Anyone possibly know the artist of this song?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This has been driving me nuts. There is a remake version of Gershwin's Summertime that I think came out in the early 90s. It has an urban beat to it. It tends to make airplay a couple of times a year on alternative/rock stations.

I heard it on the radio a couple of days ago and of course have no idea what radio station it was. Google is no help and Wikipedia states that there are an estimated 2,600 different versions recorded. So does anyone have any ideas?

I wish I could record my thoughts and stick somewhere for you to hear what I'm talking about. Now to really date myself: I used to work in a record store (LPs with a few CDs) and it drove me nuts when a customer would come in and describe a MTV video (back when MTV played Music Videos). Usually it was - what song is it where there is a white guy singing with 3 black guys behind him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The lyrics are here. The song was originally written for Porgy and Bess. It has been done in jazzy/blues/operatic styles. I'm looking for one particular version that had a more modern almost hip-hop beat.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a DJ, and I'll bet if you call a few radio stations and ask to talk to the program directors, you'll get put through to some mildly disturbed individuals who know everything there is to know about their chosen genres. I'd try jazz, r&b, hiphop, easy listening...

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Nina Simone's version so much, I never pay attention to any others.

Did you try searching on limewire????

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

The lyrics are here. The song was originally written for Porgy and Bess. It has been done in jazzy/blues/operatic styles. I'm looking for one particular version that had a more modern almost hip-hop beat.
those lyrics wont dysplay for me..got another site with those lyrics?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sang it in a show once years ago... such a great song. The lyrics are:

Summertime...
And the livin is easy
Fish are jumpin
And the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy is rich
And your mama's good-lookin
So hush, little baby
Don't you cry

Some of these mornins
You're gonna rise up singin
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky
But 'til that mornin
There ain't nothin can harm you
With daddy and mammy
Standin by

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have no clue...wow..usually I can get stuff like this but I am at a total loss.
I keep seeing Sublime as a group that covered it in the 90's. they can pull off many sounds..sure it wasnt them?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the only song with the title Summertime that is a hip-hop song that I can think of is the one by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (The Fresh Prince is also known as Will Smith
) Fantasia also did a version of it while on American Idol, but that would be too recent

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

i have no clue...wow..usually I can get stuff like this but I am at a total loss.
I keep seeing Sublime as a group that covered it in the 90's. they can pull off many sounds..sure it wasnt them?
I agree. Are you thinking of the Sublime version? If so, it was released by them as a single and is actually called "Doin' Time".

Is this it? http://www.thehumphries.org/sound/su...summertime.mp3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I agree. Are you thinking of the Sublime version? If so, it was released by them as a single and is actually called "Doin' Time".

Is this it? http://www.thehumphries.org/sound/su...summertime.mp3
This is the version - I had hubby running around the internet looking too. He found it just before you posted.
Thanks everyone - this was beginning to bug me to no end.

And I found out that there are some people who really like this song. One site said they had over 6000 different recordings of this.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that song - and I particularly liked Fantasia's version of it on American Idol - it brought tears to my eyes!