Just because "you" have my personal email address...

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it doesn't mean I want you to email me work related stuff while I am on vacation.

A coworker just emailed me something work related to my personal email address. I don't know about you, but when I am on vacation I like to get my mind as far away from work as possible. It's kind of odd and annoying that someone would do that IMO. It wasn't anything I needed to know about now.

/end rant

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why not put it on filter or just do not look at it till you are ready to return to work????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Why not put it on filter or just do not look at it till you are ready to return to work????
I'm not looking for a solution. Just having myself a rant. There isn't any way I can create a filter to sort this type of email out.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would reply back making it very clear that I like to use the personal email address for personal reasons, not work related reasons. Any issues that need your attention can be addressed when you get back.

Copy your boss on it too.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rant away! I'm totally with you on this one. I know someone who went away to Newfoundland for her vacation (she works in Ontario with me), and another coworker asked if she could have her cellphone number in case she needed to get in contact with her while she was on vacation. My coworker told her that cell phones don't work in Newfoundland.
(Which tells you what a dunce the other woman was, because she believed her!)

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
, good one on that, especially if it was spur of the moment timing, my hat off to them.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only 3 people out of 40 at work know my personal e-mail address because just like my mobile number it's personal, so i know the 3 that have it wouldn't dream of contacting me about work anyway.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
totally agree with you - and aint it totally annoying when they pass your details onto a co-worker saying - 'aww its ok, you know them from work'

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could send this coworker an email something like this:

So here I am, lounging by the pool with a pitcher of daiquiris while this very handsome young man applies sunscreen to my shoulders, and I receive your email regarding some little problem at the office.

Well, dear... it was lovely of you to think of me, but let me assure you that unless the office was actually on fire, I would not drop what I'm doing and come running.

In fact, even if the office IS on fire, I really don't give a... ahhh, yessss... thank you, Emilio, that's verrrry nice...

Think that might make your point?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have every right to be POd. Personal email addresses and phone numbers are for personal use. If you needed to keep in touch while on vacation, you'd have let them know how and in what circumstances it was OK. Absent that information, it's not OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Perhaps you could send this coworker an email something like this:

So here I am, lounging by the pool with a pitcher of daiquiris while this very handsome young man applies sunscreen to my shoulders, and I receive your email regarding some little problem at the office.

Well, dear... it was lovely of you to think of me, but let me assure you that unless the office was actually on fire, I would not drop what I'm doing and come running.

In fact, even if the office IS on fire, I really don't give a... ahhh, yessss... thank you, Emilio, that's verrrry nice...

Think that might make your point?

OMG that is THE best! There is only one problem - I am a heterosexual male so telling my coworker about Emilio might minimize the real point of the email.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cubbie

OMG that is THE best! There is only one problem - I am a heterosexual male so telling my coworker about Emilio might minimize the real point of the email.
Well call her Emily and fire the silly thing off!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tsk- what a workshy lazy lot you are

I'd be pleased to get such an e-mail, I often worry about work when I'm not there

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'm thrilled if I'm called less than three times a day when I'm on vacation

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a major pet peeve of mine I work part time at two jobs, one of them freaks if the other calls me on a day I work there but don't hesitate to call me 6 times a day, or email me on my other work email address or personal one to ask questions

I would definitely send the Emily email back if I were you

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally went agro on someone (okay, the most annoying volunteer ever!) who emailed my home email about work stuff. She doesn't do it anymore.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

Personally, I'm thrilled if I'm called less than three times a day when I'm on vacation
lol about the same,, i can still expect calls and emails about what or how do we do this.