TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Political Corectness Gone OTT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Political Corectness Gone OTT - Page 2

post #31 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
We have a close Muslim friend from Iran. While it is true that Muslims don't eat pork, they also don't have dogs as pets, as they believe that dogs are unclean. Rarely will you see a Muslim keep any pets, but especially not dogs. Therefore, you could say that changing the story from pigs to dogs might even be more offensive to Muslims.
Sorry but where are you getting your statistics from? My parents own a dog and many Muslims I know are cat owners. In some Middle Eastern countries it is vey common to have guard dogs, yes they may live outside but they are well loved and cared for with adquate shelter. When my grandfather was young his entire family went into mourning at the death of the family dog, they were heartbroken. His eyes still well up when he talks about her and her loyalty and love for his family. She was a member of the family to them as were many of the guard dogs in his village to their "owners."

I don't have statistics and I am quite interested in this subject, so if you do have any please share them with me. It would be much appreciated

ETA In Iran they tend to have a stricter interpretation of the Quran. There is no ban on dogs in Koran (in fact they are commended for having saved lives of people in a cave) but just on the dog living outside. In modern times this has changed due to vaccinations and illness no longer being fatal, many Muslim dog owners keep them inside.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
I'd be interested to find out what changes they are making to US history books

Ahhhh... You have my full sympathy that you national newspaper wouldn't publish pictures of a cartoon with Mohammed with a bomb on his head. Trust me- my heart bleeds that you felt censored by this :

I ask how it effected you personally, obviously you were upset that the cartoons weren't published as you fancied a bit of Mulim-baiting

Glad to hear that the play has been changed back, I bet they can't sell seats fast enough now
I fancy the Truth, and being focred not being able to give my opions becuase of fear, of upsetting someone, or better yet, for fear that someone my came along blow up the newpaper or cut off a reporters head(i do see that has happend before). But since the riots and deaths i would say the cartoon proved that the artist was right.

Maybe when the normal every day muslims start telling the minortiy(radical) to sit down and shut up, this debate could end. but i guess they are to scared to do that. because to the majority of non muslims, there slience speaks volumes. IE they agree, with the radical.

And you for asked one, that what comes to mind i guess you feell that other's doing your thinking, for you is a good thing? I perfer to see something and make up my own mind.
Censorship is still censorship be forced from a goverment or from fear of death, or fear of not being PC. SO you support censorship then?

As to the history book, i will see if can get my hands on my nephew books oh wait, cant post copy right ,, anyway, there was no mention the reason people frist came here to US for there reglious freedom, that kinda get dropped out of it.
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
I think perhaps you've misunderstood me? In the case cited, the "pigs" were changed to "puppies" not due to any pressure exerted by Muslims, but in an attempt by non-Muslims to be overly correct. However, some people will presumably choose to interpret the change as being "forced upon" the non-Muslims.

THUS pc getting over done once again.
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
I fancy the Truth, and being focred not being able to give my opions becuase of fear, of upsetting someone, or better yet, for fear that someone my came along blow up the newpaper or cut off a reporters head(i do see that has happend before). But since the riots and deaths i would say the cartoon proved that the artist was right.
I remember the riots in Lahore and attempts at boycotting Danish goods by Muslims but I'm afraid you'll have to remind me about the beheading of journalists as as far as I am aware this has only taken place in Iraq where there is a current state of civil arrest. You can try to bring up the murder of the Dutch film director but I think you are clutching at straws. How about fear created in the media following 9/11 and 7/7 resulting in Sihk and Hindu temples being attacked or does you ';Truth' only see one side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98
Maybe when the normal every day muslims start telling the minortiy(radical) to sit down and shut up, this debate could end. but i guess they are to scared to do that. because to the majority of non muslims, there slience speaks volumes. IE they agree, with the radical.
I have three good friends who are Muslim, they all thought the paper was wrong to publish the vartoons but I don't believe any of them made death threats or listen to the more fundamentalist clerics. As a Xstian should I compare your views with those of Ann Coultrer? Is your heart full of love or dark with hatred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98
And you for asked one, that what comes to mind i guess you feell that other's doing your thinking, for you is a good thing? I perfer to see something and make up my own mind.
Censorship is still censorship be forced from a goverment or from fear of death, or fear of not being PC. SO you support censorship then?

