Senior Check-up

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In a couple of weeks fat Harriet is going to go in for a senior check up. What things to you recomend that she have done/looked at?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A full senior check-up should include bloodwork to check thyroid, liver, kidney and blood glucose values (usually there is a specific senior panel, but verify that it included T4 levels). It should have a physical exam to check for any abnormalities, including arthritis and dental problems. A urinalysis should also be done to check for signs of kidney problems, diabetes, or urinary tract infections. If the cat goes outside, FIV and FeLV tests might be recommended, along with a stool check to look for parasites.

I recommend getting copies of any test results each time so you can keep track of them. Keeping a record of your cat's weight is also helpful in looking for changes.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also second what Cloud-Shade recommends. I have 1 senior cat and had one that is now at the RB.

Also have them weight her and make a note of it and check the nails.

Good luck with your senior kitty.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fats McGee

In a couple of weeks fat
Harriet is going to go in for a senior check up.
What things to you recomend that she have done/looked at?
I have not heard this term before. That is why I am here on TCS, to learn. I assume it is something you do at a certain age. What age would that be? Thanks!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persi - it really does depend from person to person what they class as a senior cat, but it woudln't hurt to start from about the age of 9, as then you should hopefully have a baseline, which makes it easier to pick up on things. I have to say, senior checkups in the UK dont include urinalysis and a stool sample, maybe I should think about that for the girls checkups next year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ditto! Fat Harriet is about 12 (or will be in april) and I've only had her about 6 mos or so.

At the shelter I usually recomend to my adopters that senior kitties go for a check up every 6 months or so b/c things can go downhill so quickly when they get older. It's better to stay on top of things!

And with seniors I also encourage blood work at all of the checkups again, b/c of concerns of failing kidneys, thyroid, etc.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vets have a specific panel of values they call a 'Geriatric Panel'.........it's pretty much all-inclusive. You might ask if they have something like that? Even my younger kitties w/ no current health issues have the Geriatric Panel done 1x/year because it covers all bases.

I'd also agree with the suggestions to have a UA done, as well as check the kitty's gums & teeth, etc. Your vet will know the drill, but be sure to write down any specific concerns you might want to address as well.

Best of Luck and I hope everything comes back perfect for Harriett!