My cats aren't too bad on halloween. Peppurr is freaked of loud noises and strangers, so he'll be kept in my bedroom with some food, water and light music. 3 of my cats haven't had a halloween yet so I think I'll also put them into rooms. Mimi and Vader are pretty good. My dog hates the firecrackers! Twinkles loves to lay outside on the front lawn in fall. Nothing bothers her and she never leaves my yard.
Some really great tips I found at Halloween HintsHalloween HazardsProtect your petsThings to Watch For
Halloween is a fun time for kids and many adults, but can be a frightening and stressful time for your pets. As a pet owner, you know your pet best, but here are some points to consider for your pet's safety.Continual doorbell ringing
and people at the door (in costume, no less!) can be stressful for a pet. Some pets may experience stress-related diarrhea or potentially injure themselves if crated or otherwise contained. Keep your pet in a quiet and safe place on Halloween.
Watch your pet around strangers in costume
-- some animals may become unexpectedly aggressive or fearful, even normally friendly pets.Candles
and Jack-o'-lanterns within a pet's range are a fire hazard.Candy
- many pets have a sweet tooth. General overindulgence, chocolate, and plastic/cardboard candy-filled toys can cause added problems if ingested.Keep your pets indoors
on Halloween night, especially black cats. Animals are at risk for cruel treatment by some Halloween pranksters. Many adoption agencies and humane societies will not
allow adoption of black cats around Halloween for this reason.Look at all of that candy!
For many people, Halloween = candy. Please warn children not
to share their goodies with the family pet.Chocolate is toxic
to pets. Granted, a 50 pound dog would have to eat about 50 ounces of milk chocolate (but only 5 ounces of baking chocolate) for a toxic dose, but much smaller amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Signs of chocolate toxicity include tremors, nervousness, vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, and in severe cases, seizures and death. If you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate, consult your veterinarian.
Other candies, such as lollipops and those with plastic components, pose a danger if ingested
. Lollipop sticks and plastic parts can cause intestinal obstruction and potentially rupture the intestines, which is a life-threatening emergency.He looks so cute in his little red suit...
Sometimes pet owners can't resist dressing up their pets in costume for halloween and other holidays. While this may be "cute" for photos, caution is advised for the costume-wearing pets. A pet in costume should NEVER be left alone and unsupervised.
Tight elastics on the costumes can get lost in the pet's hair, potentially causing owners to overlook them, leading to swelling and pain in the area of the elastic.
Some pets, if left alone in costume, may chew it up and ingest it. This could cause intestinal obstruction if more than small shreds of material are consumed.
If the costumed pet escapes or is frightened away, the costume could entangle the pet on trees, fences, etc.Play it safe and have fun
With a little caution and some common sense, Halloween can be a fun time for kids and pets alike. If any acts of animal cruelty are seen or suspected, please call your local shelter or animal authorities. Happy and safe Halloween to everyone.