TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › bleach
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

bleach

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
bleach kills alot of germs and disease. what about color safe bleach? obviously I can't pour a bleach solution on my carpeting. what about color safe bleach? does it have the same effect?
post #2 of 18
Even though it's colour safe, it might be too strong for your carpet. I dunno. I'd go with a specific carpet cleaning product first.
post #3 of 18
I don't know to be honest?. I use Ace bleach for any stubborn stains which is for clothing.

Is it a stain on your carpet that you have?
post #4 of 18
Color-safe bleach is not a disinfectant...if that's what you need to know. If you need to disinfect your carpet, you could use a Lysol spray. But I would be careful about using too much of any kind of chemicals on your carpet around your cats...the chemicals would be far worse for them than any potential germs (especially if they lick them off their paws and ingest them).
post #5 of 18
Try the carpet stuff then use lysol
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
No actually, I wish it was that simple. If anyone read my thread in the kitten care forum, I had some kittens in my apartment who ended up testing positive for Panleukopenia. They had access to my whole apartment pretty much and it is very contageous, airborne, and can live for like a year unless bleach is used.

I have to bleach everything as bleach is the only thing that kills it. I bought some Chlorox ColorSafe Bleach but it just looks and smells and is used like regular laundry detergent that I am worried that it doesn't quite kill germs like regular bleach does. They claim to on the container, but I just have a bad feeling you know? I have to put it in a carpet cleaner with a little Mr. Clean and do the carpeting, which is basically the entire apartment.
post #7 of 18
Oh, man! I'm so sorry to hear that...both for you and for the kittens.

I found this in the FAQs on Clorox's Web site:
Can Clorox 2® Bleach for Colors be used to disinfect clothing?
No. Clorox 2® Bleach for Colors is not registered as a disinfectant with the E.P.A. I'm part of a Yahoo group for people with CH cats, and there are a whole lot of people there who have experience dealing with Panleukopenia. (CH is most commonly caused by the exposure of unborn kittens to the Panleukopenia virus.) I'll see if anyone there has any suggestions for how to kill it in carpet.
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
thanks I would appreciate it!!
post #9 of 18
Color safe bleach does not disinfect as reg. bleach does. As far as I know, most disinfectant treatments are hazardous regarding .
post #10 of 18
Do not use Lysol, please!
Don't use ANYTHING containing phenols that your cat(s) can come into contact with.
Phenols are dangerous for kitties.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tari View Post
I'm part of a Yahoo group for people with CH cats, and there are a whole lot of people there who have experience dealing with Panleukopenia. (CH is most commonly caused by the exposure of unborn kittens to the Panleukopenia virus.) I'll see if anyone there has any suggestions for how to kill it in carpet.
And see if I am freaking out more then I need to be... the positive cats are gone, I am washing my clothes right now in color safe bleach. I am bleaching all the cages, carriers, food and water bowls and toys, collars and everything the kittens were in, played with, or slept on in real bleach. I also washed my own bedding and towels used in the cages. The carpet could use a cleaning anyways so I would just liketo do it right as far as the Panleuk goes.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
Do not use Lysol, please!
Don't use ANYTHING containing phenols that your cat(s) can come into contact with.
Phenols are dangerous for kitties.
no I won't use Lysol, don't worry
post #13 of 18
I tried to look into some disinfectant carpet cleaners and really came up with nothing substantial . The only thing I could suggest is Oxi Clean, Arm and Hammer baking soda, and a definite steam cleaning, which is the most important. Good looking out!
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
I tried to look into some disinfectant carpet cleaners and really came up with nothing substantial . The only thing I could suggest is Oxi Clean, Arm and Hammer baking soda, and a definite steam cleaning, which is the most important. Good looking out!
what I am worried about though is that Bleach is the only thing that kills it.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
what I am worried about though is that Bleach is the only thing that kills it.
That is how I was thinking.....Hate to admit it, especially don't want anyone here to think I am not extremely careful, but I bleach clean bathroom at least once a month. I know it is very dangerous for cats, so I am very careful to clean after I clean with bleach........... But any way, I know where your head is at, I had to throw out a carpet due to similar circumstances last year...........The sad thing is that even hospital disinfectants are hazardous even though they don't discolor. Feel you though
post #16 of 18
Jen, I've gotten one response back so far, and I wish it was more encouraging. I don't think you're over-reacting at all, and apparently neither does this person. This group tends to be really well-informed and has lots of experience, so I trust their advice. Here's the response:

