Baby Food as a Substitute?

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I heard that baby food - meat - would be a substitute for wet food.
Has anyone else heard this?? My mother's friend that owns cats with some digestive troubles brought this up as a possible solution for us now that there is this recall.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as long as it doesn't have garlic listed in the ingredients, it makes for a good treat, but not as a balanced diet for a cat for any length of time. I find that baby food can give kitty's the runs, and some tummy upset. Have you checked into what other foods that aren't on the recall list your cats can eat? The Meow Mix pouches are inexpensive, and actually really good, believe it or not. My kitties get these now and again, and LOVE them. They contain no wheat gluten, or by-products. Would make for a good substitute temporarily, until we all get the green light to resume our normal food for our cats.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fed a teaspoon to Scully as a treat when he gets really bad for mooching food.

# Pet parents can substitute the impacted foods with any dry food from the same brand or use alternative canned or foil pouched wet foods such as: Pedigree, Pro Plan, Mighty Dog cans, Cesar and Alpo for dogs, and Friskees, Fancy Feast, Pro Plan and Whiskas for cats.
# PetSmart will take back any food a customer brings in to return. All impacted SKUs will be pulled from PetSmart shelves as soon as they are identified.
I would guess that as petsmart are saying it will make an ok substitute, that these foods are ok to feed until you hear otherwise on the other foods.

You can also take your affected food to Petsmart for a refund/exchange for new food

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

The Meow Mix pouches are inexpensive, and actually really good, believe it or not. My kitties get these now and again, and LOVE them. They contain no wheat gluten, or by-products. Would make for a good substitute temporarily, until we all get the green light to resume our normal food for our cats.
watch the labels though. 2 of the meow mix flavors my guys like have wheat gluten in them. they are off the menu until this is all sorted out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give my kitty about 1/4 t baby food twice a day so she'll take her medicine. I mix it with a little bit of pumpkin, too. I don't think I would do this as a main meal, though.

Stephanie

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might Dog was also on the recall list (not that anyone would feed it to a cat)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
know that some of the Fancy Feast varieties do have wheat gluten..i.e. the flaked tuna and mackeral, chicken and salmon do...so, just check all labels of any food, if you wish to avoid wheat gluten for now.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nellers

I heard that baby food - meat - would be a substitute for wet food.
Has anyone else heard this?? My mother's friend that owns cats with some digestive troubles brought this up as a possible solution for us now that there is this recall.
I would be worried that if fed long term it wouldn't contain the right balance of vitamins & minerals (and especially taurine) that a cat needs to stay healthy. As I understand it, it is ok in an emergency for a sick cat that is having trouble eating (ie. anything they will eat is better than nothing) as long as it is plain meat with no onion or garlic, but I would be concerned that it wouldn't provide a fully balanced diet long-term. Correct me if I'm wrong!

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only feed baby food to my kitties as treats but not as their main diet. There are still canned food out there not made by Menu Foods. There is a thread that sharky created and I have added additional food not connected to Menu Foods. Check there.

catamethyst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what a vet tech told baby food has lot moisture in, which helps if the cat is dryhated. (sorry for spelling) it also helps a cat gain weight. It stinks. So the cat will be like.