For All Us Redheads!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well you know the old saying?
beat like a red headed step child? well maybe they just used to the pain.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Huh, that's interesting. I wonder why that's so? And it's not true for redhead men. We always knew that women are tougher anyway!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

That's terrible! I've never heard that saying before.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

really? hmm, that has been around since i was a kid. I remember playing games with kids my age, and when you get beat really bad. They would ha, beat you like a red headed step child. i wonder if its just in this part of the country

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeap! I've heard it quite a bit

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder why that's so? And it's not true for redhead men. We always knew that women are tougher anyway!

It's just a joke..

really? hmm, that has been around since i was a kid. I remember playing games with kids my age, and when you get beat really bad. They would ha, beat you like a red headed step child. i wonder if its just in this part of the country
I'm from Ky and heard it all my life......

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing new, I always knew we were tough!

Being a red-head and a step child, that was a staple around my house!!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from MIssouri and othr parts and heard it alot. Three of the 5 kids in my family are redheads. It wasn't until I grew up that I learned it is more of a slur.
Here is a page that has several different ideas of where it comes from.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did...ed_stepchild'_come_from_and_what_does_it_mean

I texted this info-about redheads bearing more pain-to my sister. She said "I believe it" LOL. We're both redheads. Actually, mine has lots of silver now

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Red head here. I do have a high tolerance for pain. Had an ectopic pregnancy once and while most women would be wheeled into an emergency room right about the time their tube burst, I was taking care of my father who just had surgery. I made it to surgery 6 weeks later, not because of the pain, but because of the massive bleeding.

I've also found out recently that we have a higher tolerance to pain medications than other people. Every time I have dental work, it takes an incredible amount of medicine to numb my mouth. At the last visit, the tech told me about a new study where they found redheads have higher tolerance levels.

When I had the ectopic pregnancy years ago, I was finally admitted to a hospital for surgery. A nurse gave me a pre-surgery prep shot, then put me on a gurney and told me to stay there until they wheeled me in to the operating room. About 30 minutes later, I had to visit the facilities, so I hopped off the gurney and went to the bathroom. On the way out, a nurse walks in, looks at me and freaks out. She asks if they had given me my shot yet. I say yes, about 30 minutes ago. She runs up to me, grabs my arm and practically carries me back to the gurney where she put me back on it, strapped me in and put up the rails. I asked her why she did that and she told me I should be nearly passed out from the shot. I couldn't even feel it's effects. When they gave me the gas to put me under, they asked me to count down from 100. I made it to 92 - they told me most people don't make it past 99. They told me I woke up in surgery which I don't remember, then I woke up as they were wheeling me out of the operating room.

So while we might have a high threshold for pain, we also have a high tolerance for pain medicine. If you're really ill, it's not a good thing. People told me after the ectopic that I could have easily died. But I bit my lip and dealt with it cause I could.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about surgery but at the dentist, I make them give me double shots to begin with. Then inject more if needed. They are always surprised at how much it takes to numb me. Think they probably charge extra for it, too.
I had one dentist who treated me like I was faking it. Had to test me by poking and prodding the tooth over and over to make sure I could still feel it. THAT hurt! Never went back to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Red head here. I do have a high tolerance for pain. Had an ectopic pregnancy once and while most women would be wheeled into an emergency room right about the time their tube burst, I was taking care of my father who just had surgery. I made it to surgery 6 weeks later, not because of the pain, but because of the massive bleeding.

I've also found out recently that we have a higher tolerance to pain medications than other people. Every time I have dental work, it takes an incredible amount of medicine to numb my mouth. At the last visit, the tech told me about a new study where they found redheads have higher tolerance levels.

When I had the ectopic pregnancy years ago, I was finally admitted to a hospital for surgery. A nurse gave me a pre-surgery prep shot, then put me on a gurney and told me to stay there until they wheeled me in to the operating room. About 30 minutes later, I had to visit the facilities, so I hopped off the gurney and went to the bathroom. On the way out, a nurse walks in, looks at me and freaks out. She asks if they had given me my shot yet. I say yes, about 30 minutes ago. She runs up to me, grabs my arm and practically carries me back to the gurney where she put me back on it, strapped me in and put up the rails. I asked her why she did that and she told me I should be nearly passed out from the shot. I couldn't even feel it's effects. When they gave me the gas to put me under, they asked me to count down from 100. I made it to 92 - they told me most people don't make it past 99. They told me I woke up in surgery which I don't remember, then I woke up as they were wheeling me out of the operating room.

So while we might have a high threshold for pain, we also have a high tolerance for pain medicine. If you're really ill, it's not a good thing. People told me after the ectopic that I could have easily died. But I bit my lip and dealt with it cause I could.
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I don't know about surgery but at the dentist, I make them give me double shots to begin with. Then inject more if needed. They are always surprised at how much it takes to numb me. Think they probably charge extra for it, too.
I had one dentist who treated me like I was faking it. Had to test me by poking and prodding the tooth over and over to make sure I could still feel it. THAT hurt! Never went back to him.
Same here!
I had to have 38 shots of novacaine at the dentist once..

Also, when I had my son, I was in labor for 25 hours. The nurse looked at me around hour 21 and said "Aren't you glad you got the meds to help ease the pain?"
I looked at her and said "What Meds?" SHe was
Shocked!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Does that apply to me, an artificial redhead?

I'm actually trying to get my hair back to its natural color and the red is STILL THERE.

I got called Firecracker in the store just last month. I was
and flicked the guy off.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my daughter, I had 40 hours of labor. (Hah, and look how she repays me...but that's another thread, LOL.) I totally forgot that I could ask for pain meds. It never occurred to me! (I'm a satellite member of the club - strawberry blonde.)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I got called Firecracker in the store just last month. I was
and flicked the guy off.
Welcome to our worlds!! The most annoying jokes were when we were young and we were told daily that our brains must be rusty.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Welcome to our worlds!! The most annoying jokes were when we were young and we were told daily that our brains must be rusty.
Or even worse with questions about your carpet and curtains.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Red heads are awesome.

(Except that I have to stockpile sunscreen and my coworkers call me a "ginger" lol)

There's all kinds of mythology surronding being a redhead. It's kinna cool if you google it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

DH's old roommate used to say that one all the time. They are both red-heads, and step-children!

DH can't stand the one where people go 'Guess what kind of gum I've got!?!' (Big Red)

I love my red-head....I want a little red-headed boy someday!

I'm going to e-mail that article to my MIL and SIL later to see what they think. I know SIL had epidurals for both my niece and nephew but I'm not sure 'when' and all that stuff.