As to the history book, i will see if can get my hands on my nephew books oh wait, cant post copy right ,, anyway, there was no mention the reason people first came here to US for there reglious freedom, that kinda get dropped out of it.
I have Native American blood, if I had children I would want them to know about the genecide that took place at the hands of the Pilgrims, about ordinary citizens being shot by the military police outside of tube stations when those in the East End went for bomb shelter and I would like them to learn Irish history...
Perhaps I'm more than capable of discussing things with my children in a fair and balanced manner
post #35 of 52
There is the case of Daniel Pearl being beheaded. But that is slightly off topic.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
I remember the riots in Lahore and attempts at boycotting Danish goods by Muslims but I'm afraid you'll have to remind me about the beheading of journalists as as far as I am aware this has only taken place in Iraq where there is a current state of civil arrest. You can try to bring up the murder of the Dutch film director but I think you are clutching at straws. How about fear created in the media following 9/11 and 7/7 resulting in Sihk and Hindu temples being attacked or does you ';Truth' only see one side?
Not true look it up, has happend in other places also
Nope of course that is not right, thosewas people being jerk, in response to people that looked different. which is wrong.Which almost everyone here was outraged that took place.. i can see both sides. not just one. the Media as always over did some of there coverage, ok most of of the coverarge. How i can see trouble in radical you cant? How is a murder of human being clutching at straws?
or is it cause he made a movie that showed some of the bad point? or maybe it was ok to kill him from your point of view since it showed something negtive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
I have three good friends who are Muslim, they all thought the paper was wrong to publish the vartoons but I don't believe any of them made death threats or listen to the more fundamentalist clerics. As a Xstian should I compare your views with those of Ann Coultrer? Is your heart full of love or dark with hatred?
Since i dont seem to go out of my way to defend,hate groups, no matter what faith or political party they hide behind, i would say i i see it better then people who say my reglion is on of peace, but keep silent. there by allowing the few to run the reglion for a whole. Stand up be counted . OR mabye they are just as scared they will get killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
I have Native American blood, if I had children I would want them to know about the genecide that took place at the hands of the Pilgrims, about ordinary citizens being shot by the military police outside of tube stations when those in the East End went for bomb shelter and I would like them to learn Irish history...
Perhaps I'm more than capable of discussing things with my children in a fair and balanced manner
lol so was my great grand mother(100% apache)
i agree they need to know that bad that was done also,, But how about also teaching the real reason people left. no need to hide the truth behind PC say this was wrong, but it was how it was done. now dont repeart the mistake later. hmm so far it does not sound that way, sounds like they will get the far left version, not the one in the middle.
post #37 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
Maybe when the normal every day muslims start telling the minortiy(radical) to sit down and shut up, this debate could end. but i guess they are to scared to do that. because to the majority of non muslims, there slience speaks volumes. IE they agree, with the radical.
Ok sorry but this really irks me. The whole attitude of moderate Muslims having a responsibility to tell these people to "shut up." You have to understand that moderate Muslims are worse than the "non-believers" to these fundamentalist types. They are Muslims who have (in the radicals mind) have turned away from the correct path, which makes them practically Satan. If I were to approach such a person and tell him to "Shut up" it would not be an exaggeration to say that my life would probably be in danger. Why do you think that group in England was targeting a British-Pakistani Muslim soldier? Because he was "worse" than any other type of soldier, he is a "traitor". They wanted to behead him! What does this tell you about these people?!
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sims2fan View Post
Ok sorry but this really irks me. The whole attitude of moderate Muslims having a responsibility to tell these people to "shut up." You have to understand that moderate Muslims are worse than the "non-believers" to these fundamentalist types. They are Muslims who have (in the radicals mind) have turned away from the correct path, which makes them practically Satan. If I were to approach such a person and tell him to "Shut up" it would not be an exaggeration to say that my life would probably be in danger. Why do you think that group in England was targeting a British-Pakistani Muslim soldier? Because he was "worse" than any other type of soldier, he is a "traitor". They wanted to behead him! What does this tell you about these people?!
Excellent point, Marya.
Have mainstream Americans managed to silence the KKK, or like groups?

Besides, there have been protests by moderate Muslims, e.g., in Germany, when two Leipzig engineers were abducted in Iraq.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
I asked my mum who teaches in London and she hasn't heard anything about it other than stories that quoted the Daily Mail and 'anonymous government source'.

I don't believe anything I read in the Daily Mail
I wouldn't either. Goodness me, tabloids and magazines make up stories all the time. It's part-and-parcel of the industry. It's not a speculation, it actually happens. Really, there are so many publications such as these that fact-checking cannot be done by outside sources, so as long as things aren't too inflammatory (and really, the bar is pretty low there - not a lot gets censored) they're pretty much free to say what they want.

My brother told me a story once many years ago. He's a prosecutor, and he was met at the court steps by a reporter (I won't call her a journalist) who was trying get information about the case he was working on. When he told her he had nothing to say, she looked straight at him and said,`Well, if you don't tell me, I'll just make something up'. He was disgusted, but not surprised.

Even Ghandi had bad stuff to say about reporters: `I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers'.

post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Excellent point, Marya.
Have mainstream Americans managed to silence the KKK, or like groups?

Besides, there have been protests by moderate Muslims, e.g., in Germany, when two Leipzig engineers were abducted in Iraq.


I don't know, I think the court of public opinion has done alot to discredit the KKK. They only have a fraction of them members they used to have.

