Weight Question. . .

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!!

My baby Roxie is about 1 1/2 years old now. We took her to the vet at the end of January for her yearly check-up. When they weighed her at the visit she was 12 pounds, WOW!! I mean I knew she was a lil' heavy but I never thought she weighed that much!!

Anyway, the vet told us she could use to lose some weight and that we should try decreasing her food by 20%. At that time we were only feeding dry. So I decreased her food and still no weight change that was noticable. After joining TCS and reading all the threads about premium foods, I made the decision to switch her from the Purina friskies brand food (which I learned is the "McDonalds" of the cat food world) to the Nutro Natural choice complete care adult indoor dry. I also started feeding her wet food again which I had stopped feeding her when she was about 1.

SO.. this is her feeding schedule: At around 1:30, when I come home for lunch, I feed her 1/3 cup of the dry. Then around dinner-time, which ranges anywhere from about 6 pm - 9 pm, she gets 1/4 can of the Nutro wet. She has been eating the Nutro in these amounts for about 2 weeks now and she is starting to drop some weight.

My question is what is a healthy weight for a cat her age?? Am I feeding her enough or is there something I can do better? Also, how long should it take for her to reach whatever "goal" weight we set? I don't want to put her on weight management food yet because she is looking thinner BUT if thats what it comes to then I will have to.

Sorry for the long post

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet would be best to ask this question to as weight is relative to body type and bone structure and in that, cats are as differing as human.

Average female cat weights though are usually between 6 and 10 pounds.
Mind you, that is just an average, a generalization.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Your vet would be best to ask this question to as weight is relative to body type and bone structure and in that, cats are as differing as human.

I understand that my vet would be the best to ask this question BUT I don't feel like them telling me that I need to bring her in and then have to pay a fortune just so he can answer a few questions. Don't get me wrong, I will take her to the vet if she is sick or acting out of sorts but this sort of thing just seems to me like the vet would be the last resort, if she is still a chubster. This is where the great members of TCS come in!

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very hard to determine the healthy weight for your cat without seeing her (and feeling her too). That's why the best judge is your vet, or you.

Like Arlyn said, average adult female weight is 6-10 lbs, but there are healthy adult females that are 5lbs and some that are more than 15lbs...for example. It just depends on the cat's body type and frame size.

The guidelines on the bags are not a sure thing, sometimes they can be too much...but for the food you're feeding, you're feeding in the "3-5 lb" range, but that doesn't allow for her wet food intake...so the two foods together might be in the rec'd amt. for a 5-10lb cat. Those are wide ranges, though. I was looking at the chart on this page: http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncccia.asp

I don't have any experience w/weight mgt. food, but the general consensus is that it isn't very effective. Those "light" foods have more carbs in them, which stick to the kitty's ribs more than anything...and they have no use for carbs. They need protein to feel satisfied. Many recommend a high protein low carb diet for weight loss. Wet food is even better.

Oh, and AFAIK the only safe way for kitty to lose weight is slowly.

If anything, I would offer her an addtional canned meal...perhaps instead of the dry. I'll let someone else advise on how much to offer.

I'm not an expert...but hopefully *cough*
one will come around shortly to advise further.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the build of your cat... A good way to judge if she is the right size is...

She should have an abdominal tuck... in other words... her belly shouldn't be hanging down
She should have a waist line when you look down at her.
You should be able to feel her ribs without having to put too much pressure on her sides. (obviously being able to SEE her ribs is not a good thing...)

You also want to check the food labels to see how many calories are in each serving. If you plan on putting her on a diet food... make sure it says "light" NOT "weight control" or anything like that. If it says "weight control" that means it didn't meet AAFCO standards for a light food. For example... the IAMS weight control food has more calories in it then the science diet maintance food. The only reason why Iams says "weight control" is because it has less calories then there own maintance food....

Also, just so you know.. the nutro you put your baby on has more fat per serving then the friskies.

Just my opinion... but the best over the counter diet food is science diet light. Like I said.. Its just my opinion.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, her belly does hang down
but not so much as it used to... She def. did not used to have a waist line but I noticed that as she trims down it is becoming more visible... When touching her you really don't have to apply much pressure at all to feel her ribs... Overall, she isn't a huge cat... Really the only overweight part of her is her saggy belly... She's actually more muscular everywhere else than fat...

