Anyone work in a vets office?

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am currently enrolled in school to get my degree as a veterinary technician. In the meantime I am attempting to find a job in a veterinary clinic as a helper. I rarely see clinics hiring though there are quite a few in my area. Does anyone have advice on a good way to go about trying to get employed in a clinic? I know its kind of a vague question, but its worth a shot! Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
volunteer first maybe? I am in vet assistant school and we have a 3 month externship to do next quarter, in hopes of being hired at the clinic we choose. I will be working in a shelter though, but still, majority of the people in the program are planning to actually be vet assistants workingin a vet office. I have no intention of doing that, but same thing applies.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artharitis

I am currently enrolled in school to get my degree as a veterinary technician. In the meantime I am attempting to find a job in a veterinary clinic as a helper. I rarely see clinics hiring though there are quite a few in my area. Does anyone have advice on a good way to go about trying to get employed in a clinic? I know its kind of a vague question, but its worth a shot! Thanks!
I was in the same predicament once. I'm also currently in school on my way to get my degree. And like you I also wanted to work at a clinic while I was in school. Definitely volunteer first. If they have any openings for volunteers they will gladly accept your help. Ask lots of questions and you will learn a lot. After you have been there for a few months doing volunteer work and most of the people that work there know you, put in another application for employment and you will almost definitely get an interview and possibly a job.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a vet tech at a busy 5 doctor practice and I never went to school. I started out by applying for a job even as kennel help-fortunatly for me they needed a tech more so they trained me on the job. In most cases this won't happen, but I would recommend volunteering at the clinic or even the local shelters and then work your way up. Be persistant-keep bugging them to let you help whenever necessary and remember someone always has to start at the bottom, but if patient enough you can work your way to the top. Here in CO, we have soo many clinics and specialty hospitals that there is always somewhere to go, but keep looking and the right thing will come along for you! Good luck and have fun working with the animals!