Okay I am well stressed how about a silly poll

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you doing what you went to college for ??? I went to college for nutritional science for humans, seeking a BA to use while I went on to Phamacology school
Did you finish your degree?? No
If not will you finish it or think you will in the next five to ten years ?? Likely
If you will is it the same major you started??No My guess will be animal ( non human) in nature....

If not working in what you learned about, how did you get into your field now?? By default my Mom was working for the company and I worked traditional retail in high school and college

If you are working in your chosen field do you like it ??Yeah somewhat

How long have you been doing your current job or type of work?? 11 years

If you didnt go to college how did you choose your current job?>?? na

and is it in the same field as when you got out of high school???

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You forgot non of the above....I went to college, no degree, and not working in the field of study as well! Do I count? I feel stupid now........

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to college, never finished and am now working in something totally unrelated but I like it, especially the pay
so there is not a choice for me either

I hope to finish my degree before I retire from present job and then I will go back to work in that field, which is psychology. I want to be a school counselor, summers off you see

as I have no children and do not plan on having any, as well as *most likely* going to remain single for the rest of my days, I plan on working as long as I possibly can. I actually enjoy working

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you doing what you went to college for??? I graduated in 2004 from a local community college with my AS in Business Management & Administration.
-My 1st job was as an Administration Assistant in a body shop, so I used it there.
-If I get this job I want now, I'll be the Business & Finance Manager, so yes, I will use it then too!

Did you finish your degree?? Yes, in 2 years.

If not will you finish it or think you will in the next five to ten years?? I want to go back and get my degree in Dental Hygiene- for a Hygenist or a Dentist!

If you will is it the same major you started??Nope, completely opposite!

If you are working in your chosen field do you like it?? LOVE it!

How long have you been doing your current job or type of work?? I've been doing this type of work since I was 15... so...8 years!

If you didnt go to college how did you choose your current job??? N/A

and is it in the same field as when you got out of high school???N/A

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been a domestic engineer for 9 years now.
No, I didn't choose it, in fact, I was the last person anyone could ever imagine doing housework

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a BA in Political Science and my job is based in the political field but I don't actually use my degree for it and could have gotten the job without the field related degree.

My other job has absolutely nothing to do with my degree

I love my job that is related to my field of study (most of the time) but would love to advance into something using my degree

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OPPPS forgot the none button

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you doing what you went to college for??? Nope. I changed majors 3 times in college and STILL had no clue what I wanted to do. I tried PT, Education and finally Psychology. I have no job right now, the closest I ever came to using it was when I was a counselor at a group home for disabled adults.

Did you finish your degree??
Took me 5 years, but I finished it.

If you will is it the same major you started??
Nope (see above)

The rest of the questions don't apply

I graduated college and got married right out of school. Followed my husband up and down the East Coast for 2 years. Took a LOOOOONNNNGGG time to have kids- and I decided I wanted to be at home with them. But I always knew I wanted to do SOMETHING with my life.

My youngest started 1st grade. I went back to school. I was originally thinking OT aide, it was a pretty quick program. Started with an English class, didn't do too badly in it. The decision to do something in healthcare was when I took an intro to biology class that second semester and I LOVED it.

I did a little resarch on OTA. Unfortunatly, the only way you can go up in the field is to get more than an associate's. You need a doctorate. The only doctorate program is 1.5 hours away from the house. Some courses could be taken online, but not all. And I was not jepordizing my family for it. So it was onto more research. I finally decided on nursing. I like helping people, the science part is kind of cool, and there is just so much you can do with it.

I've applied to both an associate's RN program, and a BSN.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graduated from high school early, went to college right away, graduated with my RN, and have continued to work with my degree for the past 24+ yrs..and will retire from this field I hope..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

.................added
thank you

I am a neither too ..

I have two yrs of a biology / nutritional science degree ... Only one job do I use any of that and that is with the animals....I merchandise mostly ... debateing online classes at the moment my brain needs to learn something

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you doing what you went to college for ? Since I studied Applied Learning and Development, and I'm raising a child, the answer is sort of...

Did you finish your degree? Yup, two.

If not will you finish it or think you will in the next five to ten years ? NA

If you will is it the same major you started? NA

If not working in what you learned about, how did you get into your field now? Got pregnant?

If you are working in your chosen field do you like it ?? yes

How long have you been doing your current job or type of work? 8 or 12 years, depending how you look at it.

If you didnt go to college how did you choose your current job? NA

and is it in the same field as when you got out of high school? NA

Hope your stress goes down, and you work things out!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I've been a domestic engineer for 9 years now.
No, I didn't choose it, in fact, I was the last person anyone could ever imagine doing housework
hehe that is awesome!

Are you doing what you went to college for ? Well, I'm just finishing my second year of education...but I am working in a related field right now as a youth leader....doing lessons with girls.