I do like the Nutro for her though... She really enjoys the wet food and I am pleased because you can always see the peas and peppers when you scoop it into her dish, something I NEVER saw in the Friskies... Should I increase the amount of wet food I give her at night and maybe give her less dry? She really likes the dry too... She will crunch on a few pieces of it throughout the day until she knows it's dinner-time...

I am going to give my vet a call probably in about a week or so. I want to get a scale and weigh her to see where we stand.

I'm including some links for pictures of her, their not the best quality but I think they show her build off the best...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/100_1362.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/100_1373.jpg

I am going to try and get some better and more recent pics later... Thanks everyone for all your help and advice!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, judging by her pics, and the fact that your vet said slightly overweight at 12 pounds, I'd say she's probably in the 9-10 average.
I wouldn't overly worry so much about sagging bellies as genetics just puts fat pads there on some cats, and none on others.
Now if it sags to the point of making her look like a nursing mother, well, that's too much sag

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, judging by her pics, and the fact that your vet said slightly overweight at 12 pounds, I'd say she's probably in the 9-10 average.
I wouldn't overly worry so much about sagging bellies as genetics just puts fat pads there on some cats, and none on others.
Now if it sags to the point of making her look like a nursing mother, well, that's too much sag
Well, I don't think she looks like a nursing mother
... but then again, I have never seen one!!

I would like to keep feeding her both the wet and dry. Does anyone have any suggestions on how much of each I should feed her??

Everyone here at TCS is so wonderful. How glad am I that I found you guys!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

Well, her belly does hang down
but not so much as it used to... She def. did not used to have a waist line but I noticed that as she trims down it is becoming more visible... When touching her you really don't have to apply much pressure at all to feel her ribs... Overall, she isn't a huge cat... Really the only overweight part of her is her saggy belly... She's actually more muscular everywhere else than fat...

I do like the Nutro for her though... She really enjoys the wet food and I am pleased because you can always see the peas and peppers when you scoop it into her dish, something I NEVER saw in the Friskies... Should I increase the amount of wet food I give her at night and maybe give her less dry? She really likes the dry too... She will crunch on a few pieces of it throughout the day until she knows it's dinner-time...

I am going to give my vet a call probably in about a week or so. I want to get a scale and weigh her to see where we stand.

I'm including some links for pictures of her, their not the best quality but I think they show her build off the best...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/100_1362.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/100_1373.jpg

I am going to try and get some better and more recent pics later... Thanks everyone for all your help and advice!!
She is beautiful!

I have 2 males cats, both of whom wiegh 13 pounds or so. Shenandoah is at almost 14 pounds. They're LONG cats, and the vet has not said anything about them being too fat.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I don't think she looks like a nursing mother
... but then again, I have never seen one!!

I would like to keep feeding her both the wet and dry. Does anyone have any suggestions on how much of each I should feed her??

Everyone here at TCS is so wonderful. How glad am I that I found you guys!
Honestly, at this point...at her age, I don't think she would be *gaining* weight w/the amounts you're feeding now, but I could be wrong.

You said she 'nibbles' on the 1/3c dry...is that right? How long does it last her? Is it gone by dinner?

My first thought is maybe back down to 1/4c dry, but increase the wet...I don't think she would gain weight even on a full 5.5oz can per day. Is the 1/4 can now a 5.5oz can or a 3oz can? Maybe split the wet between breakfast and dinner, and leave her the small bit of dry to nibble on as she wishes in between. Amounts are hard for me to judge...I'm just going by what my cats eat in a day...well, the ones that are the right weight, anyway

You may have already arrived at this conclusion, but personally I wouldn't bother with "light" OR "weight control"...just my opinion.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

She is beautiful!

I have 2 males cats, both of whom wiegh 13 pounds or so. Shenandoah is at almost 14 pounds. They're LONG cats, and the vet has not said anything about them being too fat.
Thank you batgirl... although neither of those pictures really do her much justice... they are just the best I have to show off her weight...

