How to get a cat to eat soft food

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello. I want to convince Tristan he needs to eat some soft food - or raw like Nature's Variety medallions. He quite literally thinks that soft food is nothing more than Poo. I can't even put water in his kibble. That's a BIG no no. But for the good of his health, I want him to eat soft food.

So... HOW do you convince him that it's okay to eat it???

Scamperfarms suggested I introduce him to Nature's Variety with the medallions. Uh how? lol

Charity
Faith Hope Love Persians

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you could get lucky like me, but I'm sure my case is an odd one. Have you tried offering him the NV raw medallions? With my Beandip, he had turned his nose up at every variety of "wet" food that I could get my hands on, but he will eat those medallions with gusto.
It shocked me, but I'm not going to fight it.

On another note, I can get Beandip to eat an ounce or two of canned food at a time, if I offer it on my finger
He usually loses interest after a few bites on his own, though...so it's probably not much help.

If you're putting it in a bowl, maybe try a saucer. They usually don't like bowls for wet.

There is some good info here:

http://catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dr...o_Canned_Food_

I'm sure others will come along with more suggestions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest starting with something yummy like meow mix or the new sheba tubs .... then mix it with the raw

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I suggest starting with something yummy like meow mix or the new sheba tubs .... then mix it with the raw

those sheba tubs are quite tasty. i did my own personal taste test.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

those sheba tubs are quite tasty. i did my own personal taste test.
You are braver than I ... i will eat dry and treats for taste testing but no canned

[email protected]

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been told it's not a problem if they only eat dry food, as long as it's good quality (vet recommended) and they always have water down. My boy ate dry for 2 years until i got my girl who was weaned onto wet and then he took a fancy to it. Normally you would just add a tiny bit of wet to the dry food, increasing amounts slowly, to introduce any new food.xxx good luck

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also got lucky when I started to introduce wet foor in December. At first I gave them their normal dry food in the morning and wet in the evening. Fortunately, most of them liked it immediately. Stumper was a bit resistant. If she refused the wet I'd wait a while and finally let her have a small amount of dry. She gradually got used to it. In January I switched them to all wet when Eric developed diabetes. No problems so far.

The web site beandip mentioned is excellent. Although I didn't have to use all the tricks mentioned there I kept them in mind as I transitioned my cats.

Good luck getting Tristan to eat his wet food. There are many benefits to a partial or all wet diet.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought the NV medallions and have had zero luck with it so far. But, my trick to getting them to eat wet is to take their dry food away in the morning, so they are prety hungry when I get home from work. Then I give them each a half can of the 3 oz. Merrick's wet food, and they eat it pretty well. I too am trying to start giving my cats more wet, and although I felt bad, starving them
worked the best.