CPAP Machines (anyone have one?)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went for a sleep study this past Tuesday night and found out that I stop breathing for during the night for periods as long as 2 minutes at a time and that my oxygen level in my body drops to mid 50's. It's supposed to be mid 90's, which means that during those times my brain and the rest of my body organs are severely deprived of oxygen making my heart have to work so much harder to pump blood to meet my body's oxygen needs.

Part way through the night the girl woke me up and put me on a CPAP machine and apparently I slept fitfully for almost 4 hours and I even dreamed.

I rarely remember my dreams because apparently I wake up hundreds of times in the night and hardly ever enter REM sleep which means I don't dream often.

So now I am being fast tracked through the CPAP program because my case of Sleep Apnea is so severe that they want to get me using one when I sleep ASAP.

Anyone else have Sleep Apnea that they have to use a CPAP machine at night?

I'm familiar with them only from the perspective of having seen them used by patients I've looked after, but they put it on themselves and I have nothing to do with it.

The machine I was on during my sleep study was really quiet, so noise doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue provided I get a similar one. I'm worried about how hard it's going to be getting used to sleeping with a mask over my nose and connected by a hose to a machine.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I went for a sleep study this past Tuesday night and found out that I stop breathing for during the night for periods as long as 2 minutes at a time and that my oxygen level in my body drops to mid 50's. It's supposed to be mid 90's, which means that during those times my brain and the rest of my body organs are severely deprived of oxygen making my heart have to work so much harder to pump blood to meet my body's oxygen needs.

Part way through the night the girl woke me up and put me on a CPAP machine and apparently I slept fitfully for almost 4 hours and I even dreamed.

I rarely remember my dreams because apparently I wake up hundreds of times in the night and hardly ever enter REM sleep which means I don't dream often.

So now I am being fast tracked through the CPAP program because my case of Sleep Apnea is so severe that they want to get me using one when I sleep ASAP.

Anyone else have Sleep Apnea that they have to use a CPAP machine at night?

I'm familiar with them only from the perspective of having seen them used by patients I've looked after, but they put it on themselves and I have nothing to do with it.

The machine I was on during my sleep study was really quiet, so noise doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue provided I get a similar one. I'm worried about how hard it's going to be getting used to sleeping with a mask over my nose and connected by a hose to a machine.
Wow-thats kinda scary.

I think I would like to go in for a sleep study, to see what its like when I sleep. I used to care for a woman that has a CPAP machine.....but I really dont know much about them~sorry.

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lack of adequate sleep is directly linked to adrenal fatigue. Inadequate sleep just drains the adrenal glands. Can you get your doctors to do some tests on your adrenals to see how they are functioning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently off work on long term disability and I'm always exhausted. I feel like I need a nap right after I wake up
Plus my short term memory is so bad these days and I have a hard time articulating my thoughts and I can't find words sometimes for what I want to say. It's crazy.

So I was sent to a respirologist about my lung situation and he suggested a sleep study because of my exhaustion and the fact that I snore.

Had it not been for that I wouldn't have had a sleep study done because it's not something just anyone here gets, only those who have symptoms indicative of sleep apnea.

The waiting list for a study here is about 2 years, but because of my situation they got me in in about 6 weeks for one. And a good thing too. I suspected I had sleep apnea, but I never dreamed it was as severe as it is. I can't even hold my breath for 2 minutes when I'm awake! 45 seconds tops and that's pushing it to the point of being uncomfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sprocket

Lack of adequate sleep is directly linked to adrenal fatigue. Inadequate sleep just drains the adrenal glands. Can you get your doctors to do some tests on your adrenals to see how they are functioning?
It's all been done.

When I was awakened Wednesday morning to take me off the CPAP machine I actually felt rested. I didn't even need a nap that day and I had energy to spare. Amazing what almost 4 hours of uninterupted sleep can do for a body.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have sleep apnea, though when I lost a big chunk of weight, per dh, I stopped snoring, so I think it resolved somewhat. I did have a sleep study, did have a dip to the 60's just one, but not for as long as you, and just once.

I found I could not use my cpap machine. I don't want to say why, because I don't want to influence you or anyone else thinking of getting one. It just wasn't right for me, and after the company tech said what I needed was a Bi-Pap, my doc switched gears on me and wouldn't authorize it. I got so mad I began to lose weight - which was a good thing

I had two friends who loved theirs, and my step-father can at least use his for about half the night, with good results.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm currently off work on long term disability and I'm always exhausted. I feel like I need a nap right after I wake up .
That is cause you not getting real sleep at night
when i put on a ton of weight , like Pat & Alix i had some real sleep issues also, and would often wake up with the feeling that i could not breathe. after losing the wieght
i started sleeping better. Been a long time since woke up with that feeling.

i hope you feel better.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Considering all of the health issues you've been suffering, I think this sounds like it could do you a world of good! I'd be excited if I were you! I would think that it would take a bit of time getting used to sleeping with a mask on your face, but if it improves your health and energy, then I think that's a fair enough trade off.
I can't help you with how it is, I've never used one, but good luck!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband wears one every night, because one night I heard him gasping for air and woke him up and right then we decided he needed to have a sleep study. He had like 30 episodes an hour.
He has no problems with the mask and I like the noise it makes, it's quiet but soothing.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine uses a CPAP machine. She said that she has to keep her bedroom warmer at night than she used to, because if she kept the room too cold, she would get water condensation in the tubing. Other than that little problem, she loves it. She sleeps a lot better and feels rested in the morning when she wakes up. She also likes the sound it makes...kind of like those "white noise" sleep machines.

Pookie & the girls

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BIL has been using one for over 10 year??? He was morbidly obese and has had the very rare two stomach reduction surgeries for his weight. Before he was using it he was falling asleep for a couple of minutes all the time.
The machine does make noise but I think the benefits outweigh the noise.