And since when is PC some right-wing conspiracy?
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sims2fan View Post
Sorry but where are you getting your statistics from? My parents own a dog and many Muslims I know are cat owners. In some Middle Eastern countries it is vey common to have guard dogs, yes they may live outside but they are well loved and cared for with adquate shelter. When my grandfather was young his entire family went into mourning at the death of the family dog, they were heartbroken. His eyes still well up when he talks about her and her loyalty and love for his family. She was a member of the family to them as were many of the guard dogs in his village to their "owners."

I don't have statistics and I am quite interested in this subject, so if you do have any please share them with me. It would be much appreciated

ETA In Iran they tend to have a stricter interpretation of the Quran. There is no ban on dogs in Koran (in fact they are commended for having saved lives of people in a cave) but just on the dog living outside. In modern times this has changed due to vaccinations and illness no longer being fatal, many Muslim dog owners keep them inside.
I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, and there are many different interpretations of Islam, just like there are many different Christian sects, and they do not all hold the same views. I am only going by what my Muslim Iranian friend tells me. And then there are the Muslim cab drivers in Minneapolis (widely reported in the news) who have refused to transport dogs traveling with their owners, or people with alcohol in their possession.
post #42 of 52
Sorry OT, but who the heck are the cabbies that would refuse to transport a dog in their cab? If the cab belongs to them personally, I can see them refusing service to anyone they want but if they work for someone, I do NOT see how they can get by with that one.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Excellent point, Marya.
Have mainstream Americans managed to silence the KKK, or like groups?

.
From the stand point do those groups have any impact anymore.,Then the answer is yes.

More people show up to make fun of them then show up to support.
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sims2fan View Post
Ok sorry but this really irks me. The whole attitude of moderate Muslims having a responsibility to tell these people to "shut up." You have to understand that moderate Muslims are worse than the "non-believers" to these fundamentalist types. They are Muslims who have (in the radicals mind) have turned away from the correct path, which makes them practically Satan. If I were to approach such a person and tell him to "Shut up" it would not be an exaggeration to say that my life would probably be in danger. Why do you think that group in England was targeting a British-Pakistani Muslim soldier? Because he was "worse" than any other type of soldier, he is a "traitor". They wanted to behead him! What does this tell you about these people?!
Thanks, you just proved my point better then i could..
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I don't know, I think the court of public opinion has done alot to discredit the KKK. They only have a fraction of them members they used to have.
Cindy, please, please, please tell me you are not a supporter of that group. Your post is a little ambiguous on that one.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Sorry OT, but who the heck are the cabbies that would refuse to transport a dog in their cab? If the cab belongs to them personally, I can see them refusing service to anyone they want but if they work for someone, I do NOT see how they can get by with that one.
It only seems to be at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport for some reason. I just know it has been widely covered in the news.

More OT. Today it was reported that Muslim workers at Wal-Mart (also in the Minneapolis area, I think) are refusing to scan bacon over the scanners because it is against their religion! What's going on? I mean they aren't EATING it, and I believe the only prohibition is against eating pork.
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
It only seems to be at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport for some reason. I just know it has been widely covered in the news.

More OT. Today it was reported that Muslim workers at Wal-Mart (also in the Minneapolis area, I think) are refusing to scan bacon over the scanners because it is against their religion! What's going on? I mean they aren't EATING it, and I believe the only prohibition is against eating pork.
This tends to be a fundamentalist view (no matter what the religion) that because I believe this, you can't do it either.
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Cindy, please, please, please tell me you are not a supporter of that group. Your post is a little ambiguous on that one.
Of course I am not a supporter of the KKK. What have I ever said that would make you think such a thing.
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Of course I am not a supporter of the KKK. What have I ever said that would make you think such a thing.
No no - I never, ever thought you would be. Just something about the way you worded your post about them, that's all. My interpretation only, nothing more. Sorry
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
It only seems to be at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport for some reason. I just know it has been widely covered in the news.

More OT. Today it was reported that Muslim workers at Wal-Mart (also in the Minneapolis area, I think) are refusing to scan bacon over the scanners because it is against their religion! What's going on? I mean they aren't EATING it, and I believe the only prohibition is against eating pork.
If these actions are limited to one area, they can hardly be applied to Muslims in general. In fact, there's no such thing. Just as "Christians" are comprised of many denominations, so are "Muslims". And "Jews".

From what I understand, quite a few Iranian-Americans are very upset about the depiction of ancient Persians in the film "300", and perhaps the protest actions have something to do with that? I haven't seen the film, and can't judge.
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
If these actions are limited to one area, they can hardly be applied to Muslims in general. In fact, there's no such thing. Just as "Christians" are comprised of many denominations, so are "Muslims". And "Jews".
Yeah, I believe I said that in an earlier post.

Quote:
From what I understand, quite a few Iranian-Americans are very upset about the depiction of ancient Persians in the film "300", and perhaps the protest actions have something to do with that? I haven't seen the film, and can't judge.
Me neither, and I probably won't.
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Exactly. Not to mention that puppies weren't exactly the right substitute to choose.
Just take a look at the first two comments on the story posted in that link.
That made me laugh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Political Corectness Gone OTT