other side effects.
If I may pose another question - this is partially stress on my part. Mali has blood work coming up in 2 weeks due to this recent rise in her lab values, and testing a new medication. I am wondering how critical her situation is right now. I want to get a second opinion on her, get her to another doctor - and I have to, because of the cross-country move. That happens in a month; am I safe in attempting to stabilize her now and work on more maintenance changes after the move, with a new vet and specialist? Obviously she's still under the care of my current vet, and we're trying to get those values down.
I have one other question - can Mali survive this move? The move involves an overnight in NY after a 3 hour drive to NY. Then the next morning around 6am she and my other cat will be put into separate carriers, and a friend and I will fly with them out to Portland - in the cabin, of course. We'll land and I'll go get the keys for my apartment and let them go into the master bath, with water and a litter-box, then feed them when things have settled down a bit, as well as SubQ fluids. It is possible that the cats will be carrierd for up to 12 hours, and a minimum of 10. Is this a crazy thing to do with a CRF cat that is relapsing with high lab numbers? Can she survive this kind of trip, or am I putting her through this stress only to watch the inevitable decline after?
I do not want to give up on her - and to anyone watching, she looks and acts like a perfect, healthy bengal. But I don't want to stress her out for two days when it's impossible to get through this. I don't know what the other options are - the move is not really optional for me.
I've read the article on managing CRF cats on the plane - she doesn't urinate overly often yet so I'm not worried about a mess. I am worried about her stress and if she can survive this trip, recover and thrive on the other end; or if I am putting her through this for even more suffering where there's no hope of getting her stabilized on the other end. I am utterly committed to trying if it's not cruel to do so.