TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › I'm Looking for a Un or low scent litter.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm Looking for a Un or low scent litter.....

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
That really cover's the odor! We've tried a few but keep going back to Scoop Away, Multiple cat. It smells awful, very floral but it seems to be the best at covering the "cat" smell. And YES, I scoop both boxes everyday We just have a small house and two STINKY cats
post #2 of 15
Could it perhaps be the food?

I like A&H High Performance. I mix that one with Swheat scoop.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
You know, I've thought about that .They just switched to better food and the smell hasn't chased us out of the room since then, so yeah...it definately could have been the food
Does Swheat Scoop clump pretty well? I haven't tried it yet. If you mix it with the A&H what ratio works best 1/2 & 1/2 ?
Thanks
post #4 of 15
I just mix it to my liking. I've never been good at the exact measurements thing! Usually more Swheat than A&H, but that depends.

As for Swheat clumping, IMO it works well. But, other people will say different. I would start trying litters to see what you & your kitties like. I like Swheat, but I'm sure there are others here who don't. I'm using Special Kitty multi cat with crystals clumping litter in the upstairs boxes & I really like it so far! I also use Tidy Cats, I'm currently trying Hy-Vee(its a grocery store) brand litter. I like to try new things. I usually mix litters, too. Like in the Special Kitty boxes, every day when I scoop I add new litter, which happens to be Scoop Away.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I'm using Special Kitty multi cat with crystals clumping litter in the upstairs boxes & I really like it so far!
we're using that and target's litter right now. although the target litter is definitely more perfumey than the walmart stuff. so i've got that mixed in one box, the other 2 are just the special kitty.

i haven't tried hy-vee's litter, but we've used Schnuck's scooping litter before. the unscented and multi-cat are both pretty good. i switched to walmart's because it came in a bag, rather than 14lb plastic jugs. i didn't want to be throwing away that much plastic every month.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
The A&H looks interesting. I didn't know that they made a clay free litter! And it's flushable We'll definately try it Mixed with the Swheat it probably smells better too. My nose is SO sensitive combined with allergies to anything floral Sorry, guess I'm whining a little
post #7 of 15
The A&H is scented. I found that when I mixed it with the Swheat, the scent wasnt much, enough to cover poops smells! I dunno how to describe the smell of A&H...IMO it smells good. It is really strong when you use just the A&H, though!
post #8 of 15
The litter that I like the best (that also seem to be the most expensive around here ) is called Maxx Air I think (we get it at Walmart). Its available in blue or green boxes, blue being multi-cat with no scent (which is what we use) Its also extremely low on dust. I recently tried out a few other brands and I'm amazed at how dusty they all are! I read on here that clay clumping is supposedly really dusty, but our litter never was, so I thought everyone here was a little wonky But now I realize how dusty some stuff really is But we've got 5 cats at the house, and we've never had issues with smelly poops (unless someone has the runs of course lol)
post #9 of 15
I've always used crystals litter. There is absolutely no odor until the box is time to be washed/cleaned.
post #10 of 15
I just got a 40lb bag of ExquisiCat clumping litter @ Petsmart for $10.00 and I LOVE it! It really covers any sorts of 'smells' and clumps very well. We got the scented stuff and I don't like that, next time I'm going to get the unscented and see.

We used to use Tidy Cats and it just didn't do the job for us anymore.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
The litter that I like the best (that also seem to be the most expensive around here ) is called Maxx Air I think (we get it at Walmart). Its available in blue or green boxes, blue being multi-cat with no scent (which is what we use) Its also extremely low on dust. I recently tried out a few other brands and I'm amazed at how dusty they all are! I read on here that clay clumping is supposedly really dusty, but our litter never was, so I thought everyone here was a little wonky But now I realize how dusty some stuff really is But we've got 5 cats at the house, and we've never had issues with smelly poops (unless someone has the runs of course lol)
it's Maxx Cat, and is what I'm pretty sure is tidyCats for canadians...The folks can't get it from the states
I use it too, it has an anti bacterial element to it...although I do find it smells like babypowder. I really liked the Dr's one (can't remember the name of that one) but found it smelled up quickly. Been mixing the two, since I think Maxx Cat could improve on the clumping and it seems to be working rather well.
Just a hint, you can buy it in larger boxes at petsmart and I got some in a box from Canadian tire on sale a couple weeks ago...its a bit of a savings since you don't need to buy the plastic tub.
post #12 of 15
There is a brand that Costco sells, that is a 30lb container. I think it's called Littermate.... anywho, it's a green container. It's got virtually no smell at all. And it's the cheapest littler $$$ I've been able to find, too. It clumps great and the kids seem to like it okay.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylorna View Post
it's Maxx Cat, and is what I'm pretty sure is tidyCats for canadians...The folks can't get it from the states
I use it too, it has an anti bacterial element to it...although I do find it smells like babypowder. I really liked the Dr's one (can't remember the name of that one) but found it smelled up quickly. Been mixing the two, since I think Maxx Cat could improve on the clumping and it seems to be working rather well.
Just a hint, you can buy it in larger boxes at petsmart and I got some in a box from Canadian tire on sale a couple weeks ago...its a bit of a savings since you don't need to buy the plastic tub.
I buy it in the 11kg boxes and they cost me $9.96+tax. I don't have a Petsmart around here, just a Pets Unlimited, and I've never noticed that litter there. I went to my Canadian Tire last week and they had a 'no name brand' cat litter (I think it was around 10kg) for $5. I bought it and have been clearing the smoke ever since! Our crappy tire doesn't seem to carry much in the way of animal goodies.
post #14 of 15
I like using the A&H Multi Cat or Super Scoop. Those work well with us.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
I buy it in the 11kg boxes and they cost me $9.96+tax. I don't have a Petsmart around here, just a Pets Unlimited, and I've never noticed that litter there. I went to my Canadian Tire last week and they had a 'no name brand' cat litter (I think it was around 10kg) for $5. I bought it and have been clearing the smoke ever since! Our crappy tire doesn't seem to carry much in the way of animal goodies.
I'm not sure how much my box weighs...enough that my arms hurt! I guess I lucked out with a pretty good Canadian tire near me. In terms of the "discount brands" I've tried Superpet and Petsmart and would never use either of them again...I'm pretty sensitive to the dust. Oh well, someday I'll find something that works on all levels, till then I get to get my stirring arm ready!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › I'm Looking for a Un or low scent litter.....