Dry, Hard Stools W/ Change to Lite Formula

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is approaching his 1st bday and on a recent trip to the vet was advised to switch over to a lite indoor cat formula from kitten food. The vet said he is a big cat at 14 pounds, specifying that both in regards to size and that he's carrying some unnecessary weight. I've been gradually increasing amounts of the adult lite formula and have noticed that his stools seem very hard and dry when compared to before. I'm guessing maybe due to less fat content?

Is there a simple solution to try for this--he likes the food fine.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless he's getting constipated, dry hard stools are usually a good thing! Typically a sign that your cat is using all the nutrients he's eating, and not needing to leave as much in the litterbox!

I wouldn't worry.

IF he does become constipated, just add a little fiber to his diet. Pure canned pumpkin works great for this.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what kitten did he eat ???

what light is he eating ???

what wt should he be???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He went from Science Diet kitten to Science diet adult lite. I've not had good luck with canned food once he was past the baby mush stage.

Vet recommended weight not exceed 15 pounds.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE try another vet ... The cat is 14lbs and shouldnt go over 15 likely isnt overwt ... SD light is something like 18 % fiber from soybean hulls that is likely the trouble

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info everyone.

I don't think she used the exact term overweight--more of a concern that he could be heading in that direction if he continued on the current diet.

Are the soybean hulls just filler? I'd rather try a different food than a different vet! This is our third--I've been very uncomfortable with the other two offices/vets and finally this one feels like a place I could be happy with long term. I couldn't believe the difference in attitudes of the whole staff from the first phone call onward, and the atmosphere was tremendously improved from the "just hand the pet carrier through the slot in the desk" place that had been highly recommended to me earlier.

Do cats continue to grow after their first year? Any suggestions of brands/formulas to try that won't break the bank of a one income family?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippen

Thanks for the info everyone.

I don't think she used the exact term overweight--more of a concern that he could be heading in that direction if he continued on the current diet.

Are the soybean hulls just filler? I'd rather try a different food than a different vet! This is our third--I've been very uncomfortable with the other two offices/vets and finally this one feels like a place I could be happy with long term. I couldn't believe the difference in attitudes of the whole staff from the first phone call onward, and the atmosphere was tremendously improved from the "just hand the pet carrier through the slot in the desk" place that had been highly recommended to me earlier.

Do cats continue to grow after their first year? Any suggestions of brands/formulas to try that won't break the bank of a one income family?
I am going to be blunt ... sorry about this ... Your vet said to put a possible not quite grown animal on wt control food just cause he MAY get overwt ... I DONT TRUST this vet...

Soybean hulls to me are a filler due to the fact in isnt digested ... look at the label ... the SD is mostly rice and corn ( cats need meat )

I would actually look at just adult food , less calories than kitten and a little more play time ...

I use Nutro but there are many good brands... where do you shop for food

My 3 yr old is still growing( rare ) most are done by 18 months