What does everyone do for a living?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure this thread has been posted before, but for the newer members, where do you work or what do you do? And, do you like your job?

I work in a call center that handles calls for a federal employees retirement plan. I give out information about their accounts and assist them in doing withdrawals and loans from their account. I also get yelled at on a regular basis for mistakes on their part, which can really get on my nerves. My job is basically easy but I don't really like it because I can only give info, I can't really help process their requests and I certainly can't change IRS rules! It gets frustrating at times.

Anyone else?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an electrical & instrumentation designer/drafter for the largest privately owned engineering firm in Louisiana. While the firm has an architecture department and a land surverying department, the largest department is engineering. We do oil & gas work.....production platforms offshore in the Gulf of Mexico as well as plants and refineries onshore. Basically, I do a lot of drawing of panels and wiring diagrams in AutoCAD.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I am an electrical & instrumentation designer/drafter for the largest privately owned engineering firm in Louisiana. While the firm has an architecture department and a land surverying department, the largest department is engineering. We do oil & gas work.....production platforms offshore in the Gulf of Mexico as well as plants and refineries onshore. Basically, I do a lot of drawing of panels and wiring diagrams in AutoCAD.
errr i dont suppose you could get them to hire me and ship off to indoensia , it would make my wife very happy
lol

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well besides being a wife, mother, step-mom, cat mom I also am a full time receptionist in a fairly big law firm - 13 lawyers...with assistants, accountant, etc there are 45 of us in total. I work the main switchboard, so that's eight incoming lines, 2 internal lines. I also greet and check in all people coming in. I process all in coming deliveries. I also handle all the faxes coming in. I use to like my job all the time, now I like it sometimes. Some days I down right want to just get up and walk out the door. Quit on the spot...although I'm to responsible for that...although some days I wish I wasn't.

And on top of that I have a cleaning job that I do once a week. That takes me about 5 hours to do. So far I like it, I've only done it twice now....and both times my body was screaming in pain afterwards...not at all like cleaning the house....whewwwwww

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, tehcnically, not much since I'm still a full-time student (My major is flute performance).

I work for a not-for-profit artist-run Chamber Music collective that specializes in musical outreach and accessibility of classical music. I'm the Development Assistant, so in addition to being the youngest and newest and therefore assuming all errand-running and phone-answering and filing and bill-paying services, I help handle grant proposals and individual donorship.

HOPING (knock on wood!!) to also get a teaching gig...I've applied for 2 now and haven't heard back, but I'd be teaching individual and small-group lessons to young flutists.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a professional TCSer.

In all reality, I'm unemployed
But I like this job title better

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I'm a Directory Assistance Operator. It's not as glamorous as it sounds
I am self employed with two businesses. 20+ years as a massage therapist and 15+ years sewing business.
xxxxxxx they are "our" phone company
My husband works in the commercial HVAC industry. One of his company's biggest clients in this area is xxxxxxx. They service/maintain over 350 cell tower locations.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I handle customer service/office stuff at my family furniture business. Basically I'm a way overpaid secretary, but I don't mind.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Full time student and almost full-time collections something
I work for a repossession company - not a feel-good job at all - people always very cranky with us. But, it is a flexible job that allows me to attend classes when I need to. It will do for a few more months until I graduate THEN will I get a splendid career doing something I love that pays oodles of money (oops, must have fallen asleep and dreamed again)! I have already done my rotation at McDonald's years ago - hopefully I won't have to go back.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutley nothing
happily retired and love every minute of it. It is like being a child again, I play on the computer, I play in the garden, I play with my cross stitch and I even occasionally play at doing some housework