Shaving question

alli_kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 yr old cat has recently come into this new adult coat I am guessing. He was slow to mature and his medium length hair is now official longhair. He won't tolerate brushing well but I try. However for the first time in 5 yrs he has mats. I try to cut out the ones not close to the skin but there are a few that are. I have decided to get him shaved for the summer as it will probably be cooler for him and we can start new and I can try to get him used to more frequest brushing. The only issue is I fear the noise will terrify him. He is scared of my hair dryer, crinkly plastic bags, vacuum etc. I am sure the clipper will freak him out! Would he need to be sedated? Is that reasonably safe? DO I jsut go to a grooming place? It seems so many in my area are DOG groomers that groom cats too but I am afriad the will have problems with my scardy cat! Any leads would be great or if you live in the denver, co area suggestible locations would help too. I want him to be happy and comfortable. I feel aweful that he got mats. I am guilty of not grooming him as much as I should, I guess after 5 years and no problems I thought this wouldn't happen. Thanks so much.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest calling your vet to see if they might offer a service like this (shaving). I know my vet does. I haven't had to have that done, but I would be more comfortable having it done @ the vet.

Yes, I think in some cases they use some sedation.

My longhaired cat is very skittish with strangers, but she let the vet shave her neck one time when she had a wound there that wasn't healing well. I was surprised. Of course that was just her neck.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all throw away the brush. Get yourself some combs - medium toothed and fine toothed for grooming longhairs. Brushes do not get to the skin - you need to be using combs.

Shaving won't really make the cat any cooler. But if you have a lot of mats now, you'll have to shave down and regrow the coat. As its growing out, work on a routine grooming session with the combs so that when its full again, your cat will be ok with things.

The only reason you see some persians shaved down to a lion cut is that the breeders don't have the time to maintain coats on their cats if they are not being shown (usually in the summer).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alli_kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't even think of the vet silly me! Thanks for the tips guys! I've only had short haired cats so I didn't know a brush was a bad idea! I will get a comb tonight. The first 4 years had me fooled that I had the somewhat longhaired kitty that wasn't high maintence grooming! He sure proved me wrong! I will probably still get him shaved so we can start anew and not have to go through me trying to comb out mats on a kitty who's never been combed for long periods of time. I will try to get him used to the comb though as it grows in! Any ideas on the cost? Vet is closed now so can't call till tommorow. Since it may be a cause for sedation it would be pricey i would imagine. Under 100 I hope!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alli_Kat

I didn't even think of the vet silly me! Thanks for the tips guys! I've only had short haired cats so I didn't know a brush was a bad idea! I will get a comb tonight. The first 4 years had me fooled that I had the somewhat longhaired kitty that wasn't high maintence grooming! He sure proved me wrong! I will probably still get him shaved so we can start anew and not have to go through me trying to comb out mats on a kitty who's never been combed for long periods of time. I will try to get him used to the comb though as it grows in! Any ideas on the cost? Vet is closed now so can't call till tommorow. Since it may be a cause for sedation it would be pricey i would imagine. Under 100 I hope!
Here is the steel comb I use. Persi never gets mats and never has had a hairball. I comb him every day VERY vigorously but as you can see, he is waiting to be brushed so he can get some of that POUNCE sitting by him. I got this comb at Petco and if you get this comb and use it EVERY day and get all parts of his body, I truly believe you will never have mats or hairballs again.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would consult your vet about it and get his/her advice. It's never a good idea to give a cat anesthetic unless absolutely necessary. And I would make sure to get someone who either only does cats or who had done a lot of cats. I'd stay away from chains like Petsmart. Usually our cats are much better for a professional groomer then they are for us. I once took in this really grumpy Persian I had who hissed and lunged at everything and everyone! I went to pick her up and the groomer kept telling me how she was such a good kitty. I mean, this woman just couldn't believe how well behaved and sweet this cat was. I was astounded! I even asked her several times if she was sure it was my cat.

Once your cat is mat free, a comb is in order. The one above, that is used on Persi is perfect. I use this same comb the most. (I also now use FURminator about once a week.)

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I would suggest calling your vet too, but where in the Denver area do you live? I work at a vet in Arvada, CO and we offer grooming for kitties, but there are also quite a few traveling groomers in the area that come to your house, that may be less stressfull for your kitty as well. I looked into it a few years ago and it was sort of expensive, but it might be worth it depending on how matted your kitty is. Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alli_kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he's not terribly matted. I got a steel comb and have been introducing him to it and he tolerates it a ton more than the brush. Almost been able to get the mats out so lets hope. I think there is maybe 4 total. Thanks for all the help guys. Going to try to groom him first then try a groomer. Thanks so much! I think I overeacted a bit because it jsut seemed so sudden!