Nutro question!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So...ok...I was going to change Ashie to Nutro, but DANG!!! A few things I am concerned about now.

#1....obviously this recall thing. That makes me reluctant to not to want to give ANYTHING from them.

#2...if this company is making Nutro and all this other store brand foods, does that mean that this food is, pretty much, the same?????

I remember the peanut butter recall we had with Peter Pan brand....and it was also the Walmart brand...so we've come to the conclusion that Walmart brand is the same as Peter Pan!!! LOL! So now I am wondering about this cat food.

Thoughts?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wondered that also. I mostly feed Nutro -- have I been paying 3X the price when Kroger brand food might be the same stuff?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

So...ok...I was going to change Ashie to Nutro, but DANG!!! A few things I am concerned about now.

#1....obviously this recall thing. That makes me reluctant to not to want to give ANYTHING from them.

#2...if this company is making Nutro and all this other store brand foods, does that mean that this food is, pretty much, the same?????

I remember the peanut butter recall we had with Peter Pan brand....and it was also the Walmart brand...so we've come to the conclusion that Walmart brand is the same as Peter Pan!!! LOL! So now I am wondering about this cat food.

Thoughts?
I too am worried about the recall .... I am not feeding any foods with WHEAT GLUTEN from any company.... My two who eat Nutro dry and will continue to do so since neither is allergic to it

No just that at some pt in a specific time period all these foods containing one of the same ingrediants( wheat gluten is suspected ) went thru two plants .... I dont quite understand how so many companies were using the same plant with in a short period of time and using the same supplier for ingrediants

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

I wondered that also. I mostly feed Nutro -- have I been paying 3X the price when Kroger brand food might be the same stuff?
read the Kroger label that will tell you it isnt the same....

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thoughts?
My thoughts on this are the same. I am switching my furbabies from EVO. I wanted to try Nutro, but with this recall, am going with California Natural.

Maybe staying away from giant pet food companies is a good thing?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thoughts?
On #2, I had the same thought - about the cat food and the peanut butter. But, Sharky is right about the cat food, the ingredients are different. As far as the peanut butter goes, I believe those 2 are different too. I've never checked the labels but I've tasted both and will stick with PP, well Jif for now
. The Walmart brand is dry and gritty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where you do get California Natural?

emhammer0506

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just because the food came from the same plant - it is not the same. Basically, the grocery stores and that - get the crap food and then the pet stores get the better food. I would say the better brands are Royal Canin, Eukaneuba, Iams - My cats like Purina Indoor formula (except it is mostly junk food)...

BTW: the recall was only wet food - which pets shouldn't be on because the dry food helps their teeth and are usually more nutritous for them.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Where you do get California Natural?
Wet or dry? Maybe you were talking to Sharky...but I get it at a local feed store (wet).

Originally Posted by emhammer0506

BTW: the recall was only wet food - which pets shouldn't be on because the dry food helps their teeth and are usually more nutritous for them.
I respectfully disagree with that, on all counts. Sorry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

Its usually sold in smaller pet stores, you can locate the one closest to you on natura website: http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=stores-tab

According to sharky, and other great experts on this forum, its a very simple wonderful food that contains only 5 ingredients and not many other additives.

HTH.
i do like it /.///

right now cal natural , felidea and solid gold are the wets being fed till this recall thing gets solved .... I do caution we may want to call and make sure these are made at plants owned by the food maker...

i get it at a small pet store or my vet I would love a feed store to carry it

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cats that eat dry food only tend to have a higher incidence of urinary problems, and the carbs in dry foods can lead to diabetes. The dry does not prevent tooth problems--most tooth-related issues are part genetics and part like of dental hygiene (i.e. not brushing the cat's teeth several times per week).

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just because the food came from the same plant - it is not the same. Basically, the grocery stores and that - get the crap food and then the pet stores get the better food. I would say the better brands are Royal Canin, Eukaneuba, Iams - My cats like Purina Indoor formula (except it is mostly junk food)...

actually. you will find alot of people will disagree with that statement. as well as alot of new scientific stuff to back it up. I feed my kits a mixed diet, dry an Canned as do alot of people here.

one big reason is water content.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I, too, am really starting to look differently on the wet/dry stuff. If you think about this.....in the wild, cats/tigers/etc...are eating meats (other animals) and this stuff is raw meat...certainly not dry like in a bag. If it were really bad for them, I wouldn't think it would be in their nature to eat it.

But ok....we eat cookies, fast food, etc and it is horrible for us!!!!! LOL! ((my DH made homemade cookies last night and I couldn't help myself!))

revherb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats Sassy & Sweetie have been eating Nutro Comlete Care Senior dry food as well as Friskies treats. Sassy has developed a Kidney problem they found blood as well as a rare protein. Both of these foods contain wheat gluten.

I switched them to Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover Soul & for Treats Pounce Moist Treats in the bottle. These were the only food & treats that I could find at pet supplies Plus that do not contain corn or wheat gluten.

When I contacted menu foods and explained what was going on she informed me that they have been hearing alot of similar stories involving dry food as well as treats, and that she believes that the recall will be expanded this week to include dry food & treats.

Tomorrow I will probably end up with about a $500 dollar vet bill if not more. After I get home my next call is going to be to a lawyer.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I also respectfully disagree as well. and i think you'll find many of us here know the draw backs of dry only.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by revherb

When I contacted menu foods and explained what was going on she informed me that they have been hearing alot of similar stories involving dry food as well as treats, and that she believes that the recall will be expanded this week to include dry food & treats.
this is what i feared - and i HOPE it is not the case.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh GAWD. More things to come? Great. And I thought that original recall list was long enough!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by revherb

My two cats Sassy & Sweetie have been eating Nutro Comlete Care Senior dry food as well as Friskies treats. Sassy has developed a Kidney problem they found blood as well as a rare protein. Both of these foods contain wheat gluten.

I switched them to Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover Soul & for Treats Pounce Moist Treats in the bottle. These were the only food & treats that I could find at pet supplies Plus that do not contain corn or wheat gluten.

Tomorrow I will probably end up with about a $500 dollar vet bill if not more. After I get home my next call is going to be to a lawyer.
neither of the dry s you mention have WHEAT OR WHEAT GLUTEN ... Only MAX contains wheat...

FYI kindey problems are common in cats over the age of 7 ....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

neither of the dry s you mention have WHEAT OR WHEAT GLUTEN ... Only MAX contains wet
So I should be concerned about the MAX roasted chix dry that I picked up for my detoxing kibble junkies, you think?

I don't feel too terribly confident about the small 3oz Gourmet Classic cans...but Petsmart wasn't interested in taking them back, just the pouches. I was told that the others "were fine". Of course I know that no one really knows at this point.