Stud question

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Ti Ti was 2 years old before he figured things out, but his baby boy, Koda Bear is 4 months old, and he has already figured out a few things, and I could see him trying to get his groove on within the next few weeks!! My baby boy is growing up.

I know with our Ragdolls females, at least, I like to wait until they are at least 12 months of age before breeding or later.
I have never heard of any negative sides to breeding a male early, but I must say I don't feel exactly comfortable "allowing" him to breed at a young age. Can anyone tell me if breeding a male kitten can create problems? I also don't want his hormones to be hard on him either. Can you give me some advice, on what is best with these over eager young boys?

Thank you,
Stormi

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of any negitives for a males, but I wouldn't feel comfortable either.
Dante' was pretty young with his and Ices' first litter too, and they were fine. As far as long term effects or if their are any possibilities of risks, I am not sure.
Have you asked your mentor about it? How young was her youngest tom?
I will have to remember how old Dante' was when he and Ice bred.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My other studs have been 11 months and 2 years, my past mentor had an accidental mating, a 5 month old baby to his Mom, she petted out all the kittens, and I never heard of any negative side effects either in the males. My assumption would be if he is biggest enough to get a female pregnant, than the sperm should be healthy and viable, thus resulting in healthy, viable kittens.
However, I would like to hear other opinions, any negative side effects that I am not aware of. His Daddy, who will be 3 in July, never learned to spray, so my hope is Koda won't either, but I know there is no guarantee.
The only sad thing, is he won't be able to stay out as long roaming free all the time, as he is now. I don't want an accidental pregnancy, nor do I want him mating his own Mom.
Personally, I would rather him be an unmature male for a little longer, but I think his hormones have other thoughts.
Thanks for the input, Leslye, it is appreciated.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, my first thought is how would one know if a stud only 4-6 months old complements the female correct? He's not nearly fully grown so it would be hard to tell if he's got the right type to match the female.

Another thing is the health. I HCM test all my cats and there's no point doing that until the cat is fully grown. I know Swedish Ragdoll breeders scan their breeding cats kidneys for CIN and I'm not sure if there's a recommended age for that test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sol. You gave me a great thing to think about. The female the boy is interested in, is a girl we planned on a breeding with down the road. He is still a young kitten who could change, and show faults later on, or go the other way. His parents have very nicely titled 5 generation pedigree with Grands and Supremes, so I do have high hopes for showing this boy.
I also HCM scan, and both parents have scanned clear, but as you and I know, a scan this year, can change and a board certified cardiologist can see a change in the thickness later. Of course, i would scan the baby boy too, before he breeds, but at 4 months old, it is unlikely that anything would show up at this time, it would only be a scan to review, if we scanned a few months later, it would give the cardiologist a way to measure for any thickening, but I also have to consider how much his heart will grow, as he is just a kitten. A large, and in charge kitten.

I am not sure if I am going to say this is fact, but I would say the majority of Ragdoll breeders in the states, don't scan for CIN. I have spoke to a few breeders, regarding CIN and PKD, and these issues are not prevalent in the Ragdoll breed, unless, an outcross was brought in.

In Europe, it appears many more Ragdoll breeders are working with the non-traditional colors and patterns. The orginal colors are seal and blue and chocolate and lilac, but outcrosses were used to bring in the red and lynx colors and patterns, as well as the outcrosses that were used for the Solid and Mink Ragdoll programs. I feel the outcrossing, (depending on breed used) brought in more of the CIN and PKD issues. We give a 4 year genetic guarantee on our kittens, which would cover HCM, and any other genetic issue.

At this time, I am working with the seal and blue only. As I said in my first post, I just haven't felt comfortable with him breeding at this age, but would like opinions.

Am I correct that CIN and PKD can be seen during the same scanning? I will continue to keep these tests in mind, but so far I haven't known of any cases, except 2, and they were both outcrossed to another breed. They were not of my breedings.

Again, thank you, Sol. More food for thought.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to think about Dante's age, he was older, he was acually about 9 months when he and Ice mated, and the kittens from smudges litter were born in april (he turned a year in May.
His second litter is due any day! Ice is 63 days. I think she may have lost her mucus plug sunday night. She is very clingy now and sleeps at my feet where ever I am (I have almost squashed them all a couple times even) I don't think she is quite ready now how ever and still think it will be thursday (3/22) the first date I had and that will be day 65, she may still wait for your quess on saterday. Either way it's only 2 more days then I quessed, I have waited this long 65 days 67 days it doesn't matter now! But I still hope for sooner rather then later in fact she could have them today and that would be fine (come on Ice you can do it today!)
I think as far as Koda, it may not hurt to keep him away from the females for a while longer. I still haven't heard of any negitives, but don't know many that have bred that early to have any comments on it. Better safe then sorry.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

Am I correct that CIN and PKD can be seen during the same scanning? I will continue to keep these tests in mind, but so far I haven't known of any cases, except 2, and they were both outcrossed to another breed. They were not of my breedings.

Again, thank you, Sol. More food for thought.
Yes, CIN and PKD can be seen during the same scan, very practical. I think most Swedish Ragdoll bredders that test for CIN and/or PKD test for HCM at the same time to. 3 tests in one, not bad.

PKD doesn't seem to be a big problem, i's mostly CIN that causes problem and since I don't breed Ragdolls I have no idea if outcrossings are a likely source of the problem. Very few breeders in Sweden seem to work with red color though. Most breeders go for the original colors.