Unfortuatly there is no 100% way of removing the virus from her home.
As I foster orphaned kittens I too have had this issue arise. There
is a spray on the market that claims to kill the virus but I cant
remember the name. She should ask her vet about this or maybe someone
else on the list can assist her.

Anything that she chooses to bleach should be soaked for at least 10
min. in a light concentration of bleach and water .. 1 part bleach to
32 parts water. I tossed out anything that I could that had been used
by the kittens. I even went as far as ripping out my existing
carpeting and replacing it. Prior to removing the carpet I sprayed it
with a bleach solution several times just so as to ensure that any of
the virus remaining in the carpet was not airborne. Once the old
carpet was removed I sprayed the subfloor with a bleach solution prior
to putting the new carpet down. Time is the only killer for this
virus. She might also want to change the filter in her vaccum cleaner
and furnace on a regular basis.

Any new cats that are introduced to her home should be vaccinated
prior to coming in.

Im sorry I cant be of more help .. even with all of the things I have
done it does not ensure that the virus has been eliminated from the
environment .. I did not introduce ANY cats or kittens into my home
for at least one year. I try to find out that name of that spray ..
if I should find it I will repost.

I'll keep an eye out for more info and post it back here for you as I get it.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
Hate to admit it, especially don't want anyone here to think I am not extremely careful, but I bleach clean bathroom at least once a month. I know it is very dangerous for cats, so I am very careful to clean after I clean with bleach.
Actually, I use bleach for most of my cleaning and disinfecting. I learned when I had a bird that bleach isn't as dangerous as I had thought. The bird vet recommended using nothing but bleach for cleaning his cage. That's because after it's done it's job, it breaks down into pretty harmless salts and water. So if you just make sure to keep the cats out of the area where the bleach was used for a while afterwards, it shouldn't do them any harm. I just close the bathroom door for an hour or two after I'm done cleaning it to make sure they don't get into it while it's still active.
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tari View Post
Jen, I've gotten one response back so far, and I wish it was more encouraging. I don't think you're over-reacting at all, and apparently neither does this person. This group tends to be really well-informed and has lots of experience, so I trust their advice. Here's the response:

Unfortuatly there is no 100% way of removing the virus from her home.
As I foster orphaned kittens I too have had this issue arise. There
is a spray on the market that claims to kill the virus but I cant
remember the name. She should ask her vet about this or maybe someone
else on the list can assist her.

Anything that she chooses to bleach should be soaked for at least 10
min. in a light concentration of bleach and water .. 1 part bleach to
32 parts water. I tossed out anything that I could that had been used
by the kittens. I even went as far as ripping out my existing
carpeting and replacing it. Prior to removing the carpet I sprayed it
with a bleach solution several times just so as to ensure that any of
the virus remaining in the carpet was not airborne. Once the old
carpet was removed I sprayed the subfloor with a bleach solution prior
to putting the new carpet down. Time is the only killer for this
virus. She might also want to change the filter in her vaccum cleaner
and furnace on a regular basis.

Any new cats that are introduced to her home should be vaccinated
prior to coming in.

Im sorry I cant be of more help .. even with all of the things I have
done it does not ensure that the virus has been eliminated from the
environment .. I did not introduce ANY cats or kittens into my home
for at least one year. I try to find out that name of that spray ..
if I should find it I will repost.

I'll keep an eye out for more info and post it back here for you as I get it.

ahhh what a pain. my new years resolution is to move by the end of the year, maybe I just shouldn't take in any more kitties until then. Just to keep it safe. Unless they are older and UTD on their Panleuk vaccination. I would be too worried to take the chances and risk them getting it. For now I will clean the carpets and bleach everything else.

Please let me know if you think of the name of that spray.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › bleach