Thinking of cutting my hair.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have REALLY long hair.. It's down to to my waist, red, thick and curly. I've been wanting to change my style a bit.I usually get it layered a bit but keep the length... I'm thinking about possibly cutting it off to my shoulders. I'm such a chicken when it comes to change though

I had REALLY short hair as a kid (thanks mom
) and hated it. I think it traumatized me
because I have had it long for about 10 years.
Here's a pic of what it looks like now

Help me decide guys! I'm such a chicken about it.
Should I cut it off? Or should I just do my usual layering?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been seriously thinking about cutting mine off too, mine is almost down to the small of my back, and the really weird thing is that I cannot stand to have it down
so I always have it up in a ponytail or a jaw clip. I say we both cut it off!! I've had mine this long for about 12 years, its time to go!! I'm going to get it cut to just below my shoulders

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I've been seriously thinking about cutting mine off too, mine is almost down to the small of my back, and the really weird thing is that I cannot stand to have it down
so I always have it up in a ponytail or a jaw clip. I say we both cut it off!! I've had mine this long for about 12 years, its time to go!! I'm going to get it cut to just below my shoulders
I'm such a scaredy cat Katie
I'm going to the salon at 1 today... so the decision has to be made before then

Problem is, all I hear is "OMG you're hair is SOO beautiful!" and "WOW, I LOVE your hair!"

Guess they don't know what it's like having to take 30 mins a day out of your life JUST to brush it... go through 2 bottles of conditioner a week, use special crap on it JUST to be able to brush it out and always having it in my face..... ALWAYS..

Btw, I rarely wear mine down too..
It's always pulled into a ponytail to keep it out of my face

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should cut it off and donate it to Locks of Love!
Just remember - it's only hair, it will grow back.
I say this after having also had waist-length hair as a kid and having a traumatizingly short cut by my mom. I got over it; I've grown out and chopped it off a number of times over the years. It's fun to change it up!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joanne511

Just remember - it's only hair, it will grow back.
I say this after having also had waist-length hair as a kid and having a traumatizingly short cut by my mom. I got over it; I've grown out and chopped it off a number of times over the years. It's fun to change it up!
A number of years ago, I cut almost 11 inches off and donated it!

And I met the little girl who recieved it too.. It was a touching experience

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From someone who also had waist-length hair for the past few years since my mom cut it too short...I loved my hair long, but I got it cut short (shoulder length) on a whim last December. I also got it cut very badly (not going back there again) but after it was fixed
I love it short and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it too. Like others have said, it will always grow back if you decide you don't like it!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I'm such a scaredy cat Katie
I'm going to the salon at 1 today... so the decision has to be made before then

Problem is, all I hear is "OMG you're hair is SOO beautiful!" and "WOW, I LOVE your hair!"

Guess they don't know what it's like having to take 30 mins a day out of your life JUST to brush it... go through 2 bottles of conditioner a week, use special crap on it JUST to be able to brush it out and always having it in my face..... ALWAYS..

Btw, I rarely wear mine down too..
It's always pulled into a ponytail to keep it out of my face
I feel ya Alycia, I'm a big scaredy cat too, A few years ago I got about 4 inches cut off and I freaked cause even that felt like I was missing a piece of me
and I get the oohs and ahs too, when I have it down
but like you said, I am SO sick of taking care of it and I don't even do half of what you do
my ex sister in law does my family's hair at my aunt's house, and the next scheduled appt is April 17th... if I can take it for that long, I am ready for mine to GO!!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joanne511

That's what I did after Christmas -- I had waist-length, curly, dark brown hair, and my little sister chopped it off at my shoulders (she does a very nice job). It took me a little while to actually get around to mailing the hair, but I finally did and I received a lovely thank-you letter in reply. It felt really good to know I was helping others, so now I'm growing it out again to do it all over again!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would chop off some of the length. Right now you are restricted to what you can do with it-you will be pleased to have more options when its shorter.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I woudl cut it shorter. Even if you don't like it shorter, it will grow back! I cut my just above my shoulders when it was halfway down my back. Now, it's like 1 1/2" long!
Long hair takes so much work & then you just throw it back....it's pointless!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I woudl cut it shorter. Even if you don't like it shorter, it will grow back! I cut my just above my shoulders when it was halfway down my back. Now, it's like 1 1/2" long!
Long hair takes so much work & then you just throw it back....it's pointless!
I would be afraid to cut it. I had 12 inches taken off in 99 and it still won't grow back. It used to be down to my butt.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and me are alike both with the same type hair. I took the leap I cut it off to just below my shoulders. I loved it but now I am growing it back and I bet I do the same thing again next year. Change is good at times.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so um, yeah.. I chickened out
I only got it layered again... BUT I'm thinking about putting some highlights in it.. or low lights.. or burgandy streaks....... I'm so confused

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Ok so um, yeah.. I chickened out
I only got it layered again... BUT I'm thinking about putting some highlights in it.. or low lights.. or burgandy streaks....... I'm so confused
Wimp!!! I'm still gonna do mine though

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came into this thread late, but I knew that you wouldn't do it as I was reading the original post!
I'm glad you didn't, its gorgeous long!