Did you finish your degree? Not Yet...2 more years to go!

If not will you finish it or think you will in the next five to ten years ? Yes!

If you will is it the same major you started? Yes (education - native studies major (done after this sem and minor is drama...done next year)

If not working in what you learned about, how did you get into your field now? Had an amazing oppertunity to work in an ESL classroom and then another amazing oppertunity when I was accepted into a direct entry to education program which pays my tution for 4 years.

If you are working in your chosen field do you like it ?? I absolutely love it.

How long have you been doing your current job or type of work? Off and on for the last 3 years.

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had some college; they were mostly adjunct courses to help with my second career. When I was 33 I had a totally different career path change. Several years after that, I added a second business.

It's never too late to try something new in the way of earning a living. I've always been of the opinion that you are not your job. It doesn't "define" you. You are more than just what you do for a living.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I don't think I apply to the poll...

I went to school for Graphic Design. Was doing poorly because I did not enjoy it, quit and got a graphic design internship. Realized it was fun but I really didn't enjoy GD so I started a 10 month program to become a Veterinary Assistant. Which I am in month 3 and I love it! First quarter was cats, second quarter is dogs, third is large animals like horses and cows and forth quarter is an externship.

And I don't even want to work as a vet assistant. I am doing this for my own knowledge of cats and dogs. To learn as much as possible. To open my own cat sanctuary someday.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good poll!! I enjoy hearing about other people's work.

Originally Posted by Sprocket

I've always been of the opinion that you are not your job. It doesn't "define" you. You are more than just what you do for a living.
See that's funny because I feel quite the opposite, though I think your attitude is a bit more healthy. My education was designed to pretty much take over your entire life (ie. the majority of us would spend most evenings and weekends at school working due to the sheer volume of work assigned) so it taught us to define ourselves through our education and by extention, through our careers. It's a bit sick, really if you think about it.

Now to answer the actual questions:

Are you doing what you went to college for ??? I studied Environmental Design (ex. Architecture, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture etc.) and am working in the design/engineering department for a furniture manufacturer, so it's related.
Did you finish your degree?? Yes
If not will you finish it or think you will in the next five to ten years ?? N/A
If you will is it the same major you started?? N/A
If not working in what you learned about, how did you get into your field now?? N/A
If you are working in your chosen field do you like it ?? Yes, it is something I find very challenging and therefore very stressful, mostly because I don't think it's actually something I'm capable of doing.
Now my job involves a lot of techinical details and in the future I know that's something I don't enjoy and would more like to concentrate on other areas of design.

How long have you been doing your current job or type of work?? About 1 1/2 years of work experience, 4 years of university.
If you didnt go to college how did you choose your current job? N/A
and is it in the same field as when you got out of high school??? N/A

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you doing what you went to college for ???
Not yet. I went to college for three things (actually four if you count now)... primarily pharmacy, and then philosophy and religion. I finished the coursework for a doctor of pharmacy, but never did the year's worth of externships because I didn't like being a pharmacist. I did get a bachelor's in religion/philosophy. Right now I'm a waitress.
I'm applying to an accelerated BSN nursing school for this coming Fall.

Did you finish your degree??
Yes, sort of. I finished one, not the other, and am in a third now.

If not will you finish it or think you will in the next five to ten years ? I'll never finish my pharmacy degree... I hope to finish the BSN here in two years.

If you will is it the same major you started??
No, but close... pharmacist, nurse... both in healthcare.

If not working in what you learned about, how did you get into your field now??
Waitressing makes decent money if you're good and don't mind being treated like the scum of the earth.
Pays more than student nursing positions (for now at least).

How long have you been doing your current job or type of work??
I've been waitressing for 7 months. I was a pharmacy intern the six years prior.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a BS in Biology and no I never worked in my field. Everyone wanted experience

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are all so interesting!!! I'm sort of doing what I went to school for, but not getting paid for it, LOL!

Are you doing what you went to college for ? Not as a profession. I went to college for applied Music. (bassoon)

Did you finish your degree? Actually, no. Aargh. I had 2 classes to take and I had the choice to stay and finish one last semester or move across the country with the man who is now my DH.

If not will you finish it or think you will in the next five to ten years ? Not this one, but maybe another one.

If you will is it the same major you started? Probably not.

If not working in what you learned about, how did you get into your field now? I was working fast food, and a man at the drive through offered me a job. Really.

If you are working in your chosen field do you like it ?? I play in two volunteer groups, and we still play the same music the professionals play. It's very fun. But it makes for a long day.

How long have you been doing your current job or type of work? I guess about 16 years. Wow. 10 years in my actual current job.

Actually I'm not really sure what I want to do when I grow up. I like computers. And I like Science, like biology.