PLEASE HELP!! Kitten with Broken Tail.

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my 4.5 month old kitten just broke her tail. We had moved her climbing post onto the couch to vacuum. She climbed up on it and it fell off the couch before I could stop it. I think it landed on her tail. She started walking funny right away and is obviously in pain.

Now she's walking more normal, but rolling around. And her tail is drooping about 2 inches from her bum. We can feel a bump there.

My vet is closed today and I can't afford to take her to the emergency vet because my boyfriend lost his job yesterday and between that and other emergencies our savings are really small. I'm trying to find a vet that is open and that we can get her to. I feel like an awful cat-mom, but I'm really hoping it can wait until Monday when our vet can see her... Am I a horrible person?

I'm 99% sure it's a broken tail. Has anyone had this before? Please tell me what the vet did for your cat and what I can do for Pixel until she starts feeling better. Can I give her any pain medication?

I'm so terrified right now and I'm beating myself up for not knowing what to do for her. I've never had an injured animal before.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could tell you there was something you could do, but there isn't.
Tail injuries are much more serious than they appear and can affect muscles controlling urination and defecation.
Your kitten, really, truly needs a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the fast reply and your input. My boyfriend is rushing home right now and we are going to figure out what to do.

She's lying quietly on our bed right now, but her breathing seems fast. Also, she still has feeling in the tip of her tail, and judging by what I read online it means its the less-severe type of tail injury.

I'm just sitting her bawling my eyes out and trying to see the screen well-enough to find some good information. Thank you everyone for your input...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I wish I could tell you there was something you could do, but there isn't.
Tail injuries are much more serious than they appear and can affect muscles controlling urination and defecation.
Your kitten, really, truly needs a vet.
I have to agree. Nerve damage can lead to incontinence. Please don't give her any pain medications meant for humans, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, as they could kill her.

shortstuff2309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain! I thought I had broken my cat's tail once also after I accidentally shut the door on it. You could feel the bump where it happened and when you touched the spot, she would sqeel like she was in tremendous pain. Her tail still worked, but you could see that it was a bit crooked. It looked a lot worse than it actually turned out to be though. When I took her to the vet, they did an x-ray and it wasn't completely broken or fractured. Nothing was damaged and there really wasn't anything to do for it but let it heal alone with time. It's perfectly fine now.

I would definitely get the kitty in with the vet as soon as you can and get it checked out. Hopefully it'll be another good outcome. Good luck!

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm reading that it can cause some massive problems for them internally...

And turns out she doesn't have feeling in the tip of her tail. She was cleaning her foot and didn't see me touching it... and didn't feel it either.

We have a Feliway diffuser, so I brought it into the room where she's lying. It seemed to help her a lot because she started purring right away. I've been lying with her and talking to her and waiting for my boyfriend to get home so we can get her fixed up.

I really feel like the worst person ever for letting this happen to my baby.

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There seems to be some improvement! She can twitch the tip of it again slightly. And the feeling is coming back. She just had a short nap and is now drinking some water. I'm watching her like a hawk...

She's going in to be spayed on Wednesday. If she maintains control of her bowels and bladder until then, and isn't in extreme pain, I'm hoping we can wait until then. Is that completely ridiculous and evil of me?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, of course you're not evil... but I do think you should have taken her to a vet. Damage that might be reversible at this point could become permanent by Wednesday.

I'll keep your little one in my thoughts, hoping she's fine...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happened to my rex - one min he was fine, next min he could not move his tail - I thought he broke it too....and this was about 2 weeks before a show!

When I took him into the vet, it was swollen at the base; vet x-rayed it and found no broken bones (thank God) but it was badly sprained. He wrapped the tail up about 1/2 way and after 10 days we took off the wrap and his tail was fine.

Scared us to death, we still do not know how it happened. BTW he went to the show and finalled in every ring

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear I am sending vibes & prayers your way!!

Penelope had that scratch on her tail and I was worried too.
It sounds like a bad sprain/strain, which is good. Just keep an eye on your baby and let us know what you find out.

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support!

I am THRILLED to report that today Pixel is walking around with her tail high in the air again!
She does still have a small bump on her tail about 2 inches from her bum, but it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain (I can actually feel the bump today without her snarling at me).

She is also diligently using her litterbox, and eating and drinking as normal. She's been acting like herself and if I didn't see how bad she was yesterday, I wouldn't have known that anything happened.

I am going to the vet on Wednesday for her spaying, so I will DEFINITELY have them check it out then. But because it's no longer causing her pain (judging by the fact I can touch it), and all of her mobility is back, plus she's using her litterbox without incident, I think it was just a sprain/strain and she's okay now.

She's been very lovable with me today, I think she's thankful for the good care I gave her... It's made me consider buying some Rescue Remedy as in the future I'd love to be able to give my cats something for their pain until we can get them help.

I will keep a very close eye on her and rush her in if she shows the slightest indication that its a severe injury.

I'll update again on Wednesday when I hear from the vet!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is doing better! I know if we had a kitty that broke it's tail or we even thought it was, I would be so freaked out. I would still mention it on wednesday when you go to get her spayed. Just to be on the safe side. Hope it all goes well!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it's improved!

The main danger with injuries like that, is that tissue swelling could cause damage to the nerves and also compromise blood circulation which can be dangerous - this is especially the case in the tail as it is long and thin and of course contains the spine. I would always advise to see a vet even if it may not be broken, as anti-inflammatories may be needed to reduce swelling so that oxygen can still reach the tip and to prevent/minimise long-term nerve damage caused by pressure from swelling.

However if your cat is holding her tail up again it does sound as if swelling has reduced which is great! I would definitely mention it to the vet when she goes in, or if it gets worse again she may need to see a vet sooner. Keep a close eye on her in the meantime

And it is NOT your fault, it isn't as if you deliberately hurt her! Accidents happen. I shut my kitten's foot in a door not so long ago so I do know how you feel

sylviacastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is going through the same thing right now. I notice his tail was hanging and it is painful to the touch. I am going to bring him to the vet tomorrow. I am very concerned though. My husband has been out of work for the past six months. All my cards are pretty tapped out and we have no cash. I am hoping it will not be too much money. Can anyone tell me what they have paid for a broken tail proceedure.

Sylvia

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sylviacastro

My cat is going through the same thing right now. I notice his tail was hanging and it is painful to the touch. I am going to bring him to the vet tomorrow. I am very concerned though. My husband has been out of work for the past six months. All my cards are pretty tapped out and we have no cash. I am hoping it will not be too much money. Can anyone tell me what they have paid for a broken tail proceedure.

Sylvia
As far as I know there is nothing they can do about the actual break in the tail. It is important to have a vet examination because it can cause other, sometimes severe, problems......