Beandip, I give her the 1/3c dry at 1:30ish and she usually will eat a little less than half right then and there, then she'll just nibble on the rest. 90% of the time it is all gone by dinner-time, the other 10% she will have left maybe about 5 kibbles in her bowl.

The 1/4c wet is from a 5.5oz can. Should I give her half a can a day, some in the morning and the rest at dinner and decrease the dry to 1/4c? I don't know if she would eat a whole can of wet even if broken up into 2 feedings.

I really do not want to feed her any of the light or weight management food. I just want to figure out the best way to feed her for her weight really.

Thanks everyone

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After looking at her pictures, I would agree that she doesn't need a light food. She is only a little over weight....

On your bag and can of food there should be a recommended amount to feed based on weight. You should feed her according to what she SHOULD weigh and not what she does weigh.

You were dead on when thinking about feeding 1/4 cups dry and one whole 5.5oz can daily. Thats about what she should be eatting to get to her ideal weight.

If she wont eat the wet food all at once, I would definatly split it up through out the day. If you leave it out for too long it will spoil...

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard with 2 cats, my being gone all day, etc. Humble is a grazer and nibbles during the day. Shenandoah gets 1/3 of a can of wet food (a SMALL can) 2-3 times a day, and he might nibble on some of the dry.

Humble will only eayt wet. I put 1/2 a cup out in the a.m. and if it is empty when I get home, i put maybe 1/3 of a cup more. I spread this over 2 dishes.

What is a good time frame for weight loss to occur? I have read that 1 pound in 6 weeks is ok.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats should only lose about 1% of there weight a week. You have to be a little more careful with a cat on a diet then with a dog on a diet because cats can get hepatic lipidosis.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

Cats should only lose about 1% of there weight a week. You have to be a little more careful with a cat on a diet then with a dog on a diet because cats can get hepatic lipidosis.
Yes, I know....that scares me! Has anyone seen those commercials for Hills Science Diet? The one about the cat states that "4 weeks later, Molly (or whatever the name is) is at a healthier weight. (The cat had needed to lose 2 lbs.)

That seems way too fast to me.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

After looking at her pictures, I would agree that she doesn't need a light food. She is only a little over weight....

On your bag and can of food there should be a recommended amount to feed based on weight. You should feed her according to what she SHOULD weigh and not what she does weigh.

You were dead on when thinking about feeding 1/4 cups dry and one whole 5.5oz can daily. Thats about what she should be eatting to get to her ideal weight.

If she wont eat the wet food all at once, I would definatly split it up through out the day. If you leave it out for too long it will spoil...
Ok, so I am going to decrease the dry to 1/4c at lunch time (1:30 PM). I don't think I am going to give her a whole can a day though because I'm positive she won't eat it all. So instead I will give her 1/4 can at breakfast time and another 1/4 can at dinner time. Is that going to be too little?

I didn't even know anything about hepatic lipidosis. I googled it and read a bunch of stuff about it. At least now I'm aware. Learn something new everyday!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ditto ...

the 1/2 cup and half a can??? sounds good... you may when she get down switch her to the reg adult natural choice

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Ditto ...

the 1/2 cup and half a can??? sounds good... you may when she get down switch her to the reg adult natural choice
She is on the regular adult natural choice --

Today I gave her 1/4 can wet in the morning, 1/4 cup dry in the afternoon, and 1/4 can wet again at dinner. She scarfed her dinner down so fast i think she gave herself indigestion!! If I bump it to a whole can a day is that going to make her stay chubby or even gain weight? It kinda seems like their bodies utilize the wet food better. Do they burn that off easier than the dry food?? Or am I making this up??

Thanks guys... this is my first cat so I definately a newbie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Today I gave her 1/4 can wet in the morning, 1/4 cup dry in the afternoon, and 1/4 can wet again at dinner. She scarfed her dinner down so fast i think she gave herself indigestion!! If I bump it to a whole can a day is that going to make her stay chubby or even gain weight? It kinda seems like their bodies utilize the wet food better. Do they burn that off easier than the dry food?? Or am I making this up??

The wet food in moisture protein and fat is similiar to natural prey ... dry food is like human cereal

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love your posts! They're helping me as well. So many great people here help us all with their knowledge.