good people food

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any people food that is actually beneficial to fee my cat. Well I was reading a cat food website and they stated that the food contained cranberries for urinary tract health. So if I feed them cranberries could it help their urinary tract health? What other foods could help their health?

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well IMO any fresh, real food that isn't toxic, is beneficial. Think of it as eating a snack of carrot sticks instead of a packaged granola bar. Which is healthier for YOU (and has the most health benefits)?

Fresh meats are best, as cats are obligate carnivores. Cut off small slivers of the meat you're preparing for dinner, as a treat for the cat. Some cats will eat veggies too. Buddy ate an asparagus head the other day
but keep in mind that they don't digest plant matter well (being carnivores and all).

And be sure to follow toxicity lists closely. You dont want to give them anything that could hurt them! (of course).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cranberry powder is benificial ... BUT talk to your vet before adding any "people food" or supplement to kitties diet ...

I find people food too be very good two of mine eat raw meat but that too needs some vet guidence

Most vets arent nutrtion experts but they are the first place to start before ADDING things into the diet ...

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maxy, were you looking at implimenting people food as part of your cats meals? Or just as treat substitutes?

So long as it's less than 10% of your cats daily intake of food (which IMO is still high), you shouldn't need to consult your vet. Some vets will NOT support any feeding of "people food" and unless you're looking at a serious diet change, I wouldn't feel it's necessary to approach your vet about this.

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have heard of some cats actually being allergic to some varieties of fish/shellfish. I apologize that I don't have a source link for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of it like a supplement. I'm sure there are probably pills I can get that will do things like promote a healthy urinary tract but it would be easier to just give stuff we already had, it would not be his meals or even as treats, more supplements was what i was thinking, I need to switch them to a better food anyway so I may not need to supplement at all it was just a thought, thanks for the responses so far!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feed my boys people food, but Bayley loves boiled chicken breasts. I'll cook one up for him and keep it in the fridge and then a few times a week he'll eat that instead of his wet food. Its a nice treat and a little variety that he loves.

Harley will not eat anything of that sorts, but sometimes he'll have some boiled chicken.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hummm would you like some suggestions::???
hehe
I'm actually thinking about Felidae, it seems slightly better than chicken soup but is still cheap (my parents will not switch if it is too expensive) Thanks for the offer though, how do you feel about Felidae?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

hehe
I'm actually thinking about Felidae, it seems slightly better than chicken soup but is still cheap (my parents will not switch if it is too expensive) Thanks for the offer though, how do you feel about Felidae?
I really like the chn and rice felidea .... chicken soup at a feed store is very reasonable

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chicken soup at a feed store is very reasonable
oh yes, I was not referring to the price as less good, it was the ingredients they are both good but the Felidae seems a little better. I've been searching the site and some people are saying that Felidae is very expensive. I've gone on websites of stores in my area but none list the price. Is Felidae much more expensive than chicken soup? And yes I do plan on getting the chk and rice formula. How is your experience with it? I am very indecisive, we need a cheap food but I'm afraid they will not do well on it and my parents will make them go back to purina. I search the site and some people have great luck and some have cats that hate the food or do very bad on it. We'll see what happens, my dad is still not too keen on the idea of switching, he sees no reason for it, but he'll eventually let me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used it for a bag and went back to Nutro ... my Zoeys coat just went bad on Felidea ( every cat is different)... her coat came back within half a bag of her Natural choice ... Felidea has more coat sonditioners than chn soup ... But Chn soup I could get for 8 buck for six lb bag or 17 for a 18 lb ..Mine all seem sensitive to chn soup so never actually been thru a full bag . felidea is 10-12 for the 6lb and 25-29 for the 20lb