Does he look skinny to you?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As most know Ping was neutered Thursday. And I was so frazzled over the whole thing i forgot to ask if his weight was normal. I have always assumed that because he is 1/2 Siamese that being a little on the skinny side was normal. But today I find myself 2nd guessing that. I did though have him wormed Thursday along with the neuter and when he came home hubby said he looked skinnier. He eats good 1/2 can of wet food in the morning and 1/2 at night and dry food out at all times. He pees and poos ok and is active when he should be and sleeps as normal. Anyways here is the pictures. I very lightly have my hand resting on his back side. What can I or should I do to help him gain some weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks good to me but only a vet who can see and touch should give this answer to you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I understand that I was just wondering if he looked skinny to anyone else. I think Mon. morning I may call and ask them. Maybe they can give me some answer without me driving all they way back up there.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The areas to differentiate under weight are the back/spine, rib cage, neck. If there is bone definition felt in these areas, your kitty is under weight. Siamese? they are often more defined in build..............as long as healthy appetite, I wouldn't worry to much. Unless eating more then usual and loosing weight, this is a sign of worms......

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks ok to me in those pics. With cats you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them so have a feel around his rib cage and underneath and see what you can feel. A thin layer of fat all around is all you should feel, and yo should be able to feel his rib cage through the fat. If his bones are protruding though or are visible then he's probably too thin. With him being half siamese he may be skinnier than your average cat but that'll just be his build. I have a skinny cat with that sort of build and a lot of people seeing him for the first time comment that he's skinny. H'es not though, he's the right size for his build.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right about now, everybody is having garage sales. I would bet that is the case in Florida too. You would be surprised how many baby scales are for sale at garage sales. Get one. It is just too hard to know if your cat is gaining or losing weight without one. I weigh my two babies every week and keep a logbook on what their weight is so that I can make adjustments to their diet or whatever. This way, if I see that one of them is losing weight week after week, there would be no guesswork and I would rush the cat to the vet. Just as Sharky says, he looks good to me but having a scale you would know for sure. BTW I picked mine up for two dollars. I guess when people are done having babies they sell their scales at a very cheap price.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Right about now, everybody is having garage sales. I would bet that is the case in Florida too. You would be surprised how many baby scales are for sale at garage sales. Get one. It is just too hard to know if your cat is gaining or losing weight without one. I weigh my two babies every week and keep a logbook on what their weight is so that I can make adjustments to their diet or whatever. This way, if I see that one of them is losing weight week after week, there would be no guesswork and I would rush the cat to the vet. Just as Sharky says, he looks good to me but having a scale you would know for sure. BTW I picked mine up for two dollars. I guess when people are done having babies they sell their scales at a very cheap price.
Do your cats weigh willingly??? I am trying to picture it here... It is a great idea

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Do your cats weigh willingly
??? I am trying to picture it here... It is a great idea
Persi does. In the case of Alley, when I put her on she gets off so I put her back on, and then she gets off.......and then finally she will lay there still enough so that I can get an accurate reading. We have only had her for two months, I think eventually she will just give in and lay there the first time I put her on.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno, I have always been told(by the vet) that after surgery on cats/dogs they look skinnier....for whatever reason.

I dont think he really looks too skinny tho.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks fine to me

As explained to me by a Cat show Judge:

You should be able to feel a layer of fat over the spine and bones. If you have such a layer then it's good. If it feels like there's nothing but skin between the spine and fur then the cat is underweight. If the layer is thick, then the cat is most probably over wieght.

Hope this helps!

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every cat, foster and my own, that has come through here, has looked skinnier after a spay or neuter. If you think about it, they usually have not eaten anything to speak of for about 2 days. I would not worry about it. Wait about a week after his surgery, then decide if he looks to skinny, and supplement accordingly.

[email protected]

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he looks fine to me too, my boy was a really skinny kitten right up until he hit 2yrs last year, he was petite all over and now he's got a belly! only a little flappy one but he's definately filled out!
It always takes a little while after they're neutered for the hormones to die down and and for them to get all soppy, weight will increase too. Also, i'm sure the vet would have noticed if he was underweight and mentioned it to you if that was the